mando question

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

mando question

Postby soxfan1982 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:09 pm

ok i have a question about mandos. my buddies and i were playing a casual round the other day where the mando was marked on a tree that had a fork above the mando. now my drive somehow made it through the fork which is exactly over the mando marker. now what would be the ruling on this? would the mando have been met or not?
soxfan1982
Noob

Postby dgdave » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:12 pm

Missed mando. You have to clear the mando, either inside or outside of it.
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby geoloseth » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:10 pm

Although I could be wrong, I think the general interpretation is that there is a lime of verticality from the ob marking. It would be tough to call your situation without actually being there at the time.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:17 pm

We have a similar mando on our local course here, and that would count as a missed mando. The disc has to go around the tree. Doesn't matter if it forks up top, a tree is a tree, and you have to go around it and not through it.

edit- if you really want to argue it, have the person who put up the mando climb up the tree and move the marker to the outermost point of the tree. However, you know how ridiculous that will sound.
Last edited by roman on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:19 pm

geoloseth wrote:I think the general interpretation is that there is a lime of verticality from the ob marking.
Is there Tequila with that lime? :P
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby geoloseth » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:45 pm

Working Stiff wrote:
geoloseth wrote:I think the general interpretation is that there is a lime of verticality from the ob marking.
Is there Tequila with that lime? :P

My iPhone makes me type like I'm an alcoholic. Not that I'm not an alcoholic or anything, I think. I dunno but I am going to go make me anuther gim in tonik
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JohnnyB » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:47 pm

(1) The mandatory line is the line marked by the director or course designer to indicate when a disc has passed or missed the mandatory.
(2) If no line is marked, the mandatory line is defined as a straight line through the mandatory, perpendicular to the line from the tee to the mandatory.
(3) In the case of a double mandatory when no line is marked, the mandatory line is the straight line connecting the two mandatories, and extends beyond them in both directions.

So you either take it as a veritical line from the marker or you ask the course designer.
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby Smoke » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:57 pm

roman wrote:The disc has to go around the tree. Doesn't matter if it forks up top, a tree is a tree, and you have to go around it and not through it.

What is considered "the tree"? My home course has a hole in particular that has a huge full grown Oak tree, that you must go to the left of. Most shots go around it, however there are a few that hit that grey area. So what about these circumstances?

Roller: Rolling the disc on the ground around the base of the tree, staying to the left, but under the branches.

Airshot: Shanking a shot and it goes through the branches of the tree but still goes to the left of the trunk.

Plinko Effect: What if you hit the tree dead on, but it ricochets off a branch and goes around to the left of the tree?

I guess the main question is what is considered a tree, is it just the trunk or is it from the trunk to the farthest branch?
I'm neither a bear, nor a cheetah..I'm a WOLVERINE!

"Must get past the first tree....um the second one too." - Bill
"Start the lawnmower..smack the midget." - D, when talking about how to throw
"No Low Putts!" - Hell if I know
Smoke
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:57 pm

Mandos are not trees but objects you must throw around. The mando object must be defined by the course designer or TD. In the absence of that, then you should agree within your group what you have to do to pass the mando properly. Usually it's the main trunk closest to the fairway in the event the trunk splits into two trunks partway up. Passing thru branches on the good side of the mando trunk is considered good.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dogma » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:30 pm

Smoke wrote:I guess the main question is what is considered a tree...

Plato would be proud.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Return to Rules Discussion