2006 Worlds

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

2006 Worlds

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:50 pm

Some of you fubadubas probably know that I live in Augusta from reading my awesome course report ! That's also where teh World Champeenship is going to be in a week or so. I've got time off work to check out the proceedings. Who should I try to follow?
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Weebl » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:46 pm

2 Locals from Monterey, California are going. A few other chaps from Santa Cruz. If you want to learn accuracy follow Geoff and Johnny Lissman. Distance? Merle Witvoet, he throws further than anyone over 50 years of age. Rollers/trick shots? Dr. Stancil Johnson (PDGA # 009)

I would love to camp on a hole, personally, and watch everyone play it one group at a time; I wish I knew more about the national studs.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby CincyKeith » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:54 am

For the second round, I would follow the lead card. Definately catch the final 9.....it could get interesting. :) I wish I lived closer to big tournaments, to see some of the action. The best I've seen were the "Edgewood Electric" tournaments my father TD'd here in Cincy. I believe Brad Hammock says it was his most memorable moment.

The best of the best are going to be at the worlds, so soak in as much as you can!!!! Enjoy :lol:
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby the invisible tree » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:13 pm

How can I find out who is teeing off where?
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:03 am

If you want to see snap, go to the grandmaster's distance competition and see Merle throw... If the wind isn't a headwind or R-L crosswind, he'll be crushing out 400-550' tsunami bombs (wind pending)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby the invisible tree » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:27 pm

I've seen lots of pros out on the course the past few days. It's pretty cool although I do tend to find myself waiting for folks to look the other way before I throw more often than usual. Does anyone recognize this guy?
http://www.pdga.com/images/06proworlds/ ... _0172.html
He lost a disc in the pit of doom at Riverview.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kvanorsdel » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:50 pm

That is Terry Miller from Milwaukee Wisconsin. He posts on the madcitydisc.org forum as discglfr and the PDGA board as Terry D. Miller check the Great Lakes DGC affiliate section
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby presidio hills » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:33 pm

the pit of doom? :shock:
what's that like?
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby the invisible tree » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:59 pm

presidio hills wrote:the pit of doom? :shock:
what's that like?

It's pretty menacing. :lol: It's less of a pit than a really steep hill (around 65 degrees grade) that goes from the fairway on hole 2 to the Savannah River about 300+ yards down. It's usually covered with slick mud so if you do have to go down there looking for a disc you're probably going to bust your ass. Areas with unexposed mud are conveniently covered with thorns and other assorted vines. You'll probably run into a few spider webs while looking around for your disc and the mosquito population is quite high being right next to the river. If you're lucky the raw sewage smell that pervades hole 3 will waft over in your direction as well. I wish I could describe the true horror of this area of the course but the only way to understand is to actually see it. This area is quite easy to hit as one tees off from roughly 15 feet above the hole and towards this slope. It's a really tough hole for a 190 footer. The conditions I described above, while not as bad as this in all places, are why I'm not a big fan of Riverview. The shots themselves are quite interesting and fair but if you go off course you better have a machete.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby the invisible tree » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:09 pm

dola,

That guy that I asked about, Terry apparently, told me he would pay me in discs if I caddy for him. I haven't decided if I'll do it yet. Is there a going rate for caddy services? How much should I expect/ask for if I do take him up on the offer? Not to be too crass about it, but how good is he? Better than me obviously as he is playing worlds and I'd probably struggle in intermediate but if I caddy for someone I want to see some great play. :idea:
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kvanorsdel » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:38 pm

Terry is a pretty good guy. He is a big promoter of the sport and the WI State Coordinator. He has done a lot to spread DG in Eastern WI. HE runs a Disc promotion business and would probably be a good guy to hang around with for some of the behind the scenes kind of info.

Look him up on the PDGA site Terry T-Dogg Miller #10738
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby the invisible tree » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:34 pm

I ended up following the lead card for most of the time. Watching those guys throw was aWesome!!! Aside from all the amazing shots, the coolest thing I saw was Dave Feldberg clang a 25ft. birdie putt off the front of the basket. He sorta hung his head and watched as the disc started rolling back in his direction. At the very last second he realized that the disc was about to roll into his bag and incur a penalty so he sprinted the ten feet to his bag and other equipment and punted it out of the way. The disc continued to roll and he ended up with a 35 footer to save par which he made.
Also somewhat gratifying was watching the entire lead card tee off out of bounds on hole 2 at Lake Olmstead.
The most disappointing thing was having some guy named McCray miss the start time on the semifinal round costing himself a spot on the final card. He lucked out in that the round was delayed for some time in the middle of the 2nd hole so he only got penalized for those two holes. After the restart he outplayed the other guys on the card by a mile, hitting the basket on three separate drives and nailing some ridiculous putts. I think he could have beat Climo if he had made the final card. I wonder why the final round is only 9 holes? That was not much to my liking.
Watching this tournament has gotten me REALLY exicted about playing again. The combination of the recent heat wave and my reaching a plateau in my play had seen me not going out as much and my index finger callous is pretty much gone. I'm about to remedy that situation.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Rooster » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:06 pm

"the final 9"

it's sort of disc golf tradition lots of NT and A tiers have final 9's.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:52 pm

the final 9 is more of a showcase, often set out so that many of the other competitors can spectate without drawing too much from the other divisions.

the final 9 is generally a victory lap, as most of the time things have been dictated by the semis.

usually, there are 8 rounds of 18 + a final 9, but i believe this year it was 7 + a final. have to remember that this is very exhausting.

as for mccray missing the start, that sucks. crazy john brooks did that once and he was LEADING entering the semi's (round 8)... overslept and missed like 9 holes.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to General Discussion