Just want to share.

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Just want to share.

Postby Amateur » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:57 pm

I was tired after 36 holes today so I took a nap. I had disc golf dreams. Does this happen to anybody else? Anywho I woke up and had to throw.

I went to a new course in Manito, IL (podunk village of round 3000 people). I get the local paper and and I find out they had a DG tournament!?! I didn't even know they had a course! It's right across the street from the high school.

I was on hole 9 when I see 3 young men playing on hole 3. I was bored as hell so I asked if I could join them, they were cool with that. As soon as I saw them I recognized 2 of their faces from the local paper. Cool, I'm throwing with the long drive (270ft) and long putt (40ft) champions. We finished the 9 and went to throw again.

Second time we played partners best lie. The two guys I saw in the paper teamed up and I threw with their buddy (Ian). I was having so much fun throwing with these young guys I didn't care how I threw. I showed Ian how to properly grip a forehand drive, and he began to outdistance all of us (I was exclusively throwing my X buzzz and holding way back). I was happy for him because it seemed that his buddies gave him shit for not being as good, when his form was as good if not better. Since he was my teammate and only had a Star Teerex (i told them all about plastic and speed ratings) I gave him my chalky S Wizard and he started to really throw great putts. I let him keep the disc, I hope he keeps throwing. I think we lost by one stroke, but I was just having fun throwing with these kids.

Even though my skills far outclassed them I don't think I've had so much fun DGing since I started. I hope to see them again at the course! I won't hold back next time!
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby zealot » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:00 pm

props on the disc gift. i had a similar gift when i started and it really shows how the community of dgers is... :D
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:32 pm

it always feels really good helping someone out, lately I have kept a trunk full of pond discs to give to kids and beginners on and around the course. I cant lie it feels good, but I do it for the game :roll:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby daevidcardiac » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:09 am

i also have disc golf dreams...more that have my favorite courses as settings than ones that are about throwing discs.

some of the wooded holes at jefferson barracks course(st. louis) are kinda surreal when youre in them, and make me feel like im in a dream. especially when im all turned around from searching for a lost disc.

and then there is the gateway store on hole nine, which is like a dream come true. :)
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby BHW » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:08 am

Good story.....every sport needs ambassadors. I too keep all my old discs...ones I no longer like, worn out, junk I've found on the course, etc. It's worthless to sell them to the "used sporting goods store", they don't give you much of anything for them. It's more rewarding to be able to replace a friends lost disc, or help out a newbie by gicing them a couple of good beginner discs. Every time we have a new guy come out and want to try the game, we'll hook them up with a shark, stingray, cobra, etc. Most of the time, these guys come back in a few weeks with a bag and 4 or 5 discs and become regulars.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:52 am

In my dreams, the disc always lands in the basket... If only I could do it when I play.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to General Discussion