Intermediate recreational bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Intermediate recreational bag

Postby Jsw » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:17 pm

Been playing for about 6 months now, not the biggest arm in the world but I get em' out there. Trying to keep it simple. 90% of my shots are thrown with either a Teebird, Roc, or Aviar.

:DRIVERS:

- 171g(2x) DX bottom stamped Teebirds (Just barely beat in, go STRAIGHT drivers)
- 168g Champ. Orc (beat to high hell, turnover driver, or hyzer flip for good D)
- 175g 5x VK Champ Valkyrie (overstable driver, turns left for me)

:MIDS:

-175g DX Roc (fresh, pretty stable)
-168g DX roc (beat in like money, turnover and 'get out of trouble' disc)
-150g DX shark(Got it for my girlfriend to play with, but I actually use it when theres no wind, it flies DEAD STRAIGHT if I release it with a bit of hyzer 8)

:PUTTERS:

- 171g Star Aviar (Driving on short holes, longer approach shots, heavily wooded baskets)
- 173g SS wizard (putting duties, I like the grip of the S plastic)

I plan on adding a KC roc or two, As well as a Wizard to replace the * Aviar, So i can have a Wizard/Warlock combo. Any suggestions?
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Grayson » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:51 am

I'm guessing you meant that you're gonna add a warlock and drop the star avair. That sounds ok, but you might not need two putter molds in your bag. Some ppl like the Warlock/Wizard combo, I find it a little unnessecary. I've always carried two putters of the same mold in my bag, one for driving and upshots, the other strictly for putting and jump putts.

You should look into getting an overstable driver for those wind days or for when you need a driver. If you find that a Predator or a Firebird is too much for you, look into an Avenger or FL. These discs will act like what a Firebird or Pred act like for someone with a cannon arm. I like Tsunami as well. A little easier to throw than the Pred.

You're bag looks pretty good for right now. I would say stick with what you've got in your bag for a little while longer, master those discs for a few more months then add a new disc one at a time, maybe stepping up to a New Champ Orc or a Star Wraith once you've maxed out your other discs.
Grayson
2008 DGR Donator

Postby Jsw » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:39 pm

Sounds good, So maybe just grab two Wizards, one for driving/upshots - and the other for pure putting? I'll definitely go that route.

I know I need a 'meat hook' or very overstable driver - I just haven't made the jump yet since I'm still trying to max out my Teebirds. But like you suggest once I max those out I'll probably pick up a lighter-weight star wraith(like 168g) or maybe a fresh Orc.

Thanks for the advice - it basically confirms what I have been planning with my bag.

A quick question though, I *REALLY* love fairway drivers. I've tried the Gazelle which just felt basically like a longer Roc, but i still loved it. As well as the DX teebirds. But I'm concerned about durability. Should I move up to Champ. Teebirds, or stick with DXs and just cycle them?
Jsw

Postby mark12b » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:10 pm

Jsw wrote:A quick question though, I *REALLY* love fairway drivers. I've tried the Gazelle which just felt basically like a longer Roc, but i still loved it. As well as the DX teebirds. But I'm concerned about durability. Should I move up to Champ. Teebirds, or stick with DXs and just cycle them?

stick with dx, gazelles and teebirds and eagles all get better with age. you'll love them even more! :D
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jsw » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:30 pm

Cool, Which is the most versatile out of the three? I'm trying to keep my number of molds down.
Jsw

Postby Grayson » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:35 pm

definatly the teebird. The gazelle will be a little shorter, the eagle a little more stable. Plus you got different molds of the Eagle, there's an L mold and an X mold, with the X mold being pretty stable and the L mold being less stable and a little glidier. Most ppl prefer the X mold, and Innova just announced that all Eagles from now on will be the X mold. (all star eagles are the X mold.) But overall the Teebird will be more versitale, and since you're already familiar with it, I'd stick with them. If you were going to look for them in a different plastic, I would definatly suggest the Champ Teebird, for it's durability and seeing so many ppl in our club bomb them.

I would suggest going ahead and getting an overstable driver right away and experimenting with it. Maybe even use it on every hole instead of your other drivers. This will do a few things for you.
1. It will teach you how to throw overstable plastic better
2. You could learn how to throw a spike hyzer, which is a lot easier to do with an overstable pig, and will increase your accuracy tremendously
3. It'll break in the disc quicker.
Grayson
2008 DGR Donator

Postby Jsw » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:55 pm

cool thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll grab an overstable driver and a champ TB
Jsw

Postby cmlasley » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:40 am

I have to respectfully disagree. The Eagle X will be more versatile. There are a ton of shots that are difficult to throw with a Teebird because of it's freakish high speed stability coupled with its minimal fade. The Teebird is a one-trick pony - it goes straight and does it dang well.

That said, I carry Teebirds but not Eagles (for now anyway).
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby K-Dog 19 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:09 am

valk for overstable shots?
Once upon a time a Monster ran into a mob of Avengers, they attacked him with their pet Leopard, the Buzzz was all around the city that even the Wizards had to use ear plugs. :D
K-Dog 19
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: First X Avenger ever

Postby Jsw » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:05 am

K-Dog 19 wrote:valk for overstable shots?

Bit of a weenie arm :oops: right now. When I get a good rip it definitely stays straight, but the majority of the time i just put 3/4th power into it and it will hook left for me. Its fresh and max weight so it tends to be my best hyzer disc. I realize my bag is missing a true overstable pig, I'll pick one up next time I get some plastic.

Right now my next order will look something like

KC Roc(that will put me at 3 rocs, all different stages of wear)
Firebird, Avenger, or wraith( something overstable since I seem to be lacking one)

Also considering a Star Eagle, since it seems like they have a place in the bag for versatility based on what you guys are saying. I still don't know what i'm going to do for a putter - maybe pick up a pro Rhyno. Or switch to Wizards. My star aviar just doesnt feet right in my hands

thanks again
Jsw

Postby cmlasley » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:16 am

Well, if a Champ Valk is overstable for you, I suggest a Banshee for your overstable slot. It is very similar to the Teebird, just much more overstable and predictable in the wind.

Edit: you would probably do well with a heavy DX Gazelle for your fairway driver / versatile slot as opposed to a Star Eagle.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Jsw » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:34 am

Avair/Warlock combo has been switched to a Wizard/Warlock combo.

I'll use the Wizard for approaches and short drives, and the Warlock for inside the circle.

Soon to be added:

175 DX gazelle
168ish Champ Firebird
175 DX roc
Jsw

Postby Timko » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:17 am

Just a suggestion, but take the Warlock out and just use the Wizard, or vice versa. The two perform similar enough that unless you're a top pro, there probably isn't a reason to carry both. In fact, I think most of the Gateway guys carry the Wizard alone.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Jsw » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:18 am

Furthur wrote:Just a suggestion, but take the Warlock out and just use the Wizard, or vice versa. The two perform similar enough that unless you're a top pro, there probably isn't a reason to carry both. In fact, I think most of the Gateway guys carry the Wizard alone.

I would totally do that but for 2 reasons...

1. The warlock is already pretty beat in, so its turns over very slow and smoothly. I need that shot because there is one hole on my home course that is ace-able with a big putter-drive if you can get it to turn over during the last quarter of the flight. This sick player showed me the line and shot(he uses a beat in DX aviar) and he parks it right by the basket every time. I guess i *could* use a beat in roc and take a little something off - but its more fun with the putter.

2. The warlock feels better in my hand and is a cleaner release since its beadless.

I probably just should have 2 warlocks, but I wanted to try out the wizard since everybody raves about them.
Jsw

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion