Finally some new throws to look at

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Finally some new throws to look at

Postby bcsst26 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:49 pm

I finally got out today and taped some throws. I have been playing for about a year now and thanks for this site I can get my wizard around 250 ft, roc between 275-300 ft, and my drives around 300-350 ft. Also a thanks to Aaron for the Virtual Dub reference. That program is great in breaking down your throw. Anyways let me here your suggestions. I can see that my weight isn't as forward as I thought. Also I really wasn't feeling it today. I don't know if I was trying to hard or what but hopefully your suggestions will let me know why I wasn't feeling it. I have one video that contains three throws at normal speed and then the same three throws at slow speed. Thanks in advance.
http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3004485440101767097SWlmWo
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:02 pm

right off tha bat i would say try and keep your off arm closer to your body. yeah your weight isnt very forward, but you look like you have good acceleration. if youre getting your drives out to 350 with that throw i would say its time to add a real runup. you are getting zero added from your footwork. with my little fred flinstone runup it taught me something about harnessing the runup. try it...get a long runup going and see if you can harness that forward momentum. then you will feel how it works. now that ive been doing the long runup for a while i am able to harness the same feeling with a much shorter runup. also your reachback isnt very far back and your wrist is too precocked. open your wrist more. it will automatically close when you pull across your chest. when i precock my wrist like that i lose a lot of snap. i think it has to do with staying loose in the wrist. try those things and post another vid.

virtualDUB is awesome, everyone should use it to examine their throw.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:03 pm

actually now that i watch your throw again your off arm is close--it just flys up after the throw which is fine.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Star Shark » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:19 pm

I would suggest 2 things at this point

1 - RELAX The looser and smoother you are, the faster your armspeed will be.
2 - You might consider a longer reachback. Get your hips and shoulders turned a bit farther away from the target.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby black udder » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:16 pm

okay - first off if you're getting to 350', then you're not doing bad. However, it seems to me that you could improve in the following ways:

1) I believe you've got some OAT going on. When you pull through to the rip, you'll see your turn your palm up and your momentum drives you off to the side. I think your distance is coming from forcing overstable discs to hold a line longer.

2) You're not really pivoting your hips, it's more of a push off the back and turning on your plant leg. Try this with socks on carpet - slowly. To get the feel for what you want, stand with your legs shoulder width apart, then turn your upper body to the left, move to the ball of your right foot and turn your right knee (bent) into your left knee. That will close your hip. Now, start the movement back with your left foot, moving to the ball of your foot and pivoting your left knee into your right knee, just as you pivot your right knee away. You should stay on the ball of your right foot as well to allow your right leg to move and not remain stuck and twist. You should end up with both sets of toes pointing almost at the target.

Once you get that hip pivot down, start with that to get your upper body rotating before you pull. You'll get a ton of rotation and speed which you can then impart to the disc.

3) You're still throwing nose up. In part to a small swoop. You start with the disc up at your left shoulder, but pull down and relax your wrist at the rip point. This gets you a slight nose up release. Try pulling through almost under your chin and see if that helps.

4) The disc is coming out quite far from your body so I don't believe you're getting the most snap from your throw.

5) As you said - get your weight forward a little.

good luck.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JR » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:53 pm

Definitely a run up will help. So will keeping the plant step shorter. You had variable plant step lengths. The one where your ankle twisted was better than the longer ones. It helps to get your weight farther forward. You aren't presenting properly. At the reach back your disc is hyzered and at the release it's anhyzer. In roll axis the release angle is determined by timing of the release. Plus your legs setting up for an anhyzer tilting your whole body to the right. If you throw annies keep the annies so that no matter where you release it'll still be an anny. Less spraying and more consistency.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby bcsst26 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:48 am

Thanks for all the great advice guys. So here is the list of things that I am going to work on. I will put them in order of what I think is the most important and if you guys would chime in and let me know what you think that would be great. Plus I need some good reading material for today at work.

1.Work on a better more efficient hip pivot.
2.On the pull back either get the disc lower or pull the disc higher to get rid of the swoop?(not sure which would be better??)
3.Learn to use a longer runup(I have tried this at times but always feel like I get out of control. Any advice on this??)
4.Use a shorter plant step hopefully this will help get more weight forward.
5.Stay relaxed. This is something I think I do better on the course than in the practice field.
6.Keep the wrist loose and not pre-cocked.

Thanks again for the advice. I have progressed way more in a year than I ever thought I would with this site and your help.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby bcsst26 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:16 pm

Anybody have any more thoughts?? Bored at work and looking for more things to think about. 8)
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:54 pm

1 The harder you push with the left leg the harder you can twist with the hips.
2 There are plenty of different variations. Finding out what wrks best for you is what I always suggest.
3 Start in one third speed and stop adding speed when you get uncontrolled in timing and positioning. Practice at that speed for a while and see if you can increase speed controllably.

bcsst26 wrote:Thanks for all the great advice guys. So here is the list of things that I am going to work on. I will put them in order of what I think is the most important and if you guys would chime in and let me know what you think that would be great. Plus I need some good reading material for today at work.

2.On the pull back either get the disc lower or pull the disc higher to get rid of the swoop?(not sure which would be better??)
3.Learn to use a longer runup(I have tried this at times but always feel like I get out of control. Any advice on this??)
5.Stay relaxed. This is something I think I do better on the course than in the practice field.

Thanks again for the advice. I have progressed way more in a year than I ever thought I would with this site and your help.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dflaschiii » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:07 am

Looks like our resident experts have broken down things pretty well for you, but I'll emphasize the earlier advice to relax your body more. You look pretty herky-jerky when ideally you want to look fluid. Think of yourself as rubber band man, relax those muscles and let them stretch.

A longer run up may yeild immediate results but I wouldn't concentrate too much on that aspect. Toy around with it, sure, but don't get to the point where you rely upon it. I've made the biggest gains in my distance by simplifying and shortening my form (which yeilds more accuracy anyway).

In fact, as far as training goes, I think it's easier to start throwing without any run-up at all (no x-step either) in order to iron out any OAT issues, weight forward, hip rotation, etc, then add the extra steps of a run up. You gotta break things down in order to build them back up.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby SkaBob » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:01 am

Here's another one saying loosen up a little. I'm not sure to what extent you can loosen your elbow (that's the 'bent elbow' technique, right?), but your shoulders, neck and really your entire torso all look very, very tense...

Look at this drive, for example:
http://bob.werena.com/drives/FILE0023.MOV

Everything above my waist is loose and relaxed, even my arm when I'm reaching back (to what extent it can be and still hold itself up). I don't start to tense anything up until after I've started pulling forward, and even when I do nothing beyond my grip and the few muscles in my arm making the pulling motion, nothing's more tense than it normally would be standing up or leaning to the side.

I'm not the farthest thrower ever. With my form I'm just starting to break 400 about 1/3 of the time, but I've noticed as I've played that as I tense up more, it's harder to keep consistently in control of the shots I'm throwing (not to mention the wear and tear on the body from being that tense while jerking around).
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby black udder » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:44 pm

bcsst26 wrote:Thanks for all the great advice guys. So here is the list of things that I am going to work on. I will put them in order of what I think is the most important and if you guys would chime in and let me know what you think that would be great. Plus I need some good reading material for today at work.

1. Keep the wrist loose & not pre-cocked.
2. Better hip pivot
3. pull where you get the most power (for some it's high, others lower)
4. stay relaxed.

Save these two for *after* you've got the first 4. If you try them before you have them down, it will just make it more difficult for you. Plus, you could just reinforce bad habits.

5. use shorter plant foot
6. longer run up

I've said it before but what helped me a lot was to take 10 putters into a field and throw them from a stand still position throwing anhyzers, then hyzers then flat shots. Once you can get your putters out to 250'ish on the lines you intend and they are nose down. Move up to another disc.

Not saying only throw putters in rounds, just saying in practice. The lesson will apply to other discs and if you can manipulate your putters well, then every shot after your drive will benefit.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby pg043 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:13 pm

You appear to shorten your reachback gradually before you throw. You should be starting your runup with the disc held out to your side, and right before you throw your reachback should be at its maximum and your back should be most turned toward the target. This will help you be more explosive into the hit.
pg043
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby bcsst26 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:06 pm

black udder wrote:

1. Keep the wrist loose & not pre-cocked.
2. Better hip pivot
3. pull where you get the most power (for some it's high, others lower)
4. stay relaxed.

Save these two for *after* you've got the first 4. If you try them before you have them down, it will just make it more difficult for you. Plus, you could just reinforce bad habits.

5. use shorter plant foot
6. longer run up

I've said it before but what helped me a lot was to take 10 putters into a field and throw them from a stand still position throwing anhyzers, then hyzers then flat shots. Once you can get your putters out to 250'ish on the lines you intend and they are nose down. Move up to another disc.

Not saying only throw putters in rounds, just saying in practice. The lesson will apply to other discs and if you can manipulate your putters well, then every shot after your drive will benefit.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did do alot of field practice just from a stand still then one step then the X-step. After doing this for some time my distance increase by a lot. I now can get my wizards around 250, my rocs between 275 and 300 and my drivers anywhere from 300-350 depending on the nose down. The things that you listed though sound good to me. I will be working on them and hopefully this will push my distant limits even more. :shock:
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby dgdave » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:47 pm

I would echo what everyone has said.

I would try to use your left arm to go with the follow through. Push is forward to continue the momentum through the follow through. It seems like you flailing it straight out, instead of continuing through your motion, witch hurts your follow through.
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Next

Return to Video Critique