Avenger SS

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Avenger SS

Postby dgdave » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:09 pm

Used the search, but it sucked

how will it compare to a Roadrunner? How do the cryztal and ESP compare?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:05 pm

I think the Avenger has more glide than a RR. I can start the SS with a pretty good amount of hyzer angle and it will still flatten out and gradually track to the right. I replaced my Rogue with an ESP Avenger SS for rollers and turnovers. For me , the RR was a lot more finicky for air shots, but it was a good roller. Overall I think the Avenger is more usefull.
I have a Cryztal SS, but have only used it on a couple of holes (rollers). I haven't used it enough to see if it will kick the ESP out of the bag.
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Re: Avenger SS

Postby Grayson » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:58 pm

dgdave wrote:Used the search, but it sucked

how will it compare to a Roadrunner? How do the cryztal and ESP compare?

yeah, the search function sucks if you wanna search for avenger ss, you'll basically get all the listing for the avenger. I wish the search function recognized quotation marks so you could specify searchs.

anyway, the avenger ss and the roadrunner are pretty similar, but i find the avenger ss to be a tad more reliable for airshots. It's the easiest high speed driver that I was able to throw a roller with out of the box. Throw it flat and hard and it'll roll like mad. it never hyzers out, so if you want a roller, you got a roller. I'll take it out for long turnovers as well.

The ESP Avenger SS is almost exactly like the RR, but the Cryztal Z Avenger SS is closer to a sidewinder or a valk when new. It's got a little more fade at the end. I've used my for a airshots mostly, but it really doesn't have a spot in my bag since I use a Z XL and a Rogue for those shots. The FLX Avenger SS is ok, I'd recommend it to someone who doesn't have a lot of distance, but otherwise it's not a great roller and not any better than the ESP in my book (FLX is a little more HSS and LSS).

If you're comfy with the RRs, just stick with em, I don't think you'll get an amazing difference with the Avenger SS to warrant a change.
Grayson
2008 DGR Donator

Postby Lakewoodhillsdgleague » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:46 pm

I love the SS. I use it for long anny shots as well as rollers. I find, compared to the RR, the flight pattern is very similar but I feel that the SS is faster than the RR. Also rollers with the SS tend to not turn to the right as fast as the RR (I am a RHBH thrower). However this is just my opinion. To each his own!
MN Frisbee Association President

Sign up for the Lakewood Hills Disc Golf League NOW!!!!! Currently splashing chains every Sunday @ 4pm!!!! Open $5 Ams $3

http://www.lakewoodhillsdg.com
lakewoodhillsdgleague@hotmail.com
Lakewoodhillsdgleague
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Crystal Z FLX Buzzz

Re: Avenger SS

Postby adamschneider » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:31 am

anarak82 wrote:yeah, the search function sucks if you wanna search for avenger ss, you'll basically get all the listing for the avenger. I wish the search function recognized quotation marks so you could specify searchs.

Sometimes you can find what you need using Google: search for "Avenger SS" and "site:www.discgolfreview.com/forums/".

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:www ... Avenger-SS
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby BLURR » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:48 pm

The ESP A-SS vs. the Cryztal A-SS...

The ESP is a lot more understable compared to the Cryztal. I would say that the turn on the ESP would be something like -3 on the Innova scale. the Cryztal is more like a -1. The fade for the ESP would be something like a +.5 and the Cryztal would be around a +1. These are all based on an average disc golfer's ability to throw around 330. So for you Dave...both of these would probably be rollers for you. If you are looking for a good roller, the ESP is the shizzle. I have tried both for rollers, and the ESP is a bit more rigid for rolling. The Cryztal is a bit too floppy for rolling consistently. The other bonus is that the ESP is more than likely going to be easier to get a hold of than the cryztal, as well as cheaper.

As for the Roadrunner comparison, I would say that the overall flight and speed of the RR vs. the ESP A-SS, are very close in comparison. I find that the ESP is an easier disc to roll than the RR.

Just my .02 worth...
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby dgdave » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:30 pm

Are all Avenger SS super poppy top domey? I just got 3 in trade and they are DOMEY!!
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:59 pm

dave, be a man and throw a beat pro wraith or OLS.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby dgdave » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:05 pm

I never liked Wraiths or OLS. I've tried a few. I really like RRs, but just giving these Avenger SSs a try
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby SkaBob » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:52 pm

The FLX one I have is SUPER flat, but I seem to remember most of the ESP ones I've seen having at least some dome to them...
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby marmoset » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:03 pm

Both my FLX SS's are pancake flat.
Orange 174- super straight, just like the name says; great glide, decent fade
Pink 169- fairly understable. Tailwinds' best friend

If you can stand the FLX plastic then this is where the SS shines, IMHO. Too bad it's difficult to find the heavier ones...
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby SkaBob » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:47 am

I actually prefer the ESP to the FLX. I use the Avenger SS for long, long, LONG turnover shots when I have one with me, and I can't trust the FLX one to stay on line all the way to the ground. I also hear the ESP is phenomenal for rollers, which FLX plastic is just AWFUL for...
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby Midnightbiker » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:27 pm

What is an "Airshot"? :?
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby daytondiscer » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:09 pm

a non-roller would be my guess
daytondiscer
Noob

Postby marmoset » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:49 pm

SkaBob wrote:I actually prefer the ESP to the FLX. ....I also hear the ESP is phenomenal for rollers, which FLX plastic is just AWFUL for...

I don't use rollers. Rollers on my home course are more painful than falling asleep in a fire ant pile.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Next

Return to Equipment