Distance

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Blake_T » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:45 pm

btw, yah, the shark is versatile but once your power starts getting way up there they will turn (even when thrown with a hyzer).

the shark was more overstable than the original roc, but the ontario, and present rancho rocs are more overstable than the sharks... it's more about the high speed stability though.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby alerik » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:42 pm

I'm trying not to throw the Beast or the Valkyrie. because I don't have the power to get the most out of them.

I normally dont throw rounds of golf anymore. I mainly just go out and practice shots and situations. That's why there is so much overlap in my bag. I don't have many multiples of my discs so I'm trying to throw something similar to what I do have so I can get some repitition in.

When I do throw a round I usually use:

DX Gazelle
C. Leopard
DX Shark
DX Bulldog

I replaced my 178 gram C. Shark with the 167 gram DX Shark. I wanted something to approach with that was lighter than all the max weight Champion plastic I have for midrange shots. The only thing I have that is light is a 166 C Panter. Should this go into my bag as well?

PS What does btw mean?
If I can't beat you now, I will practice until I can.
alerik
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:26 am

btw = by the way.

i used to do a lot of field work, but nowadays i hardly do any unless i am training someone else. just remember disc is supposed to be fun too if it ever gets frustrating.

while i think learning all discs is important, once you find a few you like i believe it is good to get used to its differences in weights, age, plastic, etc. if you have multiple sharks, that is a good place to start.

i tend to prefer to carry 3 discs i trust rather than 3 different discs. e.g. for midrange i use: super beat up roc for understable, beat up roc for straight, and new roc for overstable.

i could get by with say a new roc for overstable, a new buzz for straight, and a new glide for understable, but i prefer to just use multiple rocs. on a side note, i can do decently well with 1 new roc and throwing it on different angles to get all 3 types of flights, but i find some specialization to be good once you have the base technique down.
Blake_T

Postby alerik » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:49 am

It doesn't frustrate me or at least it hasn't yet. I take enjoyment from playing in any way I can whether it is a great shot, near ace, a solid round, or finding another players discs and returning it, thus meeting new people.

I have found a few discs that I like and am currently working on getting another DX Gazelle, and I have five DX Bulldogs on the way so i can practice consistant putting.

I have three Sharks now, I DX @ 167g., and two Champion a 178, and I lighter one that I found. (it has no wieght written on it). The lighter one falls between my heavy Champion Shark and MY Lite DX Shark.

Would I be better off with the Champion DIscs in my bag, or should I get another DX shark or two?
alerik
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:26 am

imo, for your really overstable stuff, you can go ahead and stick to champ/z as long as your focus with them isn't straight flight or D.

for midranges... if you want straight, controllable flights you are better off with DX. you may want to keep a couple of stable to overstable ones for headwinds and hyzers in champ though.

i find midranges are generally the most inherently durable of all discs and need the least amount of babying.

it's up to you on how you want to progress, but keep this in mind: if you have multiples of a disc (say 3) and then rotate them as you play rounds or carry a few and rotate which one you throw, you will stretch out the lifespan of the disc by MORE than just 3:1.

from the sound of it, if you need any amount of experimenting with stuff i would take a look at other manufacturers.
Blake_T

Postby alerik » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:35 pm

When I first picked up the game again, I wanted the throw everything I could get my hands on. I wanted to have one of every disc on the market so I could see what I liked and what was comfortable for me to throw.

As of now, I like to throw Innova plastic. First, because I like their description of the flight characteristics of each disc. It seems a little easier to understand than discraft's stability number for the whole flight of their disc. The other reason I like Innova, is because that is all our local stores carry.

Thanks to our discussion, I know which type of plastic is easir to straighten out, and get better D. I also have a benchmark for when I should focus on throwing discs with higher speeds. I have found several discs that I like to throw that are suited for my level of play. Now I am currently working of get multiples of those discs. (Returned three Champion/Z discs today to a friend and recieved another DX Gazelle 168g., and broken in.)

Now time to work on mechanics and form. I found something in my putting today. I was letting my followthrough drop to my waist from my chest. I thought that this might be another cause as to why I turn everything over. Started following through level with my throw on my drives, and Bingo! My drives didn't turn over, they even kept the Hyzer route I put them on. I threw my new DX Shark 167, and hit about 240'. I have never been able to throw a midrange that far. I'll give it more work, and let you know how I progress.

Once again, thank you for all your help and the paticence you have showed.
alerik
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:02 pm

heh, i'm not a fan of innova's descriptions/charts. they are somewhat accurate, but give a lot of mis-leading statements. the ratings also change without notice like every 18 months or so (which leads me to believe they would be better off just allowing for expansion of the scales).

seriously though, choosing only 1 manufacturer (when you are not sponsored) is one of the most limiting things you can do at this stage.
Blake_T

Postby alerik » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:59 am

Isn't Innova expanding their scale with the addition of the Wraith, a speed @ 11?

I have throw several different brands of disc in my career. Discraft, Innova, Gateway, Millenium, Aroebe, and Lightning. Most of the Discraft, and other Innova stuff I have, I have found in creeks, and ponds with no name or phone # on them. The Discraft stuff is all Z plastic. I like the Crush, and Flick. When I can throw Z pastic fully I can't wait to throw my Flick's, Crush's, Wildcat's,Flash, Wasp, MVR, and Crystal Challenger.

There are only two places that sell discs where I am from. Both are Innova suppliers. Academy has Millenium, which I understand I a brach of Innova, as well as Innova. Innova is the only no online brand I can buy.

It's not that I want to throw only Innova, it is what I mainly see in my market.
alerik
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:09 pm

that addition to 11 was the first true expansion (that kept the other values the same) they have done since 1999 or so.

they have done two tweaks since then, 2001 and 2004... that changed the values big time.

discraft changed their system in 2001, collapsing it from -3 to +5 down to -1 to +3.

you can always buy online, and generally for a better deal :P

i like to support local vendors, as long as they aren't corporate monstrosities.

i would still recommend trying everything you can.
Blake_T

Postby krusen » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:52 pm

[quote=
i like to support local vendors, as long as they aren't corporate monstrosities.quote]

I brought the new GF to the cities about a month ago to show her a couple new courses, and decided to buy her a first disc, and get myself a wraith while I was at it. Got her a DX Stringray, and a Pro Wraith for myself at Air Traffic. Can't say I was real happy to pay 9$ for DX and 12$ for Pro plastic. :x I would have gone someplace else, but time was waning, and I wasn't sure on directions.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Blake_T » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:57 pm

the roseville air traffic is an independent franchise owned by a man and his wife and no longer buy from air traffic corporate.

i believe 2 others are owned by a different person...

the roseville store buys from where i work and they offer an MFA discount if you are a member of that to get stuff at $8/11/14.

by corporate monstrosities i was referring more to the likes of galyans/dick's, sportmart/sports authority, wal-mart, etc.
Blake_T

Postby alerik » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:52 am

The first disc I ever bought was a blue DX 172g. Gazelle. I bought it from a small white trailer @ Peace Park in Austin Texas around 1997.

I told the man in the trailer, that it was my first time to play, and he told me that that disc was great for beginners. From experinece, I know he was right.

You cannot get that kind of truth and honesty from some super store. I played in the first annual Amature shootout in Beeville Tx. Wal-Mart is the only supplier of plastic in that town. (This town is soon to be the centeral hub for D-Golf in Souther Texas*** See End Of Article) Because I have a lot of extra plastic I donated to the Local club.

People need knowledgable D-Golfers to help them along to choose the right stuff.

***See Beeville,TX.
alerik
Noob

Previous

Return to General Discussion