BBQ

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: BBQ

Postby roadkill » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:19 am

I know this thread is primarily about cooking BBQ. However if you want excellent BBQ and don't want to cook Tennessee's BBQ is my favorite.
The one I go to is in Langhorne, PA but I know there's one in Boston and Braintree, MA. I did a google search and didn't see any others but even the Langhorne location didn't appear in the search or at least not in the first page or so.
I've had their Memphis style ribs, Caribbean Chicken, Beef Brisket, sweet potato, collard greens, green beans and corn bread and so far everything has been incredible.
Not only is the food tasty and good portion size for your money but the decor and atmosphere is pretty cool. My favorite so far is the Caribbean chicken (half bird size) as it was incredibly meaty, juicy and just enough spices to give some nice zip without dominating over the chicken's natural flavor. If any of you play Tyler State Park in Newton, Pa. Tennessee's in Langhorne is only a 15 minute drive from the course.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby JR » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:07 pm

Dunno if this is the correct thread but as it is currently inactive I feel this ain't too much of a thread jack. I recently bought Blair's Salsa de la muerte sauce which tastes great and wondered how that'd fare in a BBQ setting. Winter in Finland ain't a season or the time to think of such a thing if I had a grill that is :-)

I got Blair's and Zakk Wylde's Shot To Hell today and was wondering if anyone knew how many Scoville hotness units it has. Googling didn't work. Some sites state that 3 AM is 1.5-2 million SHUs and this one's less than that but other than that I dunno. Does anyone have an idea how hot this one is?

I also ate a small package of Blair's Death Rain laced Parmesan chips and 7 chips of Habanero Death Rain chips. That was definitely something that makes one feel alive as Blair puts it. Salsa de la muerte at 45000 SHUs is a table sauce usable for anything without cooking and edible by itself to me. I definitely won't try shot To Hell nekkid without diluting and neither should anyone else. People are dancing with cancer trying out the hottest sauces out there. I mean there are plenty of way hotter sauces than the pepper sprays that police use in the US. Those are routinely 5 million SHUs but there are milder versions at 2 million being produced. Considering the next step up from Shot To Hell is at the best equal to mildest pepper sparys... Wakey wakey rise and shine. The songs Locomotive Breath and Ring Of Fire come to mind...

So to return to topic does anyone have experience or stories worthy of telling of Shot To Hell or other excessively hot sauces used in conjunction with BBQ or other cooking?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby stoneman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:27 pm

Grill THIS, bitches. http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

I plan to, very soon! :D
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby pointdisc » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:31 am

Wonder what poor old Matt would think of that amazing concotion of delicous bacon.

Caution: The bacon explosion is not reccomended for those who are naturally atheltic and work out.

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby JR » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:26 pm

I got a blocked artery just by watching the pictures and then my head exploded as I read the text because the meat moved through my veins to my brain to block the blood flow and the pressure theee preeessureeeeee.... kaboom! Yikes heart attack time. Especially if one used something as devilish as Shot To Hell :-D Coating a roll with that... Hrr. One lick at the outer side and your tongue is teleported to old Nick's rectum.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby bcsst26 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:09 am

RustyP wrote:Since this was my first one, I bought a cheap one from Home Depot...the Brinkman Smoke-n-Grill

I wanted to get some practice on a cheap one before I drop a good chunk of change on a nice smoker...and I live in an apartment and have pretty limited balcony space too :D My only concern about it so far is that it only has 3 legs...not the most sturdy looking thing. I've only used it for 2 hours at a time so far, but on Sunday I'm smoking a small brisket so I'll get to see how well it performs over the course of 8-10 hours.

RustyP just wandering how that smoker is treating you these days? I have an itch to invest in one but not sure what route to go. I want to start off cheap to make sure that it is a thing for me but not sure what model to look at. Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to get one before football season starts up to prepare some tailgate foods. Thanks.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby dgdave » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:14 am

I've had that same smoker for a few months and its workin just fine for me. I'll be doin a brisket in the next couple days.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby bcsst26 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:48 am

Cool. A brisket is something that I look forward to try. How big of a one are you doing, how long are you planning on smoking it, and at what temp? Just trying to get an idea. After getting some opinions on smokers hopefully I can get one here in the next month or so.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby RustyP » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:18 pm

I actually got a nicer barrel-style smoker with an offset fire box for my birthday (thanks mom and dad), so I've been using that one a lot lately. Here's the one I'm using right now...Brinkman smoker

Aside from being much larger and thus able to hold more food, the best thing about my new smoker versus the older one is that it holds heat MUCH better. With the Smoke-n-Grill (old one) I had to add 5-10 coals pretty much every hour just to keep it at a constant 250-degrees...and if I ever lifted the lid, almost all the heat dissipated immediately. The new smoker is made of cast iron, which holds onto heat very well, so I can throw in a few handful of coals and a couple of hickory logs at the beginning, and it'll hang around 325-350 for a few hours before I have to even worry about adding more wood/coals.

I still haven't gotten around to making a brisket with this one yet...last time I tried on my older smoker, it came out leathery tough and very dry, so I decided to do some more homework before I shell out another $25 for a giant hunk of meat. Ribs, chicken and pork butt, however, are another story...I'm not going to say I've perfected them, but they're damned tasty! :twisted: It helps that I've been tinkering around with dry rub recipes for the past several months, and finally made one that's delicious and works well with pretty much any kind of meat.

Once I feel that I've conquered the beef brisket, my plan is to take my little operation around to a few local flea markets and swap meets to see how the public at large reacts to it...and if the reaction is positive, there may be a "Pappas Family BBQ Restaurant" in the near future :o

A word of advice for the Smoke-n-Grill...mine had a pretty large gap around the lid, which let out a considerable amount of heat, thus lenghtening the cooking time of whatever was inside. To combat this, I rolled up pieces of aluminum foil into "snakes" (like we did with play-doh as kids) and shoved them into the gap all the way around the lid. As long as you're not opening the lid too often (which is a BBQ no-no to begin with), it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:46 pm

For brisket:

Cook in the oven in a Reynolds oven bag for 14 hours at 225.

Then transfer to the smoker for 2-4 hours in a throw away aluminum pan with heavy smoke. I use pecan wood.

It will cut like a block of butter. Don't tell anyone that you started it in the oven.

PS: Much easier.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby dgdave » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:44 am

Since its raining a bit here this morning, I'm going to try your method Brad. I'm also trying a new rub. Can't wait for dinner! And sandwiches for the next 3 days!
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:44 pm

Anyone makin their own sause?
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:41 pm

Shit, B. This was my best brisket to date I think. I was very happy with it. It was in the oven for about 6 hours and then smoked for about 3. 15 pounds of heaven. Mmmmm.......
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby JR » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:50 am

For dry rub of extreme heat(relatively) Blair's Death Rain Nitro tastes amazing for being so hot. Apply using gloves or make sure you don't touch the stuff yourself and don't eat it as such. One really really does want to use it sparingly if one isn't an extreme chili freak. It's 550 000 in Scoville hotness units meaning it's chemically 110 times hotter than the hottest jalapenos. It's way hotter than red savina chilis that were the hottest chilis around two world records ago.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby iowapat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:20 am

RustyP wrote:A word of advice for the Smoke-n-Grill...mine had a pretty large gap around the lid, which let out a considerable amount of heat, thus lenghtening the cooking time of whatever was inside. To combat this, I rolled up pieces of aluminum foil into "snakes" (like we did with play-doh as kids) and shoved them into the gap all the way around the lid. As long as you're not opening the lid too often (which is a BBQ no-no to begin with), it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Brinkman's have that gap because they do not have vents

I haven't had any problems keeping mine in the 215-250 range for long smoke sessions...
iowapat
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.