The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby valem » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:54 am

I just wanted to take the time and tell all of you that for being a Noob to disc golf there is no better place to get great info than this forum...thanks!!

My discs: (not all are in my bag)

1. Valkyrie champ (160)
2. Orc champ (167)
3. Leopard DX (160)
4. Cheetah DX (167)
5. Shark DX (160)
6. Panther champ (160)
7. Stingray DX (167)
8. Wolf DX (170)
9. Aviar P&A (175,175,150)


Not in my bag:
Orc champ (I'm going to take the minimalism into account)
Cheetah DX (was until I did some serious damage to it on jagged cart path)
Panther Champ
P&A 175,175

Luckily I have a wife that gets certain Innova discs for 1/2 price, so that is why I have some of these molds. :)

I'm thinking of adding a DX Valk to go with my champ Valk

Is there anything else I should take out due to overlapping? Adding some Roc's to the mix and pulling something else out?

Thanks
valem
Noob
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Wickham Park, Manchester

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:03 am

valem wrote:I just wanted to take the time and tell all of you that for being a Noob to disc golf there is no better place to get great info than this forum...thanks!!

My discs: (not all are in my bag)

1. Valkyrie champ (160)
2. Orc champ (167)
3. Leopard DX (160)
4. Cheetah DX (167)
5. Shark DX (160)
6. Panther champ (160)
7. Stingray DX (167)
8. Wolf DX (170)
9. Aviar P&A (175,175,150)


Not in my bag:
Orc champ (I'm going to take the minimalism into account)
Cheetah DX (was until I did some serious damage to it on jagged cart path)
Panther Champ
P&A 175,175

Luckily I have a wife that gets certain Innova discs for 1/2 price, so that is why I have some of these molds. :)

I'm thinking of adding a DX Valk to go with my champ Valk

Is there anything else I should take out due to overlapping? Adding some Roc's to the mix and pulling something else out?

Thanks


As far as overlap is concerned, it's all completely subjective. Completely. I can match my low score almost anywhere with just a Teebird and Wizard, but I normally carry a bag with 12 discs in it. No reason other than I like to throw different molds because it's fun. Throw as few or as many as you require, and neither more nor less. :D
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:14 am

Postby valem » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:40 pm

After some thought I'm going to go with this setup


2x Valkyrie Dx (167, 168) I'm pulling the champ Valk til I can really throw the Dx's
2x Leopard DX (160, 169)
2x Sharks DX (171, 175)
1 Panther Champ (160)
3x Aviar P&A (160,175,175)

Thinking of adding a Teebird DX

Ready to put in the bag given recommendations from you all:

Orc Champ (160)
Valk Champ (160)
Wolf DX (171)
Stingray DX (170)

I'm trying to get a roller down so I'm thinking of carrying the Stingray for those duties. How about tomahawks...Teebird??


Any feedback would be great..thanks
valem
Noob
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Wickham Park, Manchester

Postby adidadg » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:52 pm

valem wrote:After some thought I'm going to go with this setup


2x Valkyrie Dx (167, 168) I'm pulling the champ Valk til I can really throw the Dx's
2x Leopard DX (160, 169)
2x Sharks DX (171, 175)
1 Panther Champ (160)
3x Aviar P&A (160,175,175)

Thinking of adding a Teebird DX

Ready to put in the bag given recommendations from you all:

Orc Champ (160)
Valk Champ (160)
Wolf DX (171)
Stingray DX (170)

I'm trying to get a roller down so I'm thinking of carrying the Stingray for those duties. How about tomahawks...Teebird??


Any feedback would be great..thanks


Nice setup...of these the champion Orc would be the best Tomahawk disc.
adidadg
 

Postby valem » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:54 pm

Since the Orc is more on the stable to overstable side right?
valem
Noob
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Wickham Park, Manchester

Postby GorillaTactics » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:47 pm

exactly. Bag looks good.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: SLC
Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Re: The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

Postby Bangrrr Bob » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:12 am

I can't begin to say how much frustration and money reading this forum could have saved me in the last 2 years!!!! I got into the whole one company mindset and it had me way messed up for quite a while...all innova, all discraft, all gateway, all dga, back to discraft and on and on. Why? I had a top pro look and me and tell me I was crazy. He said I should pick the molds I liked the best from each manufacturer and throw em. So I started mixing my bag and cutting down on the number of molds. Wow! It works. Now I've had to spend some time learning or relearning molds, but I am finally starting to play better again and my back isn't sore from toting a HUGE bag crammed full of plastic I don't throw. I mean Millennium PRINTS it on their discs. Play Smart. Keep It Simple............
Focus, Meteor, Buzzz, Stalker, Nuke, Pred....
Bangrrr Bob
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:24 pm
Favorite Disc: Soft Focus

Re: The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

Postby Triplebogey » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Would throwing a Champ Starfire, Pro Starfire and Star SL be considered one mold??
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Barbara Co.,Ca
Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Re: The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

Postby Blink » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:31 pm

pretty sure the Pro Starfire and SL are the same disc. So 2 molds.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:06 am
Location: Arlington, TX
Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Re: The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

Postby Fritz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:34 pm

Triplebogey wrote:Would throwing a Champ Starfire, Pro Starfire and Star SL be considered one mold??


2 Molds in my opinion - Champ is definitely more overstable then the others. The Pro Starfire and SL are practically the same disc, just different plastic.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Re: The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

Postby Triplebogey » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:58 pm

Fritz wrote:
Triplebogey wrote:Would throwing a Champ Starfire, Pro Starfire and Star SL be considered one mold??


2 Molds in my opinion - Champ is definitely more overstable then the others. The Pro Starfire and SL are practically the same disc, just different plastic.


It's my understanding that the Starfire and SL share the same top half of the mold, but the Pro Starfire/SL uses the new mold Beast bottom. Since they're both speed 10 discs, they feel the same in the hand.

My Pro Starfire is at max weight, and tuned overstable, it flies halfway between my Star Sl (165gr) and Champ Starfire (175gr). These 3 discs seem to represent a spectrum, intead of a distinct line between the 3 discs.
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Santa Barbara Co.,Ca
Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Re: The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

Postby garublador » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:09 pm

Definitely two molds.
garublador
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:37 am
Location: Urbandale, IA

Re: The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:14 pm

Yeah...isn't the SL a starfire with a leopard bottom...?!?!?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 7:34 pm
Location: CT
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:41 pm

disc_golfing_fool wrote:Yeah...isn't the SL a starfire with a leopard bottom...?!?!?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

nope, none of the L molds actually have a leopard bottom
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

Postby reallybadputter » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:44 pm

What about the ultra-rare LL the Leopard with a Leopard bottom? :wink:
99% of the putts that you leave short never go in.
The other 1% never had a chance.
reallybadputter
Noob
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:55 pm
Location: VA

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests