Spinach D bag defense

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Spinach D bag defense

Postby Spinach D » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:19 am

1. Stable Control Drivers
SOLF
Star Eagle-x
DX Eagle-x

2. Distance Drivers
SOLF
MOLF
DX Valkyries

3. Understable Driver
DX Valkyries

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
beat Star Max
new SOLF

5. Very Overstable Driver
Star Max

Mids:
DX Roc

Putters:
Med Eraser Wizards
Last edited by Spinach D on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spinach D
Fairway Surgeon

Postby pointdisc » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:44 am

Eagle-X and Maxx as mids?

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby garublador » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:09 am

pointdisc wrote:Eagle-X and Maxx as mids?

pd
Neither is the Wizard. The OLF is too fast for a stable control driver, too.

Um...yeah. Use a midrange disc for the midrange spot. I recommend the Roc.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby tim » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:59 pm

Don't hate on overstable drivers as mids. For a lot of people, they are incredibly predictable as upshot/midrange discs. I find that I am a lot more accurate throwing a spike hyzer -- either flick or backhand -- than I am throwing a normal midrange up the middle. I use a Firebird for most midrange distance shots. If I need straight, I throw a Wizard.

I do keep a buzz and a Super Roc in the bag, but they are more specialty discs than midrange discs -- the Super Roc is for low, straight shots that need some fade at the end and have to be longer than a wizard; the Buzz is for anhyzers and uphill elevation backhands that need a lot of glide.

So yeah, I can support the overstable driver as a midrange, at least in terms of how it is used in your game.

I know there are people who say that "midrange" is defined by the mold -- and that's true if you are using "midrange" as a noun -- in which case then NO, technically speaking a Star Max is not a midrange. However, if you are using midrange as an adjective to describe "midrange throws," or "midrange distance," then the Eagle-X and Max totally work, since they are the discs being used for that particular throw/distance.

It's all down to semantics. It's always semantics.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Spinach D » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:12 pm

I look at mid-range as a distance not a type of disc. In calm conditions, I throw the Star Max in the same distance range as a Roc. Different flight lines of course.

That said, somehow forgot about my black 175 dx roc. It gets a lot of use for straight and anny shots and assorted throws at the basket. I used to carry a Z Wasp as well but I'm more acurate with an dx Eagle-x at reduced power.

Depending on the line, the difference between the SOLF and Star Eagle (for me) is about 40 ft. I don't suffer much in the way of reduced control with the SOLF, so I would say they are both stable control drivers for driving different distances. I can't say they same for Destroyers and Wraiths.
Spinach D
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Spinach D » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:21 pm

tim wrote:Don't hate on overstable drivers as mids. For a lot of people, they are incredibly predictable as upshot/midrange discs. I find that I am a lot more accurate throwing a spike hyzer -- either flick or backhand -- than I am throwing a normal midrange up the middle. I use a Firebird for most midrange distance shots. If I need straight, I throw a Wizard.

I do keep a buzz and a Super Roc in the bag, but they are more specialty discs than midrange discs -- the Super Roc is for low, straight shots that need some fade at the end and have to be longer than a wizard; the Buzz is for anhyzers and uphill elevation backhands that need a lot of glide.

So yeah, I can support the overstable driver as a midrange, at least in terms of how it is used in your game.

I know there are people who say that "midrange" is defined by the mold -- and that's true if you are using "midrange" as a noun -- in which case then NO, technically speaking a Star Max is not a midrange. However, if you are using midrange as an adjective to describe "midrange throws," or "midrange distance," then the Eagle-X and Max totally work, since they are the discs being used for that particular throw/distance.

I wrote my last post before I saw this. That is my opinion exactly. I do keep a single dx Roc in the bag, but for many applications it is not my best choice for a lower score. It's mostly a finesse disc.
Spinach D
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jamsisjams » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:27 pm

If the Max works for your overstable needs, great.

How do your OLFs compare to your Teerex? It seems like a new, heavyweight OLF would work just as well as a Rex for most shots.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:13 pm

This whole section of the forum assumes you have read and understand the Disc Selection Overlap article on this site:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... rlap.shtml

If you don't agree with it then you will not get the advice you want by posting here.

If everone wants to make up their own definitions of words that's fine with me, but there's no sense in trying to get useful information that way. If you don't believe/agree with/like the semantics of the disc overlap article this isn't the right place to get advice.

This is the Bag Critique/Discussion section of the forums. The whole point is to discuss the discs, which are nouns, that are in your bag. It makes sense to only use the word midrange as a noun. If in the technique section you want to discuss using a stable control driver for shorter throws that would be considered midrange distances then that's awesome. It's a perfectly acceptable topic and a use for that type of disc that's encouraged. However, that doesn't make a stable control driver a midrange. Rim configuration makes a disc a midrange.

tim wrote:So yeah, I can support the overstable driver as a midrange, at least in terms of how it is used in your game.
It's not a midrange, though. There's already a category for "Very Overstable Driver" and you just described one of the reasons it exists. In fact using it that way is very heavily encouraged.

That's one of the excellent reasons why the mods and admins went ot the trouble of having separate sections for discussions about technique and equipment. It's so we can all agree on the semantics used for each section and there is less ambiguity. If we randomly decide to start adding ambiguity back in we're defeating the purpose and making communication more difficult. By adding this "Bag Critique" section to the forums we moved in the right direction by making communication easier. Let's not start moving backwards.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Spinach D » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:39 pm

OK. Then I only have single dx roc. But for mid range shots I usually throw something else.

To jamsjams:
The teerex is the least used disc in my bag. Still it is my best forehand driver.

Backhand it turns less and fades more than a SOLF but is longer than the Max. If I need to fade around a corner that is too far away for the Max or spike a hyzer very high I go for the teerex.
Spinach D
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Spinach D » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:52 pm

jamsisjams wrote:If the Max works for your overstable needs, great.

How do your OLFs compare to your Teerex? It seems like a new, heavyweight OLF would work just as well as a Rex for most shots.

I have played the Z Predator and Star/Champ Firebird extensively. I strongly prefer the Star Max both for headwinds and for overstable shots.

I decided to sack the TeeRex. I don't throw it enough or practice with it enough to have perpetual expertise with it. Besides, I have a couple of Star Max getting pretty beat up now, and they are dreamy.
Spinach D
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion