Putter Driving

Sets of drills targeted at developing a full skill sets of shots and mastery of flight characteristics. Players taking part are encouraged to post their experiences and feedback.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putter Driving

Postby JacksWeather » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:45 pm

Blake used to give me alot of advice few years ago, explained concepts to me more than gave me drills, but one thing I've always done is I've gone out to fields with putters and practiced my driving. It really helped me get distance on my putter drives, I have huge confidence on long putter upshots, and I really think it fostered some good throwing habits especially with grip. I don't play enough to be competitive on the tourney scene, but today I have great control with putters driving, and I can throw my putters farther than anyone I know, which in turn translates to being able to throw drivers than the vast majority of people I encounter. Just make sure you never limit your practice to putters, they're too nose angle neutral, and for me right now I flip a beat in teebird easier than I flip a wizard, so just cause you're throwing your wizards straight doesn't mean you've got no torque.
Today seems like a good day to toss a disc or two.
The one for hyzer-flipping, turning over right on que.
I try to throw just like that, but sometimes I really suck.
Some say I need to get the axing, chalk it up to bad luck.
JacksWeather
Noob

Postby black udder » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:15 am

I'd second the putter throwing. I've been getting some coaching and one of the requirements for practice has been to throw anhyzer putter shots from a standing position.

I can't begin to describe how much it's helped me with drives and approaches (both hyzer and anhyzer). I feel in greater control with my shots as well.

I still fall back to bad form when I try and throw a driver long distance, but every now and then I get it right and they go 350+ (which is far for me).
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby RustyP » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 pm

Putter driving practice has become part of my regular routine...I take a stack of Aviars out to the field at least once a week, and I usually warm up for casual rounds by throwing putters. It's helped my driving form a good bit, but I've noticed the most improvement in my long upshots from the 150-200' range. I used to throw Rocs from this distance, but I've found that putters seem to be more controllable (especially when landing...no skips), which results in higher confidence at those distances.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Re: Putter Driving

Postby DiscGolfDan » Tue May 26, 2009 12:58 pm

i use to really suck at up shots and puts but my brother a near pro disc golfer gave me pointers and a better disc The Gateway Wizard is in my opinion the best putt and approach disc of all time. He can toss a wizard further than i can throw my Viking.
masterbeato wrote:if you need to as a last resort, i really agree with the sniper idea, but paintball rifle, but instead fill the pellets with traces of syphilis, herpes, or pure magnesium citrate and have the worst case of diarrhea ever.
DiscGolfDan
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard Buzzz Viking

Postby Fritz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:34 am

Absolutely! I played almost an entire season (practice rounds that is) using just my putter. As the time went on, I noticed I was getting more distance and accuracy in my drives during tournaments.
I highly recommend the putter driver training.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby emiller3 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:32 pm

Putter rounds can be a great way to be an ambassador to those who are taking the sport seriously but are still learning. You can tell a guy to come check out DGR, and most of the time they'll just nod and smile, but when they see you throw your putter long off the tee, they tend to take notice and value your advice a little more. There's something intriguing about carving up a course with a putter...
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby mickas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:23 pm

when i transitioned from forehand to backhand i drove with only putters for like two weeks, then i moved on to midrange, then fairways...etc... but in the end i think this method helped develop my technique better than anything, and i'm glad i did this, i've still been driving with putters quite frequently to practice my approaches and for holes under 200ft
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Ironhide » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:37 am

After reading this, it does sound very interesting and kinda want to give it a try. But I was wondering would you use the same weight as if you were putting less that 30ft or would you want to get heavier/lighter?
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby domromer » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:40 am

Fritz wrote:Absolutely! I played almost an entire season (practice rounds that is) using just my putter. As the time went on, I noticed I was getting more distance and accuracy in my drives during tournaments.
I highly recommend the putter driver training.

Wow a whole season of putter rounds! I couldn't do it.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Timko » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:45 am

Ironhide wrote:After reading this, it does sound very interesting and kinda want to give it a try. But I was wondering would you use the same weight as if you were putting less that 30ft or would you want to get heavier/lighter?

I putt with a lighter putter (168g). I also use it for shorter (100ft) shots where I want to play more of a touch shot. That being said, I normally play 1 disc putter rounds with a max weight because I'm playing these types of practice rounds to get good with the putter off of the tee, and I can make a max weight putter work at short distances just fine.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Ironhide » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:35 pm

I have a 170 Aviar right now that I use for putting and tend to use it about 50ft and in. I feel for me that I have best control with my shark from 50-100ft. So maybe I'll have to buy a max weight putter and try playing a round with it.
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby DiscZombie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:53 am

Once a month me and my boys do a all putter round. Honestly my favorite round I play. Ive been able to get 350' - 400' lately since doing this. The challenger D seems to carry the most distance so far. and it works that arm too.
DiscZombie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: D challenger

Return to Disc Golf Review Training Assignments