A couple new vids

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

A couple new vids

Postby dgdave » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:04 am

I tweeked my throw a bit. I have played 1 full round in the last month or so. I'm a bit rusty but not as bad off as I thought I'd be.
Anyone notice anything I'm doin? Besides hitting a limb in the second one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWTmICYRDZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7mhLaZCeLM
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby readysetstab » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:45 am

i couldn't find any of your old vids to compare.

off the top of my head, it looks simpler than your old throw. looks a lot like mine now actually. you must be really good. :wink:
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Postby masterbeato » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:17 pm

You got nice touch.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby JR » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:16 am

What do you achieve with dipping the disc down in the reach back? Your arm moves so fast in the drive in the first video that I can't tell how you wrist extension works. Without slo mo. Fast fast fast!!! On the second video the view of the Brinster grip is nice.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dgdave » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:35 am

I don' really know what that dip is about. I learned it about 7-8 years ago when I went to a few Stokley Clinics. He was talking about starting low and finishing high. Its a lot more tame than it used to be. I finish much more flat than I used to. I've tried pulling back higher, kinda like Avery Jenkins, on MANY occasions, but have had no luck.

That drive came out early. It was the first throw with a disc thats wider rimmed than a Teebird in a while. It was a Flash. The next throw, which didn't get filmed :evil: , was a really good shot. It clicked. It was a Tsunami that flew out of my hand. Went straight about 400 before hitting a tree line.
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby black udder » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:03 pm

Could be wrong, but it looks like you only minimally use your hips for power. Great upper body movement and good snap and speed. I imagine the x step doesn't add a lot of distance.

Looks smooth though.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby C. B. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Looks good.
Looks familiar. The course anyway.
I try to get out to dolese a few times a week on my lunch break.

Did you reach the pin on #10 in the first video?
C. B.
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby dgdave » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:59 pm

CB-
It is Dolese. I was about 15-20 past and 30 or so left

Udder-
I dont get a lot of hip power. I've tried the more of a very shallow X step like Jenkins and Feldberg have been talking about. It used to be a lot more exaggerated, like Schultz and Stokley.
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby gretagun » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:12 pm

I probably shouldn't be one to comment on videos yet, but I really like the second video. I think for people trying to conceptualize pulling across the chest should watch that video. The disc looks like it is about as close to the right pec one could get without hitting themselves.
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby black udder » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:16 pm

dgdave wrote:CB-

Udder-
I dont get a lot of hip power. I've tried the more of a very shallow X step like Jenkins and Feldberg have been talking about. It used to be a lot more exaggerated, like Schultz and Stokley.

So if you're not using a lot of hip power, then all your distance has to be from the waist up - at which point, how is Feldberg getting all that distance? What are they doing that you or Aaron aren't? Curious to know what you've heard.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby dgdave » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:33 pm

black udder wrote:

Udder-

So if you're not using a lot of hip power, then all your distance has to be from the waist up - at which point, how is Feldberg getting all that distance? What are they doing that you or Aaron aren't? Curious to know what you've heard.

Its more of a push and acceleration. I use my legs for a weight transfer then accelerating the pull. The biggest thing is if I get good wrist extension.
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby black udder » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:27 pm

dgdave wrote:
black udder wrote:

Udder-

Its more of a push and acceleration. I use my legs for a weight transfer then accelerating the pull. The biggest thing is if I get good wrist extension.

So how are you accelerating a spin if not by rotating the hips? Bradley has talked a lot about the wrist extension idea, so that's familiar. Watching MB's throw you can see that he appears to just rotate and rip. When the disc is gone, he's basically just standing on the tee and then walks off. However, when I (and others) finish, they're jetted off the tee with momentum.

Curious if this is sort of an alternate method or a matter of one working, but the other being "preferred" or correct form. Hard to argue if folks like Avery, Steve & Dave are getting such spectacular results though.

Reason I ask is because since I have replaced hips, the muscles aren't the same, so I get a little pain using lots of hip rotation/power. If I could maintain the distance I have or gain a little extra another way, I'm kinda looking to explore it :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby dgdave » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:14 pm

I use a lot more push to transfer wieght, lead strong with my elbow, and get a lot of shoulder rotation.

When I used to turn my hips a lot more, I didn't have a ton of accuracy. I had more D, but I sprayed my shots a lot more than I do now. It was a timing thing i guess
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:22 pm

I also think of this alot while throwing

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby JR » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:40 pm

I'm not that curious that I'd ask about what's going (wr)on(g) in that picture :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Video Critique