Jimmy Porter---Update: My review of the new layout

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Jimmy Porter---Update: My review of the new layout

Postby Donkeypuncher » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:11 pm

Anybody know what they are doing to this course? A few months ago it started with a few trucks blocking a few holes, now it's a full blown construction site. It looks like the filled in the rear of the creek, and dug a new section of creek that cut's across a few of the holes. There is a huge dirt mountain so it's hard to see what is really going on.

They left us holes 1-6 along with 17 and 18, but removed the baskets for 7-16 where all the construction is taking place. Now there is a sign on the board that said somebody stole the hole #1 basket, so now it's down to a 7 hole course.
Last edited by Donkeypuncher on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
200, and 40 dollars......a worth a puddin'
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby geoloseth » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:50 am

They are doing some work on the creek. From what I've been told it should resemble the creek at greenbelt. I didn't know someone stole a basket though.

If you want to play a good course in that area, go over to greenbelt and play the real beltbuster course. Start from hole 1 teepad and shoot to 18s basket then go from basket to basket - no making little 200' upshot holes either.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Donkeypuncher » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:47 pm

I'm not a big fan of green belt, it's bland and not really challenging. For the past few months I've been playing the lake course since it's the best local course. It just sucks because I live a few blocks from porter and it's fun to get a quick round in on the way home.

I guess this is just more reason to get out and try some of the new courses if dfw. I heard the mesquite course is pretty nice.

I looked at the course today and it looks like they're close to being finished. That is unless they have more work to do. I saw some survey markers on the 1-6 holes and practice basket so this might go on for a good while.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby geoloseth » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:54 am

As its designed now greenbelt isnt that interesting, but backward it can rival any championship course (not kidding). I've been playing the lake pretty often as well, just because there is plenty of shade out there when its 100 outside. And there are plenty of small cash games to win. I picked up enough on Tuesday to get a new disc and a folding stool. Do you play the Saturday mini?
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Donkeypuncher » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:53 pm

I had a friend that said something like that about green belt, but I never went back and tried it.

I agree the shade at the lake course is great when it's hot, although it gets really packed on saturdays and sundays. The course is a bit harder now that the leaves and foliage have grown in, but I manage to do pretty well. I didn't know they were doing the saturday mini up there though, what time does this take place on saturdays?
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby geoloseth » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:08 pm

Mini starts at 2. Depending on how you shoot at the course, tom will put you in the right division. All ams get plastic and open gets cash. $5 buy in. And usually $5 doubles after the mini - cash payout.

If you shoot par +/- a few strokes then youll probably play advanced with most everyone. 51 is always in effect and the ace pot should be starting over at about $20 since kasey hit it for ~$200 a couple weeks ago.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Donkeypuncher » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:35 pm

Sounds good, I'll have to check it out this saturday. Not sure what division I'd play, I usually finish +2-4 with decent weather. Although sometimes I have days where I manage to hit a tree on every hole.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Jimmy Porter in carrollton,TX---What happened?

Postby chopz33 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:18 am

either one of you played at Harry Myers in Rockwall?

Very nice course and i agree that i'm not a big fan of Greenbelt. if you are a newer player like me, its to confusing when the locals make up their own course and then you are lost.
chopz33
Noob

Postby RustyP » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:21 am

I drove by Porter a few times yesterday, and it looks very different than it used to. I didn't stop and look around much, but from the street you could see that a bunch of new trees had been planted, and it looks like the new bridge after what used to be hole 5 is complete...looking forward to see what the new course layout looks like once the construction is done!
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Donkeypuncher » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:56 am

I live 1 mile from the course so I've been keeping up with the progress so far. The creek in the very back that runs along #6-8 #12-14 has been completely redone . It was filled in and they created a creek with rocks similar to the creek running along #2-5. This means no more 10' deep water holes to lose a disc. The pond on #10 has been filled in from what I can tell, not sure if it will be filled again or not. They have built a sidewalk through nearly the entire course, which is great since it's on a flood plain and stays muddy almost year round. The sidewalk on 2-5 is being worked on right now, not sure how much is left o build though. They built a bridge over the creek connecting 6 and 7, and I believe a bridge will be built connecting 1 and 2.

The baskets have all been removed, the rear 12 were removed for construction, then the front 6 were removed because someone stole the #1 basket. Construction was supposed to be finished the end of 08, but I was told it will be another 3-4 months possibly more.

I don't know if any layout changes will be made, but the addition of new trees in the fairway of a few holes should make the course more interesting. I guess I'll give an update when they finish
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Donkeypuncher » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Okay I did some research and finally found a thread on the pdga forum where the local pro explains what is happening at porter: http://discussion.pdga.com/msgboard/sho ... age=0&vc=1

Basically the city had a renovation project planned for the land running from josey to kelley since 04 and it finally started in 08. The local pro and friends removed the back 9 baskets first, then removed the front 9 a few months later after basket #1 was stolen. All the baskets were added to the greenbelt course for a while, not sure if they are still there. Construction should be done in march, but it gets tricky after that. The city changed so much of the landscape the course layout has to be changed, which the local pro has already started planning.

There is talk of making it a 27 hole course or a really long 18 hole, it depends on how much land the city will let us use. There is a lot of extra space for new layouts so it should be interesting. He said the course should be installed and open this summer so it's not far away. We will have to raise money for tee-boxes and signs though, the city puckers up real tight when asked about money for the disc golf course.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Jimmy Porter in carrollton,TX---What happened? UPDATED

Postby Donkeypuncher » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:55 am

The course has been adjusted and the baskets should be going in the ground very soon. The Porter baskets were removed from Greenbelt earlier this week, and should be installed in the next week or so. The city OK'd adding another 9 or 18 holes in back, but probably not until 2010 or so. The work they did looks very good, no more losing discs in random 15' deep sections of the creek, it's all been redone like the creek section on holes 1-3.

The course is mostly the same, but some basket and tee locations have been tweaked to add some difficulty. The pond is still there and looks to be untouched, so there is still a place to lose discs. Materials for tee pads has been donated, although they didn't say exactly what those materials were, hopefully concrete.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sth1oo6 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:41 pm

I heard Porter was in the ground and playable. No tee signs though.
I run a non-profit home for beaten and abused rocs.
sth1oo6
Noob

Favorite Disc: beat Roc

Postby Donkeypuncher » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:56 am

I drive by everyday since I live a 1/2 mile from the course, and as of friday no baskets have been put back in the ground. They may have done it this weekend, but the city workers usually don't work on the weekends. Maybe some of the locals did it themselves this weekend, I'll have to check in the morning.

I'm so excited for porter to finally be finished, I used to play there everyday and I'm having withdrawals (yeah that's how it's spelled). Unless I'm playing with a group of locals, I just don't have the motivation to drive out to the higher quality courses on a regular basis, especially with this damn texas heat lately.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Donkeypuncher » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:05 pm

I drove by today and sure enough the baskets are in the ground. I'll have to play tomorrow and see how the new layout plays. I don't think I'll need tee signs, we'll see.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Courses