Elevated Pins

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Elevated Pins

Postby kvanorsdel » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:52 pm

Our club is discussing adding an elevated pin to a very flat wide open hole.

I was wondering if you have any favorite elevated pin designs, if so what are they? If you have pics I'd love to see them
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby daytondiscer » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:11 pm

there is a really sweet elevated hole at the new englewood course in ohio. If I get around to playing it this weekend, ill post a pic.
daytondiscer
Noob

Postby Dogma » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Our local course has an elevated basket. I admit I was skeptical before it went in, but it plays well and really adds to an otherwise straightforward hole. It's just a PVC tube, maybe 8" in diameter, set in concrete and filled with concrete. The traditional anchor for the basket is set in the concrete in the top of the tube. In other words, it's cheap and simple. The PVC is painted green, so it kinda blends in. Obviously it could be nicer with big rocks or a dirt mound around it like some courses have. I'd guess the bottom of the basket is about even with the top of my head at 6' off the ground. Seems to be a good height as most adults can reach it to get discs out (reach through the bottom and toss them out the top), but it's high enough to really change the hole, especially with an OB concrete area close behind it. I don't have a photo, but will try to get one next time I play.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby cmrichar » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:47 pm

I have seen a basket that was placed on a 3 foot diameter tree trunk that added another 3-4 feet in height. But that would require cutting down a tree that may or may not be there where you would like the pin to be. It did look really sweet though.
Chad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:03 pm

They have several ( at least four) elevated pins at Tyler State Park in Newton, PA.

Two of them are on shorter holes where the pin can be driven from the tee. The added elevation makes you think twice about running for the deuce if you didn't park it.

There are two other holes that are elevated on tough par three holes and both have very treacherous fast greens already. The extra 2-3 feet of elevation makes the 3 a birdie.

Three of the holes are built up on 4'x4' platforms(two tiered) made with landscape timbers. The other one was elevated by creating a cement cylinder with an inverted 5 gal bucket and mounted the pole in the cement.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby roman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:11 am

I've seen some temporary holes set up on top of picnic tables. Those are fun. My favorite is when there is a flat fairway with maybe a small 4-5ft drop at the end, and they set up the picnic table there with the basket on top. From the tee it looks like the basket is standing in the ground. Very easy to go too long on that hole if you try to "park" it. Well, too long to putt at an elevated pin, anyway.

This one is also pretty good

If you want a donation basket you can do something like this
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Barbikes » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:06 pm

It's been a while since I played it but the course at Weed, California has a basket (number ten I think) on top of a stepped pyramid built out of dirt and railroad ties that is about 8 feet high and maybe 20 feet square at the base. It is surprisingly difficult! I think that adding an elevated basket like this is a great way to make a hole that would have been too easy difficult.
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby kvanorsdel » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:52 pm

Here are a couple pics I have found

kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fritz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:31 pm

Absolutely!!! One of my favorite holes at Palisade's Riverbend Park is on a mount. It's great, I've seen so many people get a sweet drive, run the chains for a birdie and end up with a 4 or 5.

I'll post a picture when I get a chance to get over there and snap one.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby tumpsi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:16 pm

1 or 2 per course is sweet, more is lame.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby GorillaTactics » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:33 pm

I agree. I would rather play elevated pins that were shaped into the land naturally. If they're "man-elevated", but creative and blend into the course at least somewhat they can still be cool.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:48 am

kvanorsdel wrote:Image

That's my home course! I forgot I posted that somewhere, pdga board I guess.
The tee is to the left, 195 from the short pad and 235 from the long. Slight drop in elevation, tightly wooded fairway. Standing on the pad you can see the yellow band, and assume that the basket is on flat ground. If you overshoot the pin, you have a 12ft high comeback...

tumpsi wrote:1 or 2 per course is sweet, more is lame.
Agreed; that's the only man-raised one we have.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby RS39 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:11 am

I like the idea.

While I am not aware of any elevated tees here, we have several on high ground. Canton, Oh has a few close to the edge of a pond, and Massillon, Oh has several on natural ridges so that the final approach is like a 2-car wide driveway but going off is almost dropping it off your garage. The pic link has a pin lurking in the center of the pic, and your throws are normally winding up down in the valley. So being real close to the basket is 'under' enough to be a harsh angle, and a bit farther is a more open angle.

http://www.ohiodiscgolf.org/coursepictures/view/251/
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby stoneman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:32 pm

I played a course the other day that had a hanging basket. Basket was hanging from a chain, tied to a limb of a large tree. You don't realize how often the pole stops discs from going by until you throw at a hanger a few times :lol: . It would be very easy to make that hole elevated, but it was just standard height.
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Elevated Pins

Postby LaForce » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:49 pm

LaForce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Next

Return to Courses