Wrist Roll???

A spot where people can post questions on the Instructional Articles from the site.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Blake_T » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:13 am

sounds like you might be bringing the disc around your body and not getting enough weight forward.

think about bringing the disc UNDER your chest rather than AROUND your chest (yes, that means you will need to be leaning slightly forward).

the pinkey hangup problem is generally caused by being too upright and is often a good sign as it only really happens when the disc is very close to your body (a good thing). being too upright leads to late extension and a tendency to pull/throw anhyzer.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby sleepy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:44 am

Thanks Blake! Looks like it's time for more field work. :)

I'm actually starting to think that wrist roll may not have been as much of a factor as I initially thought...that, or I'm beginning to fix it. I did some field work last night and while some of my drives did turn over immediately, I felt more of a leaning back/anhyzer release/weight over my back foot (RHBH) than a pronounced wrist roll. I concentrated more on leaning forward and changed my run up a bit, and I think I broke the 300' barrier twice with my 173g DX Orc. It was the greatest feeling...fluid, almost effortless, and a nice little 'POP' when it left my hand! :D

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Pagan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:55 pm

Blake_T wrote:sounds like you might be bringing the disc around your body and not getting enough weight forward.

think about bringing the disc UNDER your chest rather than AROUND your chest (yes, that means you will need to be leaning slightly forward).

the pinkey hangup problem is generally caused by being too upright and is often a good sign as it only really happens when the disc is very close to your body (a good thing). being too upright leads to late extension and a tendency to pull/throw anhyzer.

Just a little forward so my weight is on the balls of my feet right? Tonight at work I had to turn around kinda funny and something just clicked in my head and I recalled this message. When I do the X step and am facing backward, my right leg should move out and forward bringing my hips around and opening them, making my torso turn, then my head. The last thing should be my arm moving forward across and slightly under my chest straight out to the target faster and faster till my wrist flexes outward snapping the disc out of my grip and catapulting it forward. RIGHT? In effect my whole boddy becomes a whip uncoiling.

Someone tell if I'm right as I wanna try this tommorrow...
Pagan
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 am

Blake_T wrote:sounds like you might be bringing the disc around your body and not getting enough weight forward.

So is that why when I throw hyzer I am able to add much more snap and distance - I am leaning forward (maybe 35-40 degrees) and pulling the disc directly under my chest in a straight line. I also try and lean into the throw with my weight ahead of the disc. When I throw flat, I try to stand up straight (always keeping the disc angle at 90 degrees to my chest) and I don't get as much snap. Should I be leaning over all the time and affecting the angle of the disc another way???

Did that make any sense???
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Blake_T » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:22 am

Pagan:
it should be quite a bit forward, so when you are faced up to the target the center of your chest should be over or in front of your knee... keep in mind the head is more important than being the last thing to come through the shot. locking your head down into the shot like you are staring down the target line like a sight on a gun will help your aim.

discmonkey:
you are correct on the mechanics interpretation. for a flat throw, you will keep your upper arm higher and have a slightly less pronounced difference in height between your shoulders during the reach back.
Blake_T

Postby Pagan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:12 am

Blake_T wrote:Pagan:
it should be quite a bit forward, so when you are faced up to the target the center of your chest should be over or in front of your knee... keep in mind the head is more important than being the last thing to come through the shot. locking your head down into the shot like you are staring down the target line like a sight on a gun will help your aim.

Thanks for the help guys! I went out with a friend to play this morning and tried to alter my technique incorporating this information. It was partially successful. I reached back with my arm UNDER my left arm and turned my torso BEFORE bringing my throwing arm forward. I was not able to use a runup or step up successfully yet, but I think that after I get this newer method set in and get more comfortable with it I will be able to add run up again. I mention all this for several reasons; because I used to max out distance about 275 feet with some accuracy (though sometimes more towards the right than anticipated). Today with no run up I was able to pivot and throw nearly that distance and a LOT more reliable. In fact on hole three I flight path was in a word beautiful between the trees, low, and fast! You could clearly hear the snap. Disc stayed flat the nearly the whole way till it got about two feet off ground and then slightly faded left. I just stood there dumbfounded. A textbook line drive 200+' and only using about 75% power. Another reason is for anyone in future who may have my particular problem with drives. I am hoping this helps them.

Now I just have to get this method ingrained so I can add a run up, and learn to keep the nose down a little more. I really think that this new way will allow me to break the 300 mark especially if I can keep the nose down more. I periodically get sloppy and the disc goes HIGH although it does stil cover 250 before it stalls out and fades HARD.

I appreciate it Blake and everyone! You all are greatly improving my game!
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:05 am

if you rotate away with your upper body, your left arm should not come into play...
Blake_T

Re: Wrist Roll???

Postby Mr. Wessels » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:03 pm

think about bringing the disc UNDER your chest rather than AROUND your chest (yes, that means you will need to be leaning slightly forward) [...] being too upright leads to late extension and a tendency to pull/throw anhyzer.
sounds like you might be bringing the disc around your body and not getting enough weight forward.

If you're trying to throw anhyzer, do you still bring the disc "under" your chest and get your weight over the disc (i.e., do you still want to avoid being too "upright")? This concept really works for me when I try to throw hyzer, but I cannot replicate it when throwing anhyzer.
Mr. Wessels
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Re: Wrist Roll???

Postby CJ1998 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:50 am

Mr. Wessels wrote:

think about bringing the disc UNDER your chest rather than AROUND your chest (yes, that means you will need to be leaning slightly forward) [...] being too upright leads to late extension and a tendency to pull/throw anhyzer.

If you're trying to throw anhyzer, do you still bring the disc "under" your chest and get your weight over the disc (i.e., do you still want to avoid being too "upright")? This concept really works for me when I try to throw hyzer, but I cannot replicate it when throwing anhyzer.

That's a good question. I have no knowledge outside of my own experience and what has already been discussed re: anhyzer but I'll try my best.

On Ken Climo's website and on the Climo/Felberg DVD they discuss throwing anhyzer. They say to "arch your upper back" or something to that effect. In the shot telegraphing article on this website, the concept expressed is high to low in terms of the plane of your throw. From those two ideas, it's difficult to see how to get your weight over the disc but I think the weight transfer is still vital to these shots. It just happens differently. You may not get your weight over the disc per se, but you can still direct your throw with your weight.

When I throw anhyzer I tend to griplock. This happens mainly because I fall off to the right in an attempt to force the disc to turn right. Really, I should be thinking about directing the shot in the direction I want it to start. I.E. You really want to try to start anhyzers wide to the left (RHBH). How far left depends on you and the discs you're throwing.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Previous

Return to Questions About Articles on Disc Golf Review