My bag's shaping up fast. (mods can you move this? sorry)

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My bag's shaping up fast. (mods can you move this? sorry)

Postby practically invincible » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:16 pm

After a solid month of playing 5+ rounds a week on some real courses I've shaved many strokes off of my average and set my bag in stone (mostly) for the time being.

1) Stable control Driver:
175g Star Eagle (go to disc)
165g Star Eagle (dead straight after hyzer flip)
168g Star Starfire (sweepers or forehand control)

2) Distance driver:
163g Star Orc (slight turnover with hyzer flip)
168g Champ Orc (well worn: turnover/hyzer flip madness)

3) Understable
165g Star Eagle (from above) (tuned and worn to hold buttery sweet anny)
168g Champ Orc (from above) (super long anny flex shot)
175g Champ Roadrunner (straight up and back down thumber for tree jumps or weird turnover/slow drive shots, not used often)

4) Mod. Overstable
175g Star Starfire
168g Star Starfire (from above) (no wind/tailwind)

5) Very Overstable
175g Star Max (big skips, knife hyzer etc.)
169g Star Max (worn slightly, killer headwind D, long thumber)

As you can see the lighter weight Eagle, Orc and Starfire fill multiple roles depending on conditions.

Midrange:
None, I never seem satisfied with one, I rarely have a shot I can't do with a putter or driver so for now it stays empty.

Putters:
175g Black Wizard Soft (putter drives or upshots which require the disc to sit down nicely)
162g Soft Wizard 3x (all putts, rotated through to wear evenly)

I dotn have the range of putter wear like Blake suggests because I have no need for it yet,m when I become more consistent maybe but I am able to shoot straight/hyzer/anny with the light weight softies so I'm satisfied for now. What do you fellows think?

PS The reason I throw so much star is because I got sick of dx only lasting 5 rounds in the heavily wooded courses I play all the time. Plus I like the flight/feel of star.

Thanks
Last edited by practically invincible on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Postby practically invincible » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:19 pm

Oh and I forgot, I'll put with the heavy max into crazy stupid wind, works out well if you can learn its fade.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Re: My bag's shaping up fast. (mods can you move this? sorry

Postby garublador » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:06 am

practically invincible wrote:3) Understable
175g Champ Roadrunner (straight up and back down thumber for tree jumps or weird turnover/slow drive shots, not used often)
I'd be careful with this disc. If you don't use it that often I'd be weary to break it out on shots that aren't specailty shots on courses you're familiar with.

5) Very Overstable
175g Star Max (big skips, knife hyzer etc.)
169g Star Max (worn slightly, killer headwind D, long thumber)

If you start finding that they don't hold up for headwind spike hyzers it might be worth considering something else. If not then don't worry about it.
Midrange:
None, I never seem satisfied with one, I rarely have a shot I can't do with a putter or driver so for now it stays empty.
Yeah, but you'd be surprised how many of those shots are way easier with a Roc.

I dotn have the range of putter wear like Blake suggests because I have no need for it yet,m when I become more consistent maybe but I am able to shoot straight/hyzer/anny with the light weight softies so I'm satisfied for now. What do you fellows think?
I don't have a ton of variation with the beatness of my putters either.

PS The reason I throw so much star is because I got sick of dx only lasting 5 rounds in the heavily wooded courses I play all the time. Plus I like the flight/feel of star.
IMO where DX/S/D shines is stable control drivers, midranges and putters. If you're comfortable putting your Eagle-X's on any line from hyzer, to anhyzer and all S shots inbetween then you're probably OK. However, if you're having problems hitting trees (which would be the only reason DX beats in super fast on wooded courses) then you may want to consider switching to a DX Eagle-X to work on your control. It will be much easier to learn to avoid trees that way rather than just being satisfied with hitting them.

Al that being said, with the exception of the missing mids, looks pretty good.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby practically invincible » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:49 pm

Wow, awesome reply thanks, first of all I tried the roc... just wasnt working. I worked on shorts with it for q long time. Im debating trying the cro. That roadrunner as you said is for fun shots when I'm playing a fun round. I know it really well since it was one of my first discs so I keep it around. And as far as the star goes I misspoke, it isn't hitting trees while flying that is the problem, its the low brush and rocks on the ground and such. I make the star work but I am considering cycling in some dx eagles I have I do find star flights more predictible because of the smoother break in. Thanks for your great input. Any opinions on easier to hold mids would be awesome, the whole hard rim on the shark/roc/similar molds just doesnt work for my girl hands I guess.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:30 pm

practically invincible wrote:And as far as the star goes I misspoke, it isn't hitting trees while flying that is the problem, its the low brush and rocks on the ground and such.
Yeah, I suppose it might be more difficult to avoid hitting the ground than it is avoiding trees. If you have the cash or already have the discs it might not hurt to grab a couple DX Eagle-X's and just run them through the cycle just for practice. Everytime I get a new, DX fairway driver and use it a ton until it's kind of flippy I learn a lot. Plus you'll have some beat up discs for your understable spot as backups in case you loose a beat Star disc and don't have another one waiting to fill the spot.

If you don't want a Roc and don't like the way it feels you can try an Element-X. I found the rims to feel quite a bit different between the two. A combination of an E Element and E Element-X might work well for you. I find that Wasps and Buzzzes don't feel all that different from Rocs and they come in high end plastic.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby GorillaTactics » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:05 pm

Try a Cro....smaller diameter if you have small hands.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby practically invincible » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:53 pm

GorillaTactics wrote:Try a Cro....smaller diameter if you have small hands.

I don't have little hands, they just don't like the feel of those weird rims, plus I like the driver size better. So a cro it is, weight/plastic suggestions?
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Postby k-os » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:24 pm

I found I liked the feeling of the rim on the QMS/Aurora MS. If I were you I would give it a try also.
"If religion had a good purpose, then man would have created something great. But we're man: we mess up everything. We mess up nature. We mess up God. We take what is given to us and make it into what we think it should be."
- Ziggy Marley
k-os
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FLX Buzzz

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion