PD's "critique my throw"

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

PD's "critique my throw"

Postby pointdisc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:29 pm

Been having nose-up issues lately, but seemed to have it figured out for the time being plus I've been wanting to get some vids on here, so here goes...

CRITIQUE AWAY! All tips, concerns, and harsh reality will be accepted.
Please excuse the poor quality. I used my Kodak digital for it and don't have any editing software.

Backhand Throws:

All throws were done w/ Eagle-X's and were in the 330-360 range (Eagle 3 was the best)

Eagle 1
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd104/jscha931/?action=view&current=100_9669.flv

Eagle 2
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd104/jscha931/?action=view&current=100_9670.flv

Eagle 3
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd104/jscha931/?action=view&current=100_9672.flv

T-Hawkin

Throws in the 310-320 range

Star FB
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd104/jscha931/?action=view&current=5672ab46.pbr

Colonel goes for a ride
ttp://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd104/jscha931/?action=view&current=100_9677.flv

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby JR » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:59 am

Wait until later to start the quick acceleration of the arm.

It might be the down to up perspective messing with me. You seem to start the disc higher in the reach back than you release it. It is a way to compensate for high throws but it's tricky because you can get worm burners all too easily.

When correcting form slow steps are good but you could take slower and shorter steps to help more with the timing and placement. It'll probably rob you some of your distance but gain accuracy. Which often ain't a problem with your power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby CJ1998 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:52 pm

I'd add that you should work on the footwork. It almost seems like you're stumbling through. More fluid feet and hips mean more powerful throws.

I like the fact that you are sticking to as few molds as possible. I've been trying to do that myself.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:44 pm

Your mechanics are good, your timing is poor.

Watch the foot steps relative to setting your pull, and hitting the hit.

Your timing is like 1-2-3-4-5.

Look at any good thrower.

their timing is more like

threeeeee
4-5!!!

The threeeee is the start of the pull, and the hit happens at about 4.5.

Like trying to put your lead shoulder through a wall.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby black udder » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:33 pm

well, i can't believe you're getting 330'-360' off that 3rd throw. Doesn't mean it's not happening, just always surprises me to see that kind of distance when I see what I believe would be distance inhibiting factors.

1) Major nose up. Your weight is back and your wrist loosens up and the disc pops up about 45 degrees at release.

2) Probably releasing/pulling kinda low. I might shoot for something higher up to under your chin. Like in the area below the chin and above the nipples. See if that helps with the nose up.

3) I don't think you're getting any power from the hips. Try starting the throw with a hip pivot, then as your arm pulls through, increase to 100%, then 120% as you go past your right pec.

4) Looks like you might have some off axis torque - you finish really low, and slowly.

5) I'd find it hard to believe the x-step is improving anything besides rhythm for you. Try for something smoother and momentum inducing. Something that gets you moving towards the hit instead of so methodical.

Obviously, if you're 300'+, something is right. You could be pulling really close to your chest and getting some good snap. That along with some OAT would turn the discs into a good S pattern and give you some reasonable distance.

Good luck.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby pointdisc » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:47 am

So, what I've gleemed off the insights and order to work from.

1) Better throw height
2) Weight forward
3) Hips
4) Runup

Adding them one-by one in the order above. Seem like the most logical order? All working backwards of course (standing throw, one step, etc.).

Thanks a million guys for all the comments. Makes this site worth it!

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:54 am

1) Weight forward
1) Weight forward
1) Weight forward
1) Weight forward
1) Weight forward
1) Weight forward

Mostly it looks like a timing problem. Like brad said, you need to work on building a better rhythm. Watching pros and your own vids back to back will help you emulate their form much easier. It looks like you need to get your weight forward earlier. Lean into the throw before you even run up. Watch david wiggins jr. he has GREAT form for looking at maximizing your whole body's potential. He leans into the throw and his runup is mostly just keeping him from falling forward. You need to really get that weight forward and put it into the disc.

Think about putting all your energy into the disc. Your weight moving forward is a huge source of energy. Its hard to explain, but just think "put my weight INTO it!!!"
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Eric O » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:20 am

Bradley Walker wrote:Your mechanics are good, your timing is poor.

Watch the foot steps relative to setting your pull, and hitting the hit.

Your timing is like 1-2-3-4-5.

Look at any good thrower.

their timing is more like

threeeeee
4-5!!!

The threeeee is the start of the pull, and the hit happens at about 4.5.

Like trying to put your lead shoulder through a wall.
This is good advice for anyone. I struggled literally for a couple years with trying to achieve this sort of timing on my throw. Getting better but far from perfect.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Video Critique