Videos of my form

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Videos of my form

Postby pg043 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:54 am

Hey everyone --

Recently filmed myself driving and making some midrange approach shots so I could tweak my form. I'd love to get everyone's feedback, particularly on my approach shots, which is the weakest part of my game.

Flat backhand drives:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv-wPb3PwYI

Anhyzer backhand shots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3waleR1fkg&feature=user

Approach shots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NVzPokrnzo&feature=user

Thanks in advance!
pg043
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:18 am

I like it. What kind of D are you getting on golf and max D lines?
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby pg043 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:31 am

golf lines 380-415, max d lines i cap out at about 450.

This isn't the first time I've filmed myself driving, but after looking at these clips I realize that my stroke is pretty good. To max out my D from here, I think it's a matter of little details and just increasing arm speed.
pg043
Tree Magnet

Postby pg043 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:35 am

And I just realized after clicking your youtube link that you're the guy who already commented on my video :D That video of your home course in tally is sick. I am going to be in Destin for about a week starting saturday...don't know if I'm going to make it over to tally, but if I do I'd love to throw a round or two there if I do.
pg043
Tree Magnet

Re: Videos of my form

Postby garublador » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:51 am

pg043 wrote:I'd love to get everyone's feedback, particularly on my approach shots, which is the weakest part of my game.
What problems are you having with approach shots and at what distances?
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:01 pm

oh hells yeah. Definitely let me know.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby black udder » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:41 pm

Considering your distance, I'd say it's just a matter of tweaking to get closer to your max more often than not.

Observations - the hop and the arm movements increase the chances that you will miss a line or throw nose up or something. Reducing your movements would help with consistency.

Same thing with the hop. While I'm sure it's comfortable, you might benefit in consistency with an x-step that keeps your feet more grounded.

With your distance, you wouldn't need to do either, but I do believe it would help with any inconsistency (if there even is much).

good throws.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Steady 26542 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:24 pm

I love your throws. I'd give anything to throw like you do. The best part of my game is my approaches. I'm no pro, but I think I lead more with my elbow. What do the rest of you guys think?? I noticed his approaches seemed to go to the right. Like he's spinning around the shot instead of going through it. Anyway, I hit my line consistantly when I lead with my elbow.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby roman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:38 pm

A buddy recently pointed out to me that I'm not using my hips at all on my drives. Sure enough, after he taped a few of my drives I noticed that it's mostly my upper body making the throw happen and my hips are just along for the ride. I don't know how I break 400 with that form.

Anyway I just recently went back to step one, took out a bunch of putters and began practicing standing drives with my hips leading and the rest of my body following. It helped a lot and feels very good on the pull through.

I noticed that your form is somewhat similar to mine with your hips following your upper body. That's one thing I would work on if you feel like working on something. Most people don't complain when they throw over 400.

By the way, this works wonders on approach shots too. I'm usually pretty decent with approaches, but when you're standing still, rotate your hips back then forward while your body is still facing off to the side, the hips begin to pull your body into the rotation and everything comes out much more clean.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby pg043 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:57 pm

Steady 26542 wrote: I noticed his approaches seemed to go to the right. Like he's spinning around the shot instead of going through it

I think that is definitely the problem. I tend to have a problem with gauging distance on a midrange approach--I'm either too short or blazing past it. I try to compensate by throwing more of a hyzer line, but I'd like to have a nice smooth straight floaty shot that will just land where I want it to :>
pg043
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:26 am

With the flat shots the plant was in a position appropriate for an anhyzer. The disc flew flat which means somewhere a compensation happened. That means mass away from the center of gravity and slower pivot. didn't try to track where the compensation(s) occurred. Up a long time after a poorly slept night. And half the night at work.

Left leg slipped on the grass. I got advice to check out shoes made for orienteers. They are stiffened against twisting the ankles to more directions than most if not all shoes. They may last better than other shoes. They have perhaps too large nubs on the soles but they can be made smaller.

For smaller nubs without modding soccer shoes meant for artificial grass fields seemed to have suitable nubs if the ones in the ankles are toned down. I imagine that they are dangerous for stopping pivoting and twisting ankles. No experience. The shop didn't carry my size.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique