need guidance

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

need guidance

Postby supafly » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:09 am

hey guys. finally got a video camera and was able to get these over the weekend. I'm glad I did, I already see a few things. In fact, I didn't realize I was hopping at the end. Anyways, I've slown them down as well, I guess to play with the movie maker program. I'll appreciate any responses!

edit:
not sure why I didn't include the regular speed versions.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ggxeygdpcy1

(backhands both views)
http://www.mediafire.com/?zdzm7mysyfu
http://www.mediafire.com/?sj9wmsyxm7j

(sidearm)
http://www.mediafire.com/?1bx5semidoo

I seriously can't believe how goofy I look! ha!
supafly
Noob

Postby Beetard » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:12 pm

Sorry you haven't gotten any responses. Mediafire is a pain in the ass because you have to download the vids. Can you put it somewhere where it's just streaming video like photobucket or youtube?

Get the disc out in front of your hand when you release. See

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/St ... 84d01a.pbr

and

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1604&hl=en
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:24 am

Hosting videos on YouTube is quite easy these days. You'll get a long stream of feedback if you put them up there.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Re: need guidance

Postby JR » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:35 pm

Welcome to the forums. Sorry that it took a while to get responses. Work and getting back to a course after a pause in the short summer...

Orc325: that was an anhyzer approach throw. You kept your eyes on the target and didn't turn away from the target with the hips and shoulders because the left leg was only 100 degrees to the left of the target.

The steps from right rear corner of the tee with the plant being to the left of the left leg by that much tilts your whole body clockwise for instaanhyzer.

You start pulling your arm forward quickly from the reach back losing snap. For that distance a Teebird or some other slower drivers work better than an Orc. Did that Orc flex out for an s-curve with more distance than the straight then left fade hook in the end of a normal 325' Orc throw with less than pro level snap?

When the disc left your hand your waist wasn't bent forward enough to have the heart over the right knee.

TB was anhyzered in the reach back changing to a hyzer in the arm pull. Try to keep the angle the same that you intend to use the whole time. Steps were for a hyzer.

That sidearm throw really showed how you threw nose high in these videos. A straight plant step knee will do that to you. Fencers are too far down for a healthy for the knee pivot. You were at the opposite end.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby supafly » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:00 pm

thanks for the responses. I knew I had a lot to work on, and some of it can be a bit overwhelming. anywho's, to answer your question JR:

actually both of those throws I slightly turned over each disc. the orc is a 175 (a bit worn) and the teebird is also a 15 (again, worn).

the teebird didn't turn over as much, turned over slightly, centered out, and had it's predictable fade to the left. The orc on the other hand did turn over a bit more, levelled out, and then faded left. It was an s-curve, just not a real big one.

I really appreciate the responses. I'll have some new videos this weekend if I can fix a few areas consistently and I'll post them to a youtube account when I get a chance.
supafly
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:29 pm

supafly wrote:thanks for the responses. I knew I had a lot to work on, and some of it can be a bit overwhelming. anywho's, to answer your question JR:

actually both of those throws I slightly turned over each disc. the orc is a 175 (a bit worn) and the teebird is also a 15 (again, worn).

the teebird didn't turn over as much, turned over slightly, centered out, and had it's predictable fade to the left. The orc on the other hand did turn over a bit more, levelled out, and then faded left. It was an s-curve, just not a real big one.

I really appreciate the responses. I'll have some new videos this weekend if I can fix a few areas consistently and I'll post them to a youtube account when I get a chance.

It'd be helpful if the videos could include the flight of the disc too. Good luck with the practice that's bound to happen! There are a lot of things in my suggestions that usually take a lot of time to incorporate. Usually working on just one at a time is the fastest way to learn.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby black udder » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:53 pm

okay - from what I can tell...

Looks like you have a fairly nose down throw, which is good.

You might be getting some off axis torque in there though.

The disc is way too far away from your chest. When you reach back, you reach back with a bent elbow pointing the disc behind you. When you pull through, you pull through in an arc instead of straight back to front.

What's causing it is when you pivot, you keep your arm, torso and hips all locked together, so the disc comes through at the same time as everything else. The hop at the end just slows down your acceleration.

You need to start the pivot with your hips and have it drive your torso around. Leave the arm in the reach back and let it get pulled automatically by your torso as it rotates. By the time your hips have pivoted from back to front, your torso will pivot and the disc should then be around the center of your chest. At that point, just pull as fast as you can (and keep the disc as close to your chest as you can) until you're past the finish.

You may have to reduce your torso rotation so you don't over rotate and end up getting a late rip. As your arm speed increases, you can increase your torso rotation for additional power.

You can do that all from a stand still throw as well.

The x-step doesn't appear to be adding much to your power at all.

You have to imagine that your arm is a whip and the disc is the 9 tails at the end. When you bring the disc across your chest from the reach back, it has to unroll all the way down your arm until your wrist flicks open. You will have to curl your wrist in to keep the disc against your arm as long as possible.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Return to Video Critique