RustyP's bag - critique away!

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

RustyP's bag - critique away!

Postby RustyP » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:52 pm

Never done the critique thing before...curious to see what others think about my set-up.

If it helps, I'm currently 937 rated (will be bumping up to the 960s after the next update), I throw accurately up to around 375' and can get one out there to about 415' on a wide-open hole. I feel my strengths are my midrange and upshot game, with distance driving slowly improving. Putting is also getting much better lately, thanks to practice.

Stable Control Drivers:
175 CE Teebird (TB mold - ever-so-slightly understable)
175 Champion Teebird (overstable for a Teebird...great for placement shots within 350')
175 Star Orc (when I need a little more D than the Teebirds will allow, but more control than a TRX)

Distance Drivers:
(2) 175 Star Teerex (one new, one used)

Understable Drivers:
175 Sirius Orion LS (newish, still understable)
175 Millennium Orion LS (beat for rollers, giant turnovers)

Overstable Drivers:
172 Star Max (for standard backhand shots)
170 Star Firebird (used mainly for overhand shots, some short controlled skip shots)

Mids:
(4) 175 Flat-top Rocs (beaten to all stages of wear)
175 Champ Glow Roc (more stable then newest FT Roc)
175 Champ Whippet-x (mondo overstable...short spike upshots, "lawn-dart" shots, tall skips)

Putts:
175 Black 12x KC Pro Aviar (one of the soft black ones...go-to putter)
175 Black 12x KC Pro Aviar (one of the stiffer dark grey ones...go-to upshot within 150')

I also occasionally carry a 175 Champ Eagle-x strictly for thumbers, but only when I'm playing a course that I *know* I'll need a thumber on. When I'm in a bind, the Firebird will work, but I heavily favor the Ch Eagle-x for thumbers...just a more comfortable grip for me.

My initial thoughts after typing all of this out is that I shoudl either learn a good thumber with the Firebird and drop the occasional Eagle, OR learn to control the Max better, cut out the Firebird, and put an Eagle back in the bag for thumbers.

I'm also thinking that the CE Teebird and Star Orc overlap just enough that I could do away with one...probably the TB since it's hard to replace. Knowing my game, I can still see instances where I would use one and not the other, but with some more practice I could probably manage without one.

All-in-all, this is the best set-up I've ever had, and I feel very good about it...but I'm curious to see what others might do with it to improve.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Triplebogey » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:32 pm

I'd drop the T-rex'es

then make a choice between the Max and the Firebird

top it off by using only a couple Rocs
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Re: RustyP's bag - critique away!

Postby victorb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:14 pm

RustyP wrote:Stable Control Drivers:
175 Star Orc (when I need a little more D than the Teebirds will allow, but more control than a TRX)

Just my 2 cents, but most people with a setup like yours would use SOLFs for this slot, they do exactly what is described. I dont think an orc fits "stable control driver" in any way whatsoever :O
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby RustyP » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:54 pm

victorb wrote:
RustyP wrote:Stable Control Drivers:

Just my 2 cents, but most people with a setup like yours would use SOLFs for this slot, they do exactly what is described. I dont think an orc fits "stable control driver" in any way whatsoever :O

It's funny you mention that...I was just thinking about this last night at the course. I am able to control the Orc the best out of all my distance drivers, and I think its been a pretty successful disc for me so far. However, the Orion LF, like you said, fits the same description but is available in Sirius and Millennium plastic (Pro Orc is nothing like an Orc, IMO...and the DX just sucks).

I'm thinking I can use the SOLF in place of the Star Orc, and maybe test out the MOLF to fit a slot I've never been able to fill...a base plastic stable distance driver that beats in to become dead-straight with minimal fade. I've never thrown an MOLF, much less a seasoned one, but from my experience with the SOLF, i think its worth a shot.

My other option to fill that second slot is to just get a DX Teebird and beat it up, so that it'll fly flat and long with no fade.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby cmlasley » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:17 pm

RustyP wrote:..a base plastic stable distance driver that beats in to become dead-straight with minimal fade.

My other option to fill that second slot is to just get a DX Teebird and beat it up, so that it'll fly flat and long with no fade.

I have a SOLF that is beat enough to fly straight with very little fade. It also turns right if I get on it.

As far as I'm concerned, though, the SOLF and Orc are very similar. The SOLF has a slightly narrower rim, but their flights are very similar. I like the feel of the SOLF more - it's closer to a Teebird, my bread-and-butter.

The DX Teebird will work, too. I can almost put them out as far as the SOLF.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion