Standstill question

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Standstill question

Postby jw34 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:03 pm

This might sound silly but when practicing a standstill shot what is the best placement and technique to start? What feels natural to me is to place both feet together, shift to my left leg, pull back, stretch my right leg and plant, shift weight to my right leg/push off my left and start to pull. Does that make sense?
jw34
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:00 pm

Feet together.
Begin step to the right by lifting leg while pulling back.
Plant.

Snap.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby doublej » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:13 pm

I've been standing with my feet shoulder width apart, never moving them until the follow through when i lift my left foot off to allow for the pivot of my right foot. Have i been robbing myself of power/distance by not stepping into the throw?
doublej
Noob

Postby jw34 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:36 pm

I guess I should have said I lift my right leg and shift to the left leg as I start to pull, plant the right, shift weight and pull through. One thing I can see about practicing from a standstill is that there is little momentum to get weight over the right leg compared to what is generated in an X-step that not getting it out there is noticeable in the throw.
jw34
Noob

Postby geoloseth » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:43 pm

Make sure you're not pulling into your throw before your plant foot touches. The only forward movement of the disc in that instance should be the disc comming forward along with your entire body from shifting your weight and landing on your plant foot.

Shift wieght back/ reach back
Extend right leg
plant right foot
pull and snap

Watch the climo instructional video that's on you tube. He shows how to do the stand still.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jw34 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:04 pm

I searched for that video but had no luck. Is there a link floating around?
jw34
Noob

Postby geoloseth » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:44 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nv76JEe1qUo&feature=related

This should be the video. If not it's one of the other ones that will pop up related to it.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jw34 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:11 pm

Thanks!
jw34
Noob

Postby black udder » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:28 pm

If you're just starting stand still, I'd suggest doing just that. Stand still, shoulder or so width apart. Reach back and pivot the hips closed, pivot the hips to the open position (arms pulls automatically) and continue to pivot hips to the closed position. Pull through with the arm across the chest as close as you can for snap.

Once you are getting good level throws and reasonable distance, move to the one step mentioned above and see if that helps add a little more distance.

You should be able to hit 250' or better just standing still with a putter throwing with a high anhyzer release and letting the putter float down to flat. If it dives into the ground, check your form (or the disc for being too beat).

If the disc stalls and fades hard, then you're probably dealing with some nose up.

My preference is wizards for this practice.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby tushamajig13 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:06 am

black udder wrote:If you're just starting stand still, I'd suggest doing just that. Stand still, shoulder or so width apart. Reach back and pivot the hips closed, pivot the hips to the open position (arms pulls automatically) and continue to pivot hips to the closed position. Pull through with the arm across the chest as close as you can for snap.

technically, this is the standstill shot you are speaking of...what you are doing (see below) is a one-step. both are good to learn...just wanted to clear up some confusion

Bradley Walker wrote:Feet together.
Plant.

Snap.
tushamajig13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby garublador » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:06 pm

tushamajig13 wrote:
black udder wrote:If you're just starting stand still, I'd suggest doing just that. Stand still, shoulder or so width apart. Reach back and pivot the hips closed, pivot the hips to the open position (arms pulls automatically) and continue to pivot hips to the closed position. Pull through with the arm across the chest as close as you can for snap.

technically, this is the standstill shot you are speaking of...what you are doing (see below) is a one-step. both are good to learn...just wanted to clear up some confusion

Bradley Walker wrote:Feet together.
Plant.

Snap.
When talking with Blake about this (I think it's in a thread somewhere) he said that it's probably easiest to start with the one-step throw and a bit of a reachback to help learn the timing. After you have the feel of that timing it's good to do the zero step drill.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Eric O » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:22 pm

geoloseth wrote:http://youtube.com/watch?v=nv76JEe1qUo&feature=related

This should be the video. If not it's one of the other ones that will pop up related to it.
I just watched this clip. This is exactly how I was taught to do it by a friend of mine, back in the day when he couldn't watch me continue to get everything wrong without finally saying something. Kenny makes it look so smooth.

I use this method on the course when I don't need the extra D gained with an X-step.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby geoloseth » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:35 pm

Its very efficient and climo makes it look so easy. I'll use a slow short xstep for those kind of shots just to make sure I have my reach back and timing correct. The more you learn to extend the wrist the easier it is to slow down your pull through and just rely on your wrist to get it out to 150'+
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jw34 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:47 pm

It's interesting how this and that short Barry Schultz video are 2 of the best I've seen. I looked at this Climo video and had my "aha" moment about weight distribution.
jw34
Noob

Postby Blink » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:08 am

I just wonder how far I can throw like this and still be more consistent/accurate than with an xstep/sidestep.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Next

Return to Technique