BBQ

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: BBQ

Postby dgdave » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 am

Yeah, my smoker had just dropped from "Ideal" to "Warm" about an hour ago. I got it going at about 1 o'clock yesterday. It held the heat pretty good.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:41 am

dgdave wrote:Shit, B. This was my best brisket to date I think. I was very happy with it. It was in the oven for about 6 hours and then smoked for about 3. 15 pounds of heaven. Mmmmm.......

Would I shit my favorite turd, yo??? :D
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:35 am

Try this one... not BBQ but meat.

Take a full pork tenderloin.
Place in Reynolds cooking bag.
Add as many chopped onions as you would...like 2-3 medium or large (or more if you really like cooked onions). I buy mine pre chopped in the refrigerated fruit/vegetable section.
Add 1/2 cup of crushed garlic. I use the kind from a jar that I buy from the fruits/vegetable section.
Now add a cup to 12 oz of Pace Medium chunky picante sauce.

Close bag and shake it all up.

Place in oven at 225 degrees for about 6 hours. Leave on "warm" until you eat it. The pork should reach 170 degrees.

OMG.

You are welcome.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby dgdave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:04 am

Its that time again! I got an electric smoker last week and freaking love it. You do lose the charcoaly flavor, but the smoke really comes through.

So far I've done

Whole chickens
chicken thighs
Ribs
meatloaf
Brisket
Pork shoulder cut in strips

The whole chickens were fan-fucking-tastic. I had a brisket and rack of ribs get ruined because the smoker peetered out 4 hours into a 12 hr smoke while I was at work. I haven't got a rub I really like yet.

Here are some specimens
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:07 am

-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:58 am

Im also not getting a really nice bark. Is that because I'm using an electric smoker instead of charcoal? Would more sugar in the rub help giving more bark?
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby veganray » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:01 pm

dgdave wrote:Im also not getting a really nice bark. Is that because I'm using an electric smoker instead of charcoal?

Yes. Wood is what you need. Brown sugar in the rub will give a closer approximation to bark, but - IMHO - really good bark is impossible w/o a proper hardwood fire.

Additional salt in the rub (and a longer time of letting it sit before putting it on the fire) will also improve bark by drawing proteins from the interior of the meat up to the surface.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Monocacy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:21 pm

Dave thanks for the meaty reminder that we need to fire up the Weber Smoky Mountain. On a somewhat related note, if anyone is looking for a homemade BBQ sauce I highly recommend Western NC BBQ sauce replica (clicky), which is delicious.

Pulled pork, slathered with mustard sauce before applying the dry rub.

Pork back ribs, served with cowboy beans, braised cabbage, and smoked sweet potatoes.

Mushrooms are also fun on the smoker. Cut them into large chunks, smoke ‘em, dry-fry in a hot wok or skillet until the mushrooms squeak, and then quickly stir-fry with soy sauce and Chinese black vinegar (or whatever flavors you like).
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby bcsst26 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Dave,

Are you using a water pan? Are you foiling any of your meat during the process. Just make sure to have a good rub with some brown sugar in it and you should get a bark. Also make sure to have a good thermometer or make sure you calibrate your smokes thermometers. That is one thing that will ruin your meat any time. I have a maverick ET-73 wireless for my propane thermometer and it is great. The just came out with a maverick ET-732 which has better range and some other options. I hook that thing up to my smoker and it is almost set it and forget it until the alarm goes off.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby dgdave » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Yes to the water pan, no to the foil.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Mixed Bag Madness » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:55 pm

dgdave wrote:Image

Those chickens look freakin sweet Dave. Great idea to do smoked sweet potatoes Monocacy. It's nearly impossible to grill or smoke meats here in Oregon because everyone I know is super picky, vegan, etc. I kinda miss the south and the midwest for that reason. Let's drop the smugness, crack a beer, and grill/smoke some freakin meat. Arrrrrrrr... :twisted:
Last edited by Mixed Bag Madness on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PA1s-Rocs-FLX Drones-Teebirds-D3s-Destroyers-D1s
Mixed Bag Madness
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pumpkin Rocs

Postby veganray » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:24 am

Mixed Bag Madness wrote:It's nearly impossible to grill or smoke here in Oregon because everyone I know is super picky, vegan, etc.

If people don't desire to eat your food, maybe it is wise to direct your scrutiny inward instead of blaming your guests. Be a good host: if you have a guest who eschews pork, smoke a slab of bluefish; if you have a vegan guest, smoke some leeks & potatoes; if you have a guest who only eats cat shit, grill the best damned cat shit kabobs he's ever had.

In my vast experience, if you produce good tasting food & have a proper amount of respect for your guests, people will enjoy your get-togethers, nom the hell out of your food, & come back for more.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Eric O » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Mixed Bag Madness wrote:It's nearly impossible to grill or smoke here in Oregon because everyone I know is super picky, vegan, etc. I kinda miss the south and the midwest for that reason. Let's drop the smugness, crack a beer, and grill/smoke some freakin meat. Arrrrrrrr... :twisted:
Most people I know eat grilled and smoked food. The problem is hardly anyone around Oregon knows shit about real BBQ. I do know some pretty finicky eaters though, and guess what. Most of them moved up here from SoCal.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mixed Bag Madness » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:22 pm

I guess I should have specifically said meat. I don't scrutinize my guests either. No need to lecture there VR. You need to lighten up. People do desire my food-greatly in fact. I make side money by catering parties around town here. I also cook for many people with special dietary needs. It's what I've done for most of my working career. I was just making light of my local situation. We all give each other s&%t about things like that round here. It's easy to talk s&^t when you don't know what you're talking about though. Have a sense of humor... :roll:
Mixed Bag Madness
Tree Magnet

Postby Mixed Bag Madness » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:26 am

Bump for the grumpy old man.... :lol:
Mixed Bag Madness
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.