THSam's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

THSam's Bag

Postby TarHeelSam » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:24 pm

Okay, so I've gone through tons of these and I'm attempting to come out of a "lurker shell" and contribute some more. Here is my bag as of late. I'm comfortable with it, but have a couple things in mind that I'm itching to try. However, I am also an over-analyzer, and don't want to screw anything up. I'll state this as plainly as I can...

Bag:

Driver Slots

165 Z Predator -- extreme hyzer shots, spikes, flick shots (not super comfy with pred flicks... used to throw crush/pulse... this is a bit more overstable... just dunno... gets the job done usually though.)

165 Z Surge -- distance -- yeah...one of my struggle points. I like the idea of it. I rarely use it. Usually just use it if I F up a Flash shot, and take a mulligan. I know that I don't need it per say, but its still in there for some reason.

169 ESP Flash -- distance -- this is a disc that I really WANT to love and I think I do. I throw this on my longer drives, but my max on it so far has been around 330', and on that I threw my TL about 5' further... so this one confuses me. Makes me feel powerful, but I'm not sure what I'm really gaining from it other than confidence, if that. I usually just wish that I had one a few grams lighter.

162 Star TL -- fairway driver -- my favorite and newest addition to the bag. Yeah, so this one I call my "fairway driver", though I throw it as far if not further than my "D" drivers. Good control with this thing... easy does it. I like this disc.

Midrange Slots

175 KC Roc -- stable mid -- latest addition to the bag, loving every minute of it.

170 KC Roc -- pretty beat -- straight mid -- thanks PIAS!

168 DX Roc -- most beat, trying to get it to turnover "super beat" phase -- thanks again, PIAS! $3 rules.

Putter Slots

168 D Magnet -- main putter -- tossed it for the first time today & threw a 6 under on 9 holes at a small local course with just it and a Roc -- comfy with it -- switched from magnets to wizards because of this board, and I'm back to the magnet. Love the wizard (honestly, I do...), but never felt confident with it on the putt.

170-ish Wizards -- I've got (3) 170 S, (1) 168 SSS, and (1) 171 SS...I will continue to test for what I like on upshots. May be the magnet, may be a wizard... not sure yet. I'm sure that I'll keep a couple of the S wiz's to throw off of the tee, although since I got the Roc's, they haven't gotten much use off the tee.

Side Notes

-Recently switched from Buzzz/Wasp combo to Roc's because as much as I loved the "idea...and names...lol" of the Buzzz/Wasp combo, I had them in the bag and rarely rarely threw them. Decided to give the Roc a shot, and fell in love with how slow and graceful they float through the air. It really is a beautiful disc to watch in flight. They just...well... float. <3 'em now.

-I'm in an awkward state with the Wizard. As stated earlier, I love them off the tee and usually on upshots, but I'm toying with the idea of whether or not to keep them around. I feel more comfy putting with the Magnet in my hand, and could easily go with the Magnet on my upshots. So I'm struggling with whether or not to keep the wiz around for only when I need a putter off the tee, because I feel like I can throw that shot with a Roc.

-I feel like I should strip the driver slots to Pred, Teebird, TL................ thoughts?
I want to learn to throw farther, obviously... and right now I'm throwing the TL every bit as long as the Surge and Flash...so I think I may need to "disc down" for a while and learn to get a Teebird out there past my TL or something. I dunno...could really use some ideas on this. Maybe a different disc than the Teebird, or something, I dunno. I just feel like if I'm throwing the TL past the other ones, something must be wrong.

-I always feel that I should have a Wraith in the bag. Yet, I never do.

Thanks for your time,
Sam.[/u]
Last edited by TarHeelSam on Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
|_zPred_Teeird_*TL_Roc_Comet_Challenger_|

Trade list: viewtopic.php?p=42708#42708
TarHeelSam
Tree Magnet

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:19 pm

If youre getting the flashes out to 330, I would drop them in favor of the TL. The TL sounds like it is a better fit for your power level right now.

I would make the bag

pred, TL, rocs, magnet.

I say drop the wiz if you arent putting with it. Off the tee the roc will cover most wizard shots and upshots. You might want to add something like a teebird for when you need moderate stability but the pred is overkill.

forget about the wraith. the flash is very similar and you dont have the power for either quite yet. wraiths and flashes really are designed to be thrown by players with 375'+ power.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby TarHeelSam » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:51 am

Okay I'll keep the wraith out for sure then... I always figured I wasn't really ready for one, it's just hard to avoid the temptation.

How "overkill" would a teebird or something similar be? Should I be fine with just the pred and a TL? Or maybe something like an eagle-x or a valk?

TarHeelSam
Tree Magnet

Postby TarHeelSam » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:35 pm

Hmm..boo.

If there's some way that I can get some more feedback by in the morning, that would just be stellar. Tomorrow is payday...*cough*disc buying day*cough*.

I'm anxious.

:twisted:

TarHeelSam
Tree Magnet

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:02 pm

Even though I'm a Millennium thrower, the TL is a great disc. It doesn't over react and goes a long way. I'd look at having a couple in different weights. The Sirius Orion LS (SOLS) is very similar. It gives me good D and is very predictable. My main driver is the Sirius Orion LF (SOLF) and is very smooth into a headwind and very predicable. I carry both of these in different weights and wear stages. In my opinion, I would try to keep the type of drivers to a minimum.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby mark12b » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:36 pm

TarHeelSam wrote:Okay I'll keep the wraith out for sure then... I always figured I wasn't really ready for one, it's just hard to avoid the temptation.

How "overkill" would a teebird or something similar be? Should I be fine with just the pred and a TL? Or maybe something like an eagle-x or a valk?

teebird will be pretty similar to the tl, just with more fade and more wind resistance. eagle-x would be one step further in that direction. both are great discs and would be a good complement to the tl. if you want a distance driver instead of another fairway driver then yeah a valk would be a great choice. any would be a useful addition to the bag, just pick what you're in the mood for and have fun! :D
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TarHeelSam » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:39 pm

Picked up a 165 DX Valk today... we'll see if I can't get it out past my TL.

TarHeelSam
Tree Magnet

Postby TarHeelSam » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:23 am

TarHeelSam wrote:Picked up a 165 DX Valk today... we'll see if I can't get it out past my TL.

So far that's a no-go on the Valk..... didn't throw it very well at all yesterday.

TarHeelSam
Tree Magnet

Postby mark12b » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:47 pm

they fly better after they've broken in a bit and start to develop more high-speed turn.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion