Tuned disc legality for tournament use

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Should tuned discs be legal for tournament use?

Yes - they are legal
40
91%
No - they are illegal
4
9%
 
Total votes : 44

Tuned disc legality for tournament use

Postby geoloseth » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:38 pm

So I was hoping to play in an upcoming tourney this weekend (plans have since changed and I won't be able to make it................unless someone wants to sponsor me :wink: :D ) and I had a thought in my head about whether or not tuning discs was legal. So I posted the question on the PDGA discussion forum and got swamped with people from both sides.

Some arguments were saying "Absolutely NO" since rule 802.01c says Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics.

However other said it was perfectly fine because no weight was removed, no tool marks, the properties of the disc are the same, you can get the same results from improper storage over time, etc.

Anyway, one of the posters brought the question up to the PDGA Rules Committee for some sort of ruling. Here's what they said.
Dear Dan,

Thanks for writing!!!

I'd say so, but any disc's legality can be challenged by any competitor and the TD makes the final call.

Yours Sincerely;

Carlton Howard
PDGA Rules Committee Chairman

So now my question is to you all of the fine readers on this board (which is where I spend most of my time since I can't stand the bickering that goes on on the PDGA site). If you were a TD and someone brought up the topic of tuned discs what would you rule? Legal or Illegal?
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:27 am
Location: Texas

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:50 pm

I have not TD'ed in years, but if someone had complained to me about a tuned disc I would have called the guy in question over and asked to see his tuned disc. I would have then proceed to pretend to examine the tuned disc for 10 or 15 seconds, at the conclusion of which I would have whacked the complainant over the head with said disc and told him to quit wasting my time.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2529
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:41 am
Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:20 pm

Working Stiff wrote:I have not TD'ed in years, but if someone had complained to me about a tuned disc I would have called the guy in question over and asked to see his tuned disc. I would have then proceed to pretend to examine the tuned disc for 10 or 15 seconds, at the conclusion of which I would have whacked the complainant over the head with said disc and told him to quit wasting my time.


As a certified official, I agree with this ruling completely.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:01 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:26 pm

Working Stiff wrote:I have not TD'ed in years, but if someone had complained to me about a tuned disc I would have called the guy in question over and asked to see his tuned disc. I would have then proceed to pretend to examine the tuned disc for 10 or 15 seconds, at the conclusion of which I would have whacked the complainant over the head with said disc and told him to quit wasting my time.


What he said!
Image
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:39 pm
Location: Quad Cities
Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:24 am

I would say that the way that you and Bradley tune your discs there is no way that anyone would ever know what went on with the disc. No marks etc. I would say the disc should be fine to play.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:06 pm

Postby SkaBob » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:21 am

"So, his Wraith flies like a Teerex."

"Yes!"

"And this bothers you."

"YES!"

"And if he was mud stomping you with a Teerex instead of a Wraith, it wouldn't?"

"Well..."

"So, basically, what you're telling me here is that when it's obvious you can't win on skill you'll look for every opportunity, even being a whining, conniving little douche to try and keep your betters from beating you."

"..."

That's about how that conversation will go if I ever have to have it as a TD, but I'm slightly more caustic than most... :twisted:
SkaBob
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3493
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:51 am
Location: Detroit
Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Fritz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:02 am

I dont' like the idea of disc tuning. Just learn how to throw the damn disc or find a disc that does what you need it to do without having to post production modify it.
If you want your wraith to fly like a TeeRex, then buy a TeeRex for the shots you want TeeRex and use your Wraith for the shots you want it to fly like a Wraith.
What is the issue here?

I answered no, it shouldn't be legal because that was the question. I don't think it should be.

However I do have to agree it is legal because you could do the same thing to your disc by smacking a tree or a shed or hitting the cement really hard. So even if disc tuning was illegal, it wouldn't be hard to "tune" your disc and claim it smacked a tree.

As a TD I would examine the disc to make sure weight and surface treatments weren't added, if they weren't I'd say no problems here.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Bruce » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:12 am

Fritz wrote:I dont' like the idea of disc tuning. Just learn how to throw the damn disc or find a disc that does what you need it to do without having to post production modify it.
If you want your wraith to fly like a TeeRex, then buy a TeeRex for the shots you want TeeRex and use your Wraith for the shots you want it to fly like a Wraith.
What is the issue here?

I answered no, it shouldn't be legal because that was the question. I don't think it should be.

However I do have to agree it is legal because you could do the same thing to your disc by smacking a tree or a shed or hitting the cement really hard. So even if disc tuning was illegal, it wouldn't be hard to "tune" your disc and claim it smacked a tree.

As a TD I would examine the disc to make sure weight and surface treatments weren't added, if they weren't I'd say no problems here.


I haven't voted, because the answers don't match the question! :)

I actually have the opposite view to Fritz, I think it is currently (technically) illegal, but completely undetectable without resorting to the manufacturing specs and highly accurate measuring devices, and unenforceable because you cannot tell if any changes were made through tuning or through normal wear and tear.

I think it should be legal, as the same effect can be achieved by ageing, and the act of 'restoring' a disc such as de-tacoing it is widely accepted.

I take your point about a teerex/wraith, but the most common use of this technique is to either hasten the ageing process on a new disc, or to reverse ageing on an old disc, neither of which offers any competitive advantage.
Bruce
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:08 am
Location: London
Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Re: Tuned disc legality for tournament use

Postby garublador » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:15 am

geoloseth wrote:Dear Dan,

Thanks for writing!!!

I'd say so, but any disc's legality can be challenged by any competitor and the TD makes the final call.

Yours Sincerely;

Carlton Howard
PDGA Rules Committee Chairman
So the answer is, "The rules are insufficient and any TD can make bent discs illegal if they feel like it."

I'll agree that it should be perfectly legal. Saying it should be illegal is almost as silly as trying to bend your discs juuuust right so they fly slightly different than before. ;)
garublador
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:37 am
Location: Urbandale, IA

Postby Eric O » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:04 am

Fritz wrote:I dont' like the idea of disc tuning. Just learn how to throw the damn disc or find a disc that does what you need it to do without having to post production modify it.
I don't understand why you'd be opposed to it in such a general sense. Discs change in stability and flight to a degree as they impact and skid when thrown. Tuning a disc simply accelerates or reverses the process with a goal in mind, rather than letting the natural impact and wear be the only factors that dictate aging characteristics.

It won't make a sidewinder fly a firebird line, or vice versa, so why does it matter? I don't think it's even a question of learning how to throw the disc better or finding a different disc, as much as it is a matter of restoring some necessary stability to an old disc or accelerating the aging a little with a new one.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Postby Leopard » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:10 am

Fritz wrote:I dont' like the idea of disc tuning. Just learn how to throw the damn disc or find a disc that does what you need it to do without having to post production modify it.

what if you're sponsored by a manufacturer who doesn't have anything overstable?
;)
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer
User avatar
 
Posts: 4461
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: 30 miles x 100 miles x stinking island
Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:17 am

ZAMson wrote:
Fritz wrote:I dont' like the idea of disc tuning. Just learn how to throw the damn disc or find a disc that does what you need it to do without having to post production modify it.

what if you're sponsored by a manufacturer who doesn't have anything overstable?
;)


I resemble that remark!! :lol:
Image
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:39 pm
Location: Quad Cities
Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby Fritz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:18 am

ZAMson wrote:
Fritz wrote:I dont' like the idea of disc tuning. Just learn how to throw the damn disc or find a disc that does what you need it to do without having to post production modify it.

what if you're sponsored by a manufacturer who doesn't have anything overstable?
;)


I make due lol, amazing what hyzer + QOLF heavy will do, that and I'm really getting creative with the EXP-1. Technically I could get myself a Monster or Firebird but meh no need to really...I'm doing fine with my current bag set up.

Hurry up already with the "Orion LF-X" or whatever and the JLF darn it! :)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:50 pm

Eric O wrote:
Fritz wrote:I dont' like the idea of disc tuning. Just learn how to throw the damn disc or find a disc that does what you need it to do without having to post production modify it.
I don't understand why you'd be opposed to it in such a general sense. Discs change in stability and flight to a degree as they impact and skid when thrown. Tuning a disc simply accelerates or reverses the process with a goal in mind, rather than letting the natural impact and wear be the only factors that dictate aging characteristics.

It won't make a sidewinder fly a firebird line, or vice versa, so why does it matter? I don't think it's even a question of learning how to throw the disc better or finding a different disc, as much as it is a matter of restoring some necessary stability to an old disc or accelerating the aging a little with a new one.
My basic "who cares?" philosophy is that I don't care if you DO tune a Sidewinder to fly on a Firebird line, you still had to execute the shot. Right? So why does it matter if you executed the shot with a Firebird or a tuned Sidewinder? Whichever one you used, it didn't jump out of the bag and throw itself under the basket. If it conforms to Tech specs, it's all good.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2529
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:41 am
Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby GorillaTactics » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:46 am

Working Stiff wrote:I have not TD'ed in years, but if someone had complained to me about a tuned disc I would have called the guy in question over and asked to see his tuned disc. I would have then proceed to pretend to examine the tuned disc for 10 or 15 seconds, at the conclusion of which I would have whacked the complainant over the head with said disc and told him to quit wasting my time.


literal LOL.

I have to agree...I have limited experience with tuning discs, but certainly it isn't an unfair competetive advantage to bend your plastic until it flies differently...if you can figure it out, more power to ya. But it's mostly the player that makes the good shot happen, not the disc. Without the thrower putting it on the right line, it won't do you a damn bit of good no matter how well it's tuned.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: SLC
Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Next

Return to Rules Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest