Chris Boro, Barry Schultz, Justin Bunnell slow motion drives

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Chris Boro, Barry Schultz, Justin Bunnell slow motion drives

Postby Aaron_D » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:24 am

Some of you may have seen this, but for those who havent this is a really good video of 3 top notch players ripping it with awesome slow mo and freeze frame. If you havent seen it I suggest checking it out. I learned a lot from watching it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pb7hqpMjsSg
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby GorillaTactics » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:20 am

sweet, thanks for the link.

I had an epiphany yesterday about keeping my elbow up...instant D due to less wasted energy. Watching all 3 of these guys do the same thing confirms my theory.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby dflaschiii » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:56 am

Nice link.

Love Shultz's form, very graceful, but Bunnel looks like he's just crushing them with such little effort. Very compact toss, looks extremely accurate.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby BLURR » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:27 pm

Justin can absolutely bomb. I've seen him throw some bombs well over 500 ft.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby cmlasley » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:20 pm

My arm speed looks exactly like Bunnell's . . . when they play his at 20%.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby steezo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:34 pm

Now you just have to figure out how to throw 800% power :lol:
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:26 pm

Maybe I'm not seeing what everyone keeps talking about. But when I watch Barry throw I see very little hip action. All I keep hearing from the player critique section is that you have to get more hip action. I seriously don't see much from Barry. What am I missing???
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby dgdave » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:43 pm

Barry has a really unique form. He's not a good person to try to emulate, except not being hurky-jerky
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby geoloseth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:27 pm

I havent watched my video recently but I think my form resembles his since I've started turning my back more toward the target. But I could be wrong. That's just how I picture myself throwing.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:51 am

Steady 26542 wrote:Maybe I'm not seeing what everyone keeps talking about. But when I watch Barry throw I see very little hip action. All I keep hearing from the player critique section is that you have to get more hip action. I seriously don't see much from Barry. What am I missing???

Justin has a lot more hip turn in the power generation and follow through both compared to Barry. Barry is leaving more energy to be dissipated in the leg pivot. However; Barry does indeed utilize his hips in the power generation quite well I assume. Without measuring it's hard for me to tell how fast he turns his hips. The less you move in degrees the harder the late acceleration can be. Power focus applies to legs, hips, shoulders and arm. Barry has a compact 10-15 degree hip turn compared to Justin who has about a half more hip turn in the power generation. Because Barry utilizes a small amount of turn it's difficult to see but the slo mo helps. He might be so quick in the hip twist that it's more difficult to notice as well.

Timing is almost everything and it's interesting to see how early Barry twists the little amount he does with the hips. He follows the advice given in the articles on the main page here of plant, hips, shoulders, etc. If I saw correctly he has finished the quick hip twist before the disc leaves his hand. It's like he tries to achieve the correct position with the hip twist but not generate that much acceleration for the plyometric loading of the wrist. That comes from his shoulders more than with other players.

I've seen Källström use hips, shoulders and arm quickly simultaneously unlike Barry with the traditional plant then hips then shoulders etc. linear consecutive sequence. If I've understood correctly Källström's way is what Bradley Walker on this forum has been training for for increased snap lately.

If every body part achieves quick acceleration simultaneously so late that it bends the wrist back at the latest possible time at maximum force to also achieve good speed for optimal speed/RPM ratio then that could yield interesting results :-D Haven't tried to train for that yet. It's been intriguing to think of it though :-D Dunno if it'll work and if it does I have no clue in which position in space each body part should start accelerating. And how hard and where the individual quickest acceleration for each body part should occur. I think there's bound to be some overlap but not total for the best acceleration of different body parts. Perhaps not all the parts can fire at max power exactly simultaneously but when everything is at high power at the same time it should be more than enough. As long as it occurs late in the throw for good late power focus.

It'll be a while before I can train this seriously thanks to injuries. My form and power generation has suffered and I need to compensate and correct some faults I've noticed from trying to spare my hurt ankle. I need to drop my stance from the knees for a better positioning for the left leg push and concentrate on pushing hard with the left leg. Unlike I was instructed to I'm able to shuffle step now with a little hop. I just need to keep my foot angles mild to save my ankle from excess stress. So whatever I find ain't probably the best way for healthy people.

When I can correct previous problems. A round last week I played had 5 drives that ended up 15 degrees left because I didn't push hard enough with the left leg and had too straight knees :-( Training is dangerous right now because my arm's acting up again. I need to spare my arm because I'll be futzing around with technique and playing some holes with Hwicha before Tali Open begins on Friday and I'm off to holidays afterwards so I need to stay healthy.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Craig Smolin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:01 am

Steady 26542 wrote:Maybe I'm not seeing what everyone keeps talking about. But when I watch Barry throw I see very little hip action. All I keep hearing from the player critique section is that you have to get more hip action. I seriously don't see much from Barry. What am I missing???

thought I might offer a brief response to this observation... while it is true that Barry uses a bit less hip turn, his back and arm extension is far longer than either Chris or Justin's. IMO, this is where he generates the majority of his power.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:35 am

Barry isn't using a lot of his hip power - but he also maxes out around 450' or less (I don't recall the distance exactly, but a hole he threw on he commented that it was his max distance these days). He really gets a lot of power and snap with his upper body and is able to keep the nose down, thus he gets some good distance. He's also getting great energy transfer from his motion into the disc. He also takes a much longer final step than the other guys.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Craig Smolin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:46 pm

as one last point - barry throws 450' with absolute pinpoint control. you don't really need any more distance than that...
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:51 pm

Craig Smolin wrote:as one last point - barry throws 450' with absolute pinpoint control. you don't really need any more distance than that...

True dat.

...and he can throw 450' with control. That is far...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Triplebogey » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:58 pm

dgdave wrote:Barry has a really unique form. He's not a good person to try to emulate, except not being hurky-jerky

Maybe that's why he prefers understable discs. His tecnique is so smooth that he has 0 OAT.
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Next

Return to Video Critique