Disc Tuning

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby SiDeArM jUnKiE » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:50 pm

Alot of great info here and can't wait to try tuning my Star Destoryer back to stable. Anyone try to tune a Rogue yet?
The glare from my head will blind you
SiDeArM jUnKiE
Tree Magnet

Postby GorillaTactics » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:01 pm

So is it possble to tune DX to be more overstable? Seems like it wouldn't be ideal but I'm curious if anybody's tried it. My most $$$ roc is starting to turn over and I want it to go straight as an arrow still...
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby cmlasley » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:06 pm

GorillaTactics wrote:So is it possble to tune DX to be more overstable? Seems like it wouldn't be ideal but I'm curious if anybody's tried it. My most $$$ roc is starting to turn over and I want it to go straight as an arrow still...

Don't do it. Flippy rocs are gold. I'll trade you a straight one for your flippy.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby tim » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:03 am

GorillaTactics wrote:So is it possble to tune DX to be more overstable? Seems like it wouldn't be ideal but I'm curious if anybody's tried it. My most $$$ roc is starting to turn over and I want it to go straight as an arrow still...

Grab one of the Star Ontarios -- that is the straightest Roc I've picked up in years and flies just like some of the beat DXs I've had for years. I got a couple of the X-Outs and still can't believe how straight they fly.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby SkaBob » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:00 pm

So I had this 150 Z Flick that was juts too flippy for me, and decided to give it a go with tuning.

WOW.

What once was too flippy to be reliable enough to keep in the bag is now too stable for me to flip up! I'm curious to know how long it'll stay stable, guess it goes back in the bag to find out!

MAD SCIENCE!! 8)
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby cmlasley » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:02 pm

SkaBob wrote:What once was too flippy to be reliable enough to keep in the bag is now too stable for me to flip up!

Word. I changed a 1.1 SOLF into a 1.2+ SOLF. There is no turn and a big fade on that baby now. It's like Pred-lite.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby geoloseth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:05 pm

The Z plastic should hold up for as long as you have the disc. Plus if it ever gets a little understable again you can just tune it back up. My star teerexs and wraiths have held up for about 4 months now without any signs of change.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Eric O » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:22 pm

Here's another testimonial in favor of this method working as described. Only tried star plastic so far. Don't think I'd try it with anything but ESP/Star or candy.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby disc junkie » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:51 pm

Eric O wrote:Here's another testimonial in favor of this method working as described. Only tried star plastic so far. Don't think I'd try it with anything but ESP/Star or candy.

+1..I too have tuned my star teerex into basically a hybrid wraith/teerex and loving it.

thank you seth
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby geoloseth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:19 pm

disc junkie wrote:
Eric O wrote:Here's another testimonial in favor of this method working as described. Only tried star plastic so far. Don't think I'd try it with anything but ESP/Star or candy.

+1..I too have tuned my star teerex into basically a hybrid wraith/teerex and loving it.

thank you seth

Your welcome. How's the yellow wraith I sent you? Brad had tuned that one up a little bit but I never got to throw it. From what I saw it flew pretty well.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby disc junkie » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:24 am

geoloseth wrote:
disc junkie wrote:

thank you seth

Your welcome. How's the yellow wraith I sent you? Brad had tuned that one up a little bit but I never got to throw it. From what I saw it flew pretty well.

its great, exactly what ive been looking for, however it hasnt been getting as much air time as the 168 u sent. That disc opened my eyes to how great lighter weights can be. Ive thrown max weight since day 1 10 yrs ago and was always pig headed about lighter weights being for "girls". man was i WRONG!
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby gretagun » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:11 am

Can you tune a fish? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I picked up a Champ Tee-Bird a month ago (wish I just got DX instead) and the disc was overstable for me. Tuned it understable, and now if flies just like my lost beat DX, with maybe a little more fade. That disc was a whole new animal last night on the course, and I love it. I'll admit I was skeptical, but I was so fed up with the Champ, I didn't care if I ruined it. Thanks for the video and insightful replies!
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Previous

Return to Video Critique