In need of an anime nerd

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby SkaBob » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:10 pm

You won't miss much not reading the manga...Details, to be sure, but I'm not upset that I haven't read them... heh
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Beetard » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:39 pm

I think FLCL is the one exception to the rule that the voices are better in Japanese.

Normally the english voice acting is really crappy, but I actually think they did an awesome job with it in FLCL.

I like Naruto, but that's teeny-bopper for sure. My favorite episodes are the ones where Naruto is learning the rasengan (somewhere around episode 70) Maximum power, maximum rotation!
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:15 am

it appears FLCL is out of print and the 6 epi set is like... way expensive heh.

if anyone comes across a used one for cheap, let me know.

i'm usually willing to pay up to $2-3 an episode for a series (with this i'd probably be willing to go closer to $5 per). the $9 an epi that seems to be the going rate on the boxed set is unreasonable to me. most of the pawn shop anime i buy is at like $0.75 an epi or so.

i sold some guitar gear today and used a small % of the money towards speed grapher... which is way f'd up in a good way.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Blink » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:24 am

Ah well I don't usually buy anime, I just download it since I keeps it real. I won't watch it that many times, but I have some saved, like FLCL.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:31 am

hehe...

as i do with movies, music, etc...

if something is gonna be good (or i know is good) i have no problem buying it and supporting those that made it so that they can continue to make things that are good enough to buy.
Blake_T

Postby SkaBob » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:08 am

Beetard wrote:I think FLCL is the one exception to the rule that the voices are better in Japanese.

Desert Punk (which is also a great series) is AWESOME in english. It's funny in Japanese but it's SIDE SPLITTINGLY funny in english
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby Beetard » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:02 am

Blake, sometimes they run FLCL on cartoon network's Adult Swim. If I see it coming up, I'll let you know. It is possible that I could have some of the episodes recorded on a vhs tape. If so, the tape is not properly labeled and amongst 30 other improperly marked and unmarked tapes. Trying to find it would probably result in the demise of my obsolete vcr.

Hey Blink, do you have a program that will let you burn downloaded video to a disc?
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Postby Blink » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:09 am

Like 6 years ago when I had a crappier computer I actually burned a few music videos on a disc real fast to show a friend, and all I did was drag the files onto the disc drive icon. I haven't really tried burning videos often though. I think windows media player can do it.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Jerrod » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:48 pm

I cannot recommend Paranoia Agent enough!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433722/

Comparable perhaps to the works of David Lynch, Satoshi Kon's enigmatic, sprawling masterpiece of ontological complexity will whisper dangerous truths in you ear: Mougenhouyou. The characters, like the story itself, split from a single iteration into an ebbing question-mark. Set in modern-day Japan, the critique of a globally-realized consumer-captilalism, embodied in the "ad-hoc relief" of material goods and childhood icons, is overshadowed by a larger remark of the ephemoral nature of life itself. Melded with an array of postwar historical references, the anthropomorphic fractal which this series becomes collapses in upon itself, becoming a singularity, the obscurity of which is its clarity. There's no way to discuss "Paranoia Agent" without paradox; there is no other time during which it could have been made than now. All of us are in the Sage's equation...
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby SkaBob » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:15 pm

ooo!! I'll second the recommendation for paranoia agent! that series is SERIOUSLY messed up, and REALLY cool...
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:15 pm

Bleach is exellent
Outlaw star is a good series
Gungrave has an exellent story
Naruto is pretty easy to get wrapped up in (dubbed version is shit)
Samurai Champloo is pretty stylish
Black Lagoon is supposed to be great
FLCL is a classic
Scrapped Princess
GITS stand alone complex
Neon Genisis Evangellion is pretty good
Death note is a pretty good series
Trigun is one of my favorites
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Beetard » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:19 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:Bleach is exellent
Outlaw star is a good series
Gungrave has an exellent story
Naruto is pretty easy to get wrapped up in (dubbed version is shit)
Samurai Champloo is pretty stylish
Black Lagoon is supposed to be great
FLCL is a classic
Scrapped Princess
GITS stand alone complex
Neon Genisis Evangellion is pretty good
Death note is a pretty good series
Trigun is one of my favorites

You said it, Jessekun! Sorry, that's a running joke from a different Jesse I know. The only good dubbed voice was Zabuza's. (Steven Blum) Too bad that guy died so early in the series. He was a pimp.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Postby Blink » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:45 pm

Likely because voice acting is pretty huge in Asia. They're basically celebrities, and probably get paid way more than American voice actors.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:25 pm

a lot of it has to do with the fact that asian languages are VERY inflection and pitch based. also, most of the inflection and pitch shifts are gender based as well.

most western languages don't have things like that.

animation isn't as big here but there are talented voice actors/actresses.
higher budget series get the talented voice people to fill in the minor roles and extras. lower budget series get whomever happens to be in the studio that day to do the minor voices... which are often bad enough to ruin a scene.
Blake_T

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:33 am

Very true. Sometimes when I see a dub version of something, I wonder if the voice actor even saw the original version b/c his or her inflections can be so far off the mark from the original. I will say though, that American dubs have gotten much better in recent years, and in some cases I actually prefer the American to the Japanese. Cowboy Bebob for example...the english cast does a great job, and I just can't watch too much of the Japanese Edward.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.