Bag for 4 month novice

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Bag for 4 month novice

Postby bla » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:58 pm

I am LHBH and I frequently use Tomahawk throws. I have been playing for about three months and throw 275 feet max but I seem to be getting longer. I seem to do best with the sidewinder now, but I will be ready to migrate to a faster disk when it is beneficial. I have tried to build my bag by the types of scenarios I would have to throw instead of trying to cover all types of disc types. Several discs are used in more than one category. I use 7 discs total. I have several disks from the same run for my more important disks and rotate them so they break in evenly.
____
Under stable driver: 168 champ Sidewinder Control / Fairway Driver) (I rotate 4 of these)
Stable Driver: 176 Odyssey Ultra long range driver (Over water/ Max distance) (I rotate 5 of these)
Over stable Driver: 169 Pro Destroyer (longer hyzer shots) (over stable for my arm)
----------
Fairway distance driver: 168 champ Sidewinder
Fairway straight driver: (distances 250 to 150 I would use a Tomahawk throw see below)
----------
Left fade Tomahawk: 174 standard #1 flyer (used for 250 to 150 feet when left fade is needed) (Works like a RHBH Hyzer for me)
------------
Stable Mid: Warn 170 DX Roc (go to disc for 175 to 75 feet straight)
Over stable Mid: 180 DX Roc (mid hyzer) (just added because my 170 Roc is losing low speed fade)
Straight mid: / Approach 175 soft Wizard (go to disc for 100 to 51 feet straight or any shot from 75 to 51 feet)
--------------
Putter: 175 soft Wizard (I rotate 6 of these) (putts are 50 feet or under)
bla
Noob

Postby mark12b » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:15 pm

since you already have a destroyer in your bag, there's nothing faster to graduate to. :)

have you tried any slower drivers? if you're at 275' of power+technique then you shouldn't really need to throw anything faster than a speed 6 driver on innova's scale (gazelle, cheetah, or similar from another manufacturer). slower drivers will fly just as far, be more controllable, help teach good technique, etc.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bla » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:11 pm

I have a KC Pro teebird, a DX leopord, a Lightning P-2, a DX Archangel and a Dragon but I seem to be able to throw the Sidewinder just as controlled but with about 30 more feet per throw on average. The dragon seems to be to light in the wind compared to the sidewinder.

I am not able to turn over the Destroyer so I only use it If need a long right fading hyzer shot. In fact I have not used it at all for the last couple of weeks.

My primary "goto" driver is the Sidewinder now.

I have really tried to evaluate my game to make sure I was not just throwing the longest fastest disks and was throwing what is currently best for me and I do currently feel the Sidewinder is the best that I know to throw right now based on my exploration.
bla
Noob

Postby mark12b » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:33 pm

well, you seem to have all the slots covered, so in that respect it's a well rounded bag.

it really comes down to what your goals are. if you're happy with the technique part of your game and what it gives you out on the course, then there isn't really any reason to change up the bag. but if you're trying to improve your distance, or accuracy, or line shaping, or whatever, then you should look at putting some slower plastic in your bag.

basically if you can learn the technique to throw the teebird 300' then the sidewinder will be going 340' for you. and that's totally possible in a few months with the right kind of effort. but if you spend the same amount of time just trying to throw the sidewinder 340' you probably won't get there -- and, you won't have a nice accurate 300' teebird shot in your arsenal either.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bla » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:41 am

I have read the thoughts on, slowing down the drivers and letting your distance grow more controlled. Based on what you are saying I will work more with the KC Tee Bird and put it back into my bag.
bla
Noob

Postby mark12b » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:00 am

cool, you'll find a lot of love for fairway drivers on this forum. here's a post that explains why it's good to start with discs that are appropriate to your power level:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... =4206#4206

here's someone who can throw teebirds 460' :shock: -- the teebird is a slow disc but that doesn't mean it's short!

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... 2617#82617

the forum is called "disc golf review" but really the most valuable part of the forum is the stuff about technique -- spend time digging through old technique posts, use search, ask questions, get some video of yourself and post it for critique, etc. and you'll be better before you know it! :D
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion