In need of an anime nerd

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:40 am

well... for an update on stuff... been dropping series left and right hehe. running out of "good ones." a few of my pawn shop hookups have yielded decent results in tracking down some used stuff for cheap (used domestic sets for like $20, used import sets for like $10). when it's mega cheap i don't exert much discretion when buying (if it's under $10 for a series i'll pretty much buy anything) which has been pocketbook friendly but it thins out the quality of stuff being watched.

in the past couple of weeks have knocked out gunslinger girl, samurai champloo, samurai 7, saikano, and we're about 27 epi's into death note (should be done with it by the end of the week).

we really enjoyed samurai champloo and saikano. death note is good yet not that good at the same time... but it at least keeps the interest level up for the most part even if it's in a sopranos kind of way (like 1 important thing happens every 23 minutes).

have scraped on these but none have really pulled us in:
xenosaga
noir
boogiepop phantom
ninja scroll

stuff on the shelf in line to be watched:
stuff on the shelf:
green green
excel saga
elfen lied
x
grenadier
maburaho
ar juna
witch hunter robin
s.cry.ed

my gut instinct tends to hold up pretty well. watching 6000+ movies gives me a nose for that stuff :P

if anyone has used that they want to get rid of i'm looking to buy these:
love hina - complete series w/ sub and dub. can be import or domestic

saikano - complete series. must be a domestic release. i liked this one enough to want it for posterity. my import version has all 13 epi's on 1 disc w/ craptastic bitrate.

moon phase - complete series w/ sub and dub. can be import or domestic.

basilisk - complete series w/ sub and dub. can be import or domestic.

dot.hack roots - complete series w/ sub and dub and the sub can't be engrish. import or domestic.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:01 am

s.cry.ed is a decent enough series,Excel Saga is both super annoying and hilarious at the same time,X held my interest throughout but was nothing to write home about.......I think thats all ive seen off your upcoming list....have you checked out XXX holic yet? its a fairly entertaining little comedy series...hmmmm what else you've seen Berserk right? thats an old favorite of mine..more recomendations as i remember them :?
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:19 am

i got s.cry.ed for $9 and excel saga for $7. figured they were worth taking a shot at.

i got discs 2-8 of X for $1.75 each and then had to pay $8 for disc 1. figured that was also worth taking a shot at.

haven't seen xxxholic or berserk. i'll try to dig up some info on them.
Blake_T

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:53 am

definitely get ahold of Berserk, good story, plenty of action,nice artwork. Did you get your hands on any Black Lagoon yet? i cant recommend that show enough, the fan-sub import ive got is a little shitty but im told there is better ones. try shooting LordByron01 a PM he's a HUGE anime nerd and has a super extensive collection, he will prolly be willing to part with some series on the cheap or at least point you in the direction of some more obscure good series to check out
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby Blink » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:35 am

Berserk makes saving private ryan look like the teletubbies.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:23 pm

haha.

i dunno. i'm not a huge fan of ultra-violence unless it has to be that way. i worry at times if there's too much focus on stylized violence that the story will suffer because they try to hard at awe/wow factor.

is lordbyron01 on the board here? i've been MIA

been lookin for black lagoon... haven't found a decent, affordable release yet.
Blake_T

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Berserk is not as violent as blink has made it out as and the story is superb, there is definitly some people getting chopped in it but thats far from all it has to offer. lordbyron01 is on these boards and is a personal friend of mine he should be able to point you in the right direction
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby Blake_T » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:28 pm

LordByron has been helpful with some recommendations. i'm going to give berserk and gungrave a shot if some pop up here. a pawn shop was charging $80 for the whole berserk set which is outside of my budget.

finished death note. the series was either 6 epi's too short or 6 epi's too long. my gf missed the last 4 epi's but i found i was able to summarize all that happened in under 2 minutes to her... and she didn't feel the need to watch the final 4 after that.

we finished moon phase yesterday and got through the first 2 discs of gantz.

a used book store here had a 20% off sale and was able to score a few more things on the cheap.
Blake_T

Re: In need of an anime nerd

Postby Blake_T » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:48 am

well, i'm at the point where i have seen or own (and am waiting to watch) about 90% of what has been recommended so far...

anyone else able to dig deeper into the more obscure, lesser known titles for some more recommendations?
Blake_T

Postby SkaBob » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:47 am

didn't go back and see if these were mentioned, so there could be stuff that's been said before:

Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Noche Guu
Battle Fairy Yukkikaze
Mahou Shotengai Abenobashi
Cluster Edge
Planet ES
Uninhabited Planet Survive
D. Grayman
Demonbane
Galaxy Railways
Panda Z
Sgt. Keroro
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Coldpunk » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:46 pm

I haven't seen anyone second Ah My Goddess. I enjoyed that one. Also, has anyone suggested Read or Die, I liked that one too.
Coldpunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby JimW » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:06 pm

Dredging up an old thread...

Disappointed to see no mention of Black Cat, easily my favorite anime. Starts off a bit slow with the first episodes but gets really really good and has some amazing episodes in the second half. Watched a few episodes in English and it was alright, much better in Japanese though. Adding one to the earlier list of anime that's better in English: Fruits Basket. Some of the voices are just so hilarious in English. Great anime overall too.

Escaflowne and DN Angel are a couple others that I really like, the Escaflowne movie is good as well. Read or Die is a really good movie too, haven't watched the series at all.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby JimW » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:35 pm

Other very good stuff that I don't think was mentioned

Ouran High School Host Club
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Full Metal Panic
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Dig It » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:01 pm

My wife has told me to suggest Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Blake_T » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:45 pm

JimW:

i have seen most of those. i enjoyed black cat... thought it was solid. it never grabbed me the way some other series do, but it never put me off either.

fruits basket and full metal panic were probably my favorites off that list. haruhi was solid but incomplete (and a bit over-rated imo).

DN Angel is on my shelf of to watch stuff. havn't seen ouran high school host club either. i've heard good things from people who don't share the same tastes as me. was planning on waiting for it to get really cheap before i picked it up.

Dig It:

thanks. i've been planning on picking that up as soon as it has a thinpak box set. i saw that adult swim is going to finish its broadcast run even though it was the lowest rated show of the season for them.
Blake_T

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.