Moldy

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Moldy

Postby TickMagnet » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:53 pm

172g beat 1.8 omega ap- inside 35 ft
165g dx aviar- long putts
175g star aviar driver- windy putter

171g beat dx cro- turnover mid range
176g star ontario roc- stable midrange
180g star aero- uphill/low ceiling/air bounces

171g champ t bird- stable backhand/hyzerflip forehand/thumbers/escape rollers
173g ce tl- turnover/hyzer flip backhand
170g star fl- backhand hyzers/stable forehand/headwind

169g beat champ x2 beast- distance hyzer flip->turnover backhand/back hand rollers
169g beat pro destroyer- distaqnce backhand hyzerflip distance/turnovers
171g star destroyer- distance backhand
172g star xcaliber- distance forehand/forehand rollers/headwind

I am tempted to get something like a rhyno or a gator for headwind approaches and shorter hyzers but i have so many molds already. Maybe a heavy star cro?
TickMagnet
Noob

Postby TickMagnet » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:00 pm

and yes i am an innova fanboy :lol:
TickMagnet
Noob

Postby djalizwan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:04 pm

With 13 molds already, the last thing people here would suggest would be a 14th. I'll grab some popcorn and listen to other's responses.
djalizwan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby tim » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:17 pm

I know the trend here is to give people flack for a lot of molds. But I really think that depends on where someone is in the development of their game. If you've been playing a while and have experience with a lot of different molds -- and know when to use them -- then a bunch of different molds can help. Just as long as you have your couple of go-to discs that are always in your bag and always predictable.

IMHO, a 15 disc bag should really be just a 5 disc bag with a bunch of extra discs for special circumstances. 90% of your shots will probably be with the same few discs -- but if you know WHEN to use those other 10 discs, you can help shave strokes off your game when you get into trouble.

So if you want to add a Rhyno for putting on crazy wind days, then go for it. Just leave it in the car and throw it in the bag if the wind is 20+ mph. That's what I do. If I'm heading to a tourney that will have uncertain conditions, I have a whole bunch of discs I am not likely to put in the bag, but will add-in if situations are right. I keep some fresh DX plastic around in case of crazy rain (nothing better in the rain); I keep some hyper-overstable discs around for crazy wind (including a CE Rhyno); I keep a couple extra Champ Teebirds for courses with lots of water, so I have a predictable disc on over-the-pond shots... if it's lots of tight woods and fast greens, bring some FLX or SSS plastic that won't bounce/roll; if it's lots of low trees, throw in your favorite spike hyzer discs... if it's lots of wide-open fairways and long-downhill shots, get a light, beat-in understable disc (any) that you would never use in the woods.... anyway, you get the picture.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby TickMagnet » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:51 pm

The omega ap and dx aviar are basically the same mold in different plastics and the destroyers are the same mold so technically only 11 molds and 10 if you count teebird and TL. I would say that's still more than most on here recommend but i feel like almost every disc in the bag is pulling at least double duty already. I mix it up alot with forehand and backhand so I see less potential for fewer molds as someone who throws pure backhand and as Tim was saying a few of the discs do most of the work under normal conditions.

With that being said how's the star cro in the wind? can i crank a rhyno for 200 250 forehand approaches?
TickMagnet
Noob

Postby tim » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:47 pm

TickMagnet wrote:With that being said how's the star cro in the wind? can i crank a rhyno for 200 250 forehand approaches?

200-250 is longer than a Rhyno is going to want to go forehand (comfortably at least -- you might could get it there, but anything past 200' is going to get less predictable because you are probably overpowering the disc. They are SLOOOOOW.) However, anything up to 200' its pretty nice ... as long as you have a clean release on your flick. I use the Rhyno a lot in the wind both forehand and backhand.

I haven't used the Cro much -- I've got it in DX and Star plastic, but it just doesn't behave predictably for me. It feels great in the hand, but it doesn't go where I want it to. So maybe it's just me. For an overstable midrange, I favor the SuperRocs -- you can get the X-Out Super Rocs for ~$10, and they are great discs and really work well in the wind. I don't throw other Rocs much (except the old-mold Classic Rocs), but the Super Rocs are a great balance of durability and stability and IMO seem to behave better in the wind than almost any other midrange.

But I know other people will have other experiences... For instance, a Gator or a Gator X, I haven't tried, but I can imagine they are wicked overstable midrange discs.

One other one you might want to try is a Gateway Demon/Scout -- the plastic is great and takes forever to beat in, and they fight through wind like it's not even there. The most stable mirange I've got is an old Gateway Demon that takes all I have to throw it 250' and it will cut any wind there is.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Re: Moldy

Postby tushamajig13 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:28 am

OK, Ill bite. I do see too many molds here so my suggestions follow:

Putters: Since these are essentially the same mold, they are find to stay.
172g beat 1.8 omega ap- inside 35 ft
165g dx aviar- long putts
175g star aviar driver- windy putter

Midranges: Honestly, varying stages of wear on a stable midrange is the way to go for midranges. I started with the 3 different molds set up and since I went to Rocs, I have never looked back. Get some Rocs in different weights and beat them up to cover all overstable, straight, and understable midrange duties. Or, if you prefer Millenium, try the Q-Sent/QMS combo...works great as well.
171g beat dx cro- turnover mid range
176g star ontario roc- stable midrange
180g star aero- uphill/low ceiling/air bounces

Stable Control Driver: This looks pretty good too.
171g champ t bird- stable backhand/hyzerflip forehand/thumbers/escape rollers
173g ce tl- turnover/hyzer flip backhand
170g star fl- backhand hyzers/stable forehand/headwind

Understable Driver: done
169g beat champ x2 beast- distance hyzer flip->turnover backhand/back hand rollers

Distance Driver: done
169g beat pro destroyer- distaqnce backhand hyzerflip distance/turnovers
171g star destroyer- distance backhand

Moderately Overstable Driver: depending on your distance, this may fill the spot. Otherwise, the FL will fill this.
172g star xcaliber- distance forehand/forehand rollers/headwind

Very Overstable Driver: Again, depending on your power, the XCal may fit here. Otherwise, get an FX to fill here because that will not add a mold.

If you want something for headwind approaches, the Rocs should be plenty.
tushamajig13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion