Do disc golfers have caddies?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Do disc golfers have caddies?

Postby Momac » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:37 pm

i'm going to my first tourny next month and my friend offered to caddie for me... would that be acceptable?

and also, can someone explain in detail how to use a mini?

thanks.
Momac
Noob

Postby zealot » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:41 pm

i think he should caddie for you XD serious do it!
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Rooster » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:08 am

i have seen caddies for most pros at tourneys but if this is your first tourney i assume your playing am3. no one in am3 has a caddie. at least here no one does. but i can imagine that being pretty sweet.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Do disc golfers have caddies?

Postby CincyKeith » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:22 am

Momac wrote:i'm going to my first tourny next month and my friend offered to caddie for me... would that be acceptable?

and also, can someone explain in detail how to use a mini?

thanks.

I think it's a great idea to have a caddy, as long as you follow a few simple rules. I've "BOLDED" a few important parts.

Here is the rules according to the PDGA reguarding courtesy.....make sure you AND your caddy follow these rules:

801.01 Courtesy
A. Players should not throw until they are certain that the thrown disc will not distract another player or potentially injure anyone present. Players should watch the other members of their group throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure compliance with the rules.

B. Players should take care not to produce any distracting noises or any potential visual distractions for other players who are throwing. Examples of discourteous actions are: shouting, cursing, freestyling, slapping course equipment, throwing out of turn, throwing or kicking golf bags, throwing minis, and advancing on the fairway beyond the away player. Shouting at an appropriate time to warn someone in danger of being struck by a disc is not a violation of courtesy.

C. Refusal to perform an action expected by the rules, such as assisting in the search for a lost disc, moving discs or equipment, or keeping score properly, etc., is a courtesy violation.

D. Players are responsible for the actions of their caddies. Players shall receive warnings and penalties (where applicable) for the actions of their caddies.

E. Littering is a courtesy violation.

F. Courtesy dictates that players who smoke should not allow their smoke to disturb other players. Smokers should extinguish their cigarettes and carry their cigarette butts to a trash can. Disposing of cigarette butts by dropping them on the ground is littering.

G. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official, with all players of the group advised of the warning. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with section 804.05.

Stay out of visual sight while someone is putting is one of the most common courtesy violations, IMHO.

Using a mini is pretty simple. You have the CHOICE to use a mini to mark the spot your disc landed, by placing it directly in front of your lie. You could choose to leave the disc in play, and throw from directly behind it, as if you would have a mini on the ground. Even when you are directly beneath the basket, I would recomend using a mini to mark your disc....even though it is a gimme putt.

AMS may be a little more lenient on the rules, but I try to follow all rules within the PDGA rulebook, reguardless of what division I play. Here is a link to it:
http://www.pdga.com/rules/index.php

Also, at some point in the round, you may be required to carry the scorecard, in which case YOU should take scores as appropiately defined in the rulebook, rather than your caddy doing so.

Have fun!!!! And try not to break any rules 8)
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:55 am

I like the caddy idea and will share the following story.

Years ago (2000 or so), a friend and I drove to corpus for some business, and I expressed interest in getting by the local course to play. He was an older man that could not play due to health problems, but he asked if he could caddy. At first, it seemed ackward to me, but I did not want to leave him out since he had expressed an interest in joining me.

We had a great time, and even though he never got to throw a disc, he got to where he knew what disc should be thrown for which shot. He even had names for my discs; for example, my elite z xs was referred to "Ole Blue" due to coloration.

I don't know what was more fun: playing or his reaction to some of my shots. Even though he passed away three years ago, the fond memories remain. I'll see if I can find some pictures of us or at least of him being a caddy.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby redspexxx » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:34 am

i've seen a couple of people at tournys with their wives or kids as caddys. i guess its a good way to get the whole family in if they dont like playing
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby nick predki » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:58 pm

To use a mini you place the mini directly in front of the driver, mid-range or putter and put the disc back in your bag and take your throw behind the mini.
nick predki
Noob

Postby Tanner » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:10 pm

"Seven iron, huh? Well, you're fired."

When I hear the word caddy, that's what I think.
-Tanner
Tanner
Noob

Postby steezo » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:27 pm

here is the link to the marker rule http://pdga.com/rules/index.php The rest of the rules can be found here as well.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Re: Do disc golfers have caddies?

Postby Momac » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:55 pm

Awesome info thanks guys. looks like i will bring my friend with after all.
Momac
Noob

Postby Frontman311 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:19 pm

My sister was kind enough to caddy for me @ my last tournament. It totally threw me off-sync and broke my routines, which was a bad experience. The only good thing she did was remind me to aim when putting, 'cause I often forget to focus on one point which does help me.

Obviously I am greatful for her help, but in the future I will just buy a stool and carry my own damm bag.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:40 pm

i've had a caddie for several tournaments and i can say it was a huge boost just due to fatigue, and the few times i forgot my stool on the last hole and he ran to get it.

i've also had numerous requests to caddie for others.

i'm able to gauge distances within 5% for lengths under 400' and within 10% over 400'. i can also gauge wind speed and direction within 2 mph.

the additional factor is seeing lines and danger spots that most people miss, or even just how to "beat" the hole. other things i have down are being able to know how far a disc should go given the available lines, throwing power of the player, etc.

i would say overall that about 80% of disc golfers exercise extremely poor disc and shot selection. for those 80%, a well-educated caddie would benefit them greatly. there are about 20% of players that would benefit from a caddie as more of a pack mule.

if having a caddie psyches you out, the problem is in your head.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby cschwab » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:50 pm

Blake_T wrote:i would say overall that about 80% of disc golfers exercise extremely poor disc and shot selection. for those 80%, a well-educated caddie would benefit them greatly. there are about 20% of players that would benefit from a caddie as more of a pack mule.

Interesting, I've never thought of those being potential advantages of having a caddy.

Do you have any suggestsions for those 80% on how to become better at disc and shot selection?
cschwab
Noob

Return to General Discussion