New beginner bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

New beginner bag

Postby Henrik1882 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:00 am

Hey guys,

I just started out a month ago, and I'm trying to put together my first bag, I don't wanna haul along a thousand discs when I play a round so here is what I came up with.

Beast Pro 175
Wraith DX 175
Destroyer DX 175( I'm trying to decide between this or the wraith)
Banshee DX 168
Whippet DX 170

Shark DX 177
Wolf Dx 180

2x Sonic DX 172

As you might notice, I'm an innova guy, but thats mainly because they are easier to figure out when purchasing online, We don't have alot of disc golf stores in DK.

Take care
Henrik1882
Noob

Postby rehder » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:47 am

If you just started a month ago then drop the following drivers

Wraith DX 175
Destroyer DX 175( I'm trying to decide between this or the wraith)
Banshee DX 168
Whippet DX 170

Buy more and lighter sharks, or other midranges (such as buzzz or rocs)

You might want to try cyclones or gazelles.

As you might notice, I'm an innova guy, but thats mainly because they are easier to figure out when purchasing online, We don't have alot of disc golf stores in DK.

What do you mean, theres at least three online stores.
discimport.dk / discsalg.dk / discbutikken.dk

Where do you live?
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Henrik1882 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:53 am

I meant there is not alot of real stores, you know the kind you walk into :)

I live in northern jutland.

When u say drop them drivers, isn't it a tad bit rushy. Maybe just learn to use the ones i Got? or is there some reason you said that?
Henrik1882
Noob

Postby mark12b » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:33 am

you'll find that many folks around here agree with the idea that beginners shouldn't start with the fastest or most overstable drivers... although it is possible to learn to throw those discs, that won't teach you good overall technique. check out this excellent post by blake (back when the teerex was the latest and greatest like the destroyer is now). it is a long post but is well worth your time:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... =4206#4206
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Henrik1882 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:41 am

Okay, that post makes sense.
So I'll keep the wraith and destroyer out of the bag for now and not order the whippet.
I just hauled my Banshee in to the woods, so that will probably make some dude happy some day.

I will order an Archangel and a TL, they were out of Gazelles, they were out of sharks to so maybe some Rocs.
And then I'm good to go Yes?

Take care
Henrik1882
Noob

Postby tumpsi » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:53 am

Please do not buy an Archangel. Stick with the TL. And buy all the Rocs you can get. You can't own too much of them.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rehder » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:45 am

Sure but some DX rocs. I reccommend them in weights from 164-174g. Remember the heavier they are, the shorter they will be.

And as tumpsi said, instead of ordering a lot of different discs, you will be happier having 5 of the same. Say 5 rocs and 5 tl's.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:52 am

tumpsi wrote:Please do not buy an Archangel. Stick with the TL. And buy all the Rocs you can get. You can't own too much of them.

Välkommen Henrik! Don't speak Danish but do some Swedish. The second best beer I've tasted is brewed by Nörrebro. Don't have the correct letter on my keyboard sorry.

Actually with tuning of discs and removing flashing you could get by with two TLs and three Rocs modified to fly differently from each other. Although a TL may not be the best learning mold. Read the best of section on the main page for good suggestions of first discs. Thank Blake later :-)

Run screaming with terror waving your arms above your head from Archangel. The term used here is squirrelly but that one's probably on crack. Totally loopy disc. So is the Sidewinder and broken in Roadrunner for anything but rolling and Roadrunner ain't fun as a roller either. If you dabble with these discs trying to learn good throwing technique you'll look like Peter Schmeichel at the end of an episode of Peter Smeichel's dirty jobs. Being frustrated and irritated on top of that because you don't know what went wrong and if the reason was the disc or you.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Henrik1882 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:27 am

Damn fine beer there, :)

I have no idea what flashing a disc means...
But I do have an idea of not to buy the archangel.

I will try to get some Rocs tomorrow maybee there is a Stadium store in Aalborg that carries them but they are pretty expensive :(

ANyway thanks for your help
Henrik1882
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:04 am

Henrik1882 wrote:Damn fine beer there, :)

I have no idea what flashing a disc means...
But I do have an idea of not to buy the archangel.

I will try to get some Rocs tomorrow maybee there is a Stadium store in Aalborg that carries them but they are pretty expensive :(

ANyway thanks for your help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=079xIxKtkcE Courtesy of Bradley Walker on this board.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jsw » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:35 am

I just started this past winter, listen to these guys. When I started I could 'hang' with the people who taught me within a few weeks JUST by dropping drivers out of my bag.

I have a buddy who just started recently and was struggling to find the fairways with any real consistency, told him to drop his driver and boom - He literally started lowering his scores the next hole.

I know having a driver sounds 'sexy' - but when you first start out, you will actually throw your mids equally as far(if not more) than a driver that you can't handle anyway. And on top of that it will be a LOT more accurate and controllable then winging some speedy overstable driver.

I played with a Roc and a putter only for the first few weeks. Then I added a slow ''fairway driver'' called a Gazelle, which is basically like a longer Roc. Then a month or so later I added a TL. And currently I'm starting to add in the occasional Orc or Valkyrie when I want pure D.

You have to take a slow and steady approach to your bag, and not overwhelm yourself with options or discs you can't handle yet anyway. I took this approach and now I can drive very well with my putters. Can shape a LOT of shots with my Roc since its all I had to work with for so long. And have a beat in money Roc to show for it =).

I seriously wouldn't start with ANY of the drivers you listed.

Drivers - If you HAVE to use one at all in the next 2 months, grab something slow. A Gazelle, Sabre, Cyclone. I wouldn't bother until you are really crushing your mids though. When I started and practiced in fields, there was almost no difference between my mid and drivers distance wise. This is because when you start your form, snap, and usable power all pretty much suck.

Mids - Sharks are good, my buddy loves his wolf, theres a ton of great mids - I(and most here) prefer rocs or Buzzz's.

Putter - Anything that feels comfortable, most prefer KC aviars or Wizards here.

Hope this helps, I can't stress how much playing with only mids and putters helped me become a decent player in a short amount of time. And I learned that from DGR 8)
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Henrik1882 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:18 am

Okay, I've been out playing a bit, I used only my Beasts, a shark, I bought a new Buzzz and my putters, It worked Brilliantly. So I'm gonna keep it at that.

So right now its

2 x Beast

Shark
Buzzz

2 x Sonic Putter

Gonna ad some more Buzzz though.

Thanks for your help and comments
Henrik1882
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion