6-10
19%
10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock
7%
all the pink ones I can find :)
12%

Total votes : 69

Postby Working Stiff » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:08 pm

Man, I'm jealous. I had a dozen of those...I must have given 'em all away. All this Comet talk has me sentimental to take some out to throw, but I can only find one.

Oh, I just remembered! I DO have another Comet...a nice tasty 1st Run Glow Comet! :D Now I feel better. Of course, it's unthrown. How much of a putz would I be to throw a 1st Run Glow Comet just for grins and giggles? I don't feel so good any more. :?
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby DPJ88 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:59 pm

do they hold up decently well? it is old. still very domey and does not appear to really be warped- but it has seen some use for sure. held nice anny line like previously mentioned- seemed to level out after the turn, didn't get the full flight because it was an uphill anny-shot, so right when it landed is right where I needed it to land.
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:38 am

It holds up OK, but Tournament AKA Cyclone plastic was a little different...where the standard Competition plastic would scuff and scrape from an impact, a lot of times Cyclone plastic would take a hard tree whack and look like nothing happened. But looks would deceive. The discs were somewhat more durable than base plastic but they would beat flippy while still on the outside appearing to be in really good condition. I've got old Cyclone plastic discs that appear to be a 6 or 7 on the Sleepy scale, but they fly like a 4 or 3. So you really have to go by how it flies...if it looks good but flies like a beat POS, it's a beat POS.

Toward the end the stuff got stickier and had "Cyclone dust," which was a lot of chalky looking resin all over the disc. Even when wet, the stuff had fantastic grip. Right now the closest thing to it is X if you want to replace it.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby dgdave » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:51 am

I hear ya about the looks of tourney plastic. I found an awesome condition Cyclone at PIAS and when I went to throw it, it flipped over faster than (insert your favorite joke here)
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby SkaBob » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:11 am

Working Stiff wrote:Man, I'm jealous. I had a dozen of those...I must have given 'em all away. All this Comet talk has me sentimental to take some out to throw, but I can only find one.

Oh, I just remembered! I DO have another Comet...a nice tasty 1st Run Glow Comet! :D Now I feel better. Of course, it's unthrown. How much of a putz would I be to throw a 1st Run Glow Comet just for grins and giggles? I don't feel so good any more. :?

1. I know people I can pick up those Comets from for $10-15...

2. Uh...so...what do you want for that Glow Comet?
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby marmoset » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:50 pm

sleepy wrote:I'm not saying I'm ditching my Rocs just yet, but the throwing the Comet was a definite eye-opener.
sleepy

DPJ88 wrote:I am a Z wasp thrower

I easily find a spot in my bag for both the Roc/Wasp and the Comet. My Wasps get thrown quite a bit every round but the Comet is definitely my goto.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby gremlin75 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:00 pm

SkaBob wrote:1. I know people I can pick up those Comets from for $10-15...

2. Uh...so...what do you want for that Glow Comet?

1. Mark Ellis had an ass load of them as well whan I was at his house for the putting clinic (all were max weight). Thats where I got that one at......I still havent thrown it though

2. I was thinking the same thing :lol: I dont play glow though so let me know how it is when you get it
gremlin75
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:58 am

What other midranges do you guys use to compliment your Comets?
I have several Wasps in different plastics for when I need a hard flare at the end of the flight or in winds more than 10 mph. I am also experimenting with Rocs to see the similarities/differences with the Wasp.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby kmanoni » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:45 am

i just got an X Comet.
I currently have a Z Glide.

how do these 2 discs compare.

i havent thrown the comet yet. hoping to get to a field this week.
kmanoni
Noob

Postby SkaBob » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:46 am

I compliment my Comets with Buzzzes and a Wasp for varying degrees of windy.

The Glide turns like a Comet, but has much more low-speed stability than a Comet. If you turn a Glide over, it'll fade back. If you turn a Comet over it's staying turned (or if it's brand spanking new at best fading to straight and still carrying to the right)
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby gremlin75 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:49 am

marmoset wrote:What other midranges do you guys use to compliment your Comets?

I use D and an ESP wasp's along with my Comets.

I Use the D when I need to use more power then the comet with handle (and I like D wasps more then any buzzz)

I use the ESP when I need to throw into wind
gremlin75
Tree Magnet

Postby DPJ88 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:05 am

My Z-Wasps are my go to midranges.

I throw a 170 for very straight lazers with little fade and a 175 for more of a cutback (the 175 transparent yellow is noticably more overstable toward the end of its flight than the 170 pearl pink)

then for hyzer-flips and annies I throw a ESP comet.

my tourney plastic comet took a tree hit and split right in the middle of the dome. old disc, but it was enough to convince me that the Comet was the right disc to complement my Wasps
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby marmoset » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:24 am

Does anyone skip the Roc/Wasp/Element X (slightly overstables) and compliment with a Gator/Drone/Pig/Zone (more overstable)? It sounds like most of us are using a slightly overstable...
I have some D and FLX Drones and I can get the same amount of hyzer out of my new heavy Z Wasp through careful manipulation.
I feel like I have everything covered with the Comet/Wasp combo but I wanted to hear others' opinions, too. Particularly those who use Comets and Buzzzes and when they use which.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby black udder » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:03 pm

I've picked up my Comet again and find myself using more than my buzz or wasp because I find it has more glide. I know somebody who throws a buzz for a ton of shots and if he needs more fade, he just puts more hyzer on his buzz.

I'm starting to believe that a disc like the Drone is really only useful for those folks throwing 450'+ and want a midrange that they can throw and won't just flip. I suspect a wasp or buzz might flip if somebody with that kind of power wanted to chuck it. Either that or it would just take all the fade out of it.

I am finding that the Comet needs a good bit of snap but not a lot of arm strength. Real sensitive to form.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby SkaBob » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:18 pm

black udder wrote:I am finding that the Comet needs a good bit of snap but not a lot of arm strength. Real sensitive to form.

QFT

I throw my buzzzes when I need something to fade, or I'm throwing into a wind the Comet won't handle. I only carry a wasp because I was playing a tournament earlier in the summer (the one with the explodey trees) and the buzzz just couldn't hold up to the winds that day (35mph). I figure I'll throw the wasp more in the winter than the summer, but I mostly throw it for the same things I'd throw the buzzz on a hyzer for.

When I find myself really pulling out the buzzz or wasp is when I need a particular line shaped. Either a big hyzer with no skip (wasp) or a long anny that fades back (buzzz). For everything else I throw the Comet. Straight shots, flips, hyzers, annies and turnovers.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment