Jimmy's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Jimmy's bag

Postby Jimmy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:17 pm

This is the first time I've posted my bag, although I've tweaked it a few times with advice from reading other bag critiques. Here goes.

Drivers:
Valks: 170g. Pro and Proto DX. I use Valks for most of my drives. I keep the pro because I love the feel. All the Star Valks I've had seemed domey and uncomofortable, and Champion just doesn't make sense to me here for something I use as a touch disc. The Proto/1st Run DX is slightly more overstable than newer Valks. I love them. I need to buy like 20 more.

Z Preds: Around 171g. I use these in the wind, and when I need a strong left finish. I use them for thumbers and sidearm flicks. Z plastic because there's no reason for me to have a beat in Predator. I recently swapped these for firebirds, which never felt comfortable to me.

Champ Roadrunners: Around 172g. I use these for anhyzers, and [attempting] rollers. I use the Champ over the Star because I like the way they fly out of the box, and to me Champ beats up much more slowly than star.

Star Teerex: 168g. I carry a Teerex that I don't really need. It's my lightest disc, and in my head I can throw it farther than my Valks. It performs in the wind better than my Valks. Eventually I'll wise up and put it away until my game gets better. I already put away the heavier ones.

Star TLs: 170g. Fairway driver, control driver. I find that a new one will finish with a bit of fade for me, whereas a nice, beat in one will stay dead straight. I use them for sidearm flicks, too. Back when I played in the woods a lot, they got more use.

Mids:
(I recently switched from Rocs to Buzzz/Wasp. While Rocs worked for me, I just love the way a Buzzz feels and made the switch. I'm still in the experimental phase with the Buzzz's and Wasps.)

Z Buzzz's: 177-178g. I have obtained a few 2nd 1st Runs which I love and feel very comfortable with, and a couple of new Z Buzzz's to compare them to. I throw these as my straight and turnover Mids, and for long approaches. I don't throw putters much outside of 100 feet or so.

Wasps: 175g. I have Z and ESP, still figuring out which one I like better. I'll probably keep both. I use this as my stable Mid, and in the wind sometimes. Like I said, I'm still auditioning them.

KC Pro Whippet. 172g. Yes, I listed this as a mid. I do not use it off the Tee. I use it for extremely windy appraches, spike hyzers, short tumbers, trick shots, extremely windy putts, approaches around trees and obstacles, and other utility shots. Sometimes, I'll use it for any old approach just because I know I can always make it curl up under the basket. I have utmost confidence in the way this disc flies, and it will probably never leave my bag. I can throw it up in the air and it just falls down next to the basket.

Putters:
First Run Pro Aviars. 174-175g. Once I found these babies, I knew it was the putter for me. I love the BB Aviar mold, very comfortable for my putting style and grip. The KC Pro's were too stiff, the JK A-x's, which I used for a long time, were too gummy in the heat. These are just too perfect. I'm lucky to have obtained 8 or so of them (without paying more than about 12 bucks for any one of them) so I can have plenty to practice with. I literally think this plastic will last a lifetime.

I don't throw putters off the tee much, or from much of a distance. I tend to feel more comfortable with a Mid.

What do you think?

I'd like to try an Eagle-X, possibly to replace my Valks, but it's unlikely.
I'd also like to try a Flick, as a new Proto Valk worls for me in light headwinds, and a flick might be better for thumbers, sidearm flicks, and extreme winds.
I'll also probably get some ESP Buzzz's, and an FLX Buzzz or 2. I think the FLX will be good for my short approach shots. It might be too floppy, though.
Any opinions on that?

Fritz wrote:Play with Jimmy, he is cool as hell!

Aviars / Rocs / Whippets / Gators / Leopards / TLs / Teebirds / Eagle-X's / Firebirds

My Trade/Sale list:
Jimmy's Trade/Sale List
Jimmy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Solty » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:15 am

I think your bag is stacked. No need for the eagle-x when you have a valk, teerex, and TL.

Stay away from the flick...it's similar to a teerex.

My thinking is that the Valks and roadrunner overlap. However, reading your rationale, if the Valks are stable for you, great!

You could minimize molds by removing the Wasp and buzz..and and in a Champ and DX roc :)

....shameless roc plug, sorry :)
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Jimmy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:41 am

I actually just pulled Rocs out of my bag. This is a trial run for the Buzzz's and Wasps. I know I love the Buzzz, and may end up carrying a Champ Roc or 2 in place of the Wasp...who knows.

Fritz wrote:Play with Jimmy, he is cool as hell!

Aviars / Rocs / Whippets / Gators / Leopards / TLs / Teebirds / Eagle-X's / Firebirds

My Trade/Sale list:
Jimmy's Trade/Sale List
Jimmy
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion