Week 5 - 5/29 to 6/5: Knife Hyzers and Plane Preservation

Sets of drills targeted at developing a full skill sets of shots and mastery of flight characteristics. Players taking part are encouraged to post their experiences and feedback.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Week 5 - 5/29 to 6/5: Knife Hyzers and Plane Preservation

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:32 pm

Where to perform the drill: On the course and/or field
What you will need: Your normal bag of discs

Task:
Play 3+ rounds throwing a knife hyzer on every shot that isn't inside 40'.

Experiment with lines, throwing both high apex and low line drive steep hyzer angles as well as working straight on lines (with little left/right play) vs. wide lines pulled out to the right and faded back to the left.

Learn how to compensate for wind, fade amounts, etc. as well as observing how over/understable discs differ in their flight characteristics on these lines.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Knife Hyzer?

Postby S Brown » Thu May 04, 2006 11:54 am

Blake-

Can't wait to start w/ the first excercise. I am reasonably new to the game, and names for shots seem to differ from region to region. Please explain a knife hyzer.

Thanks,

SB

This is THE BEST F*&^#@ disc golf site going! Congrats and thanks!
S Brown
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 04, 2006 2:21 pm

a knife hyzer is a very steep angle hyzer (usually 60 degrees or more) that flies more like a lawn dart than a flying disc. basically it is a shot that is a somewhat symmetrical arc that crashes down with the disc at a very steep angle as well.

it is a fast flight and the disc doesn't really catch any air under it to glide, it just "knifes" through the air.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby lacrimosa » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:18 am

It's cool how you can throw a worked in dx eagle flat and low with like 50 degrees of hyzer yet keep the line very straight (while holding the hyzer angle). broken in rocs also work well for this for me.

wrist roll is a great thing when you can control it. I can get wizards through really low and sharp dog-legs just by snapping it hard with a lot of wrist roll.
lacrimosa
Noob

Postby Weebl » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:06 am

This helped imensely so far, and I still can't even throw a knife hyzer that travels in a (fairly) straight line, nor a low line knife hyzer. It's interested though, it's teaching me to throw comfortably with a LOT more hyzer than I was only 2 weeks ago, which is really handy to have on the course.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:11 am

Alright, line drive still isn't quite working well but I found something a bit different from previous posters. More understable discs like to travel their released angle, getting more R-L play that an overstable disc. I was able to get over a line of trees yesterday i couldn't even tomahawk over before; Probably 70' high.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Disc Golf Review Training Assignments