Pironix's drive

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Pironix's drive

Postby Pironix » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:13 pm

Finally got out and taped some drives....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j1hmi4LBA8

Most of these were probably around 350-375 or so... maybe a couple at 400 that I really laid into..

The biggest thing I noticed already is I take much too large of a plant step so my weight shift is off as I start the pivot...

Currently an 895 rated player.... drives were about average as far as distance...

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Pironix
Noob

Postby dgdave » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:25 pm

I didn't watch all of them, but of what I did watch, here's what I saw

Everything was fast untill the pull. It looked like it all slowed down. Start slow finish fast. It may not hurt to shorten up/simplify the entire run up to help out. Its all a timing thing. I used to have a HUGE run up. now its a 4 step throw and I'm just as long and A LOT more accurate. There was also few nose up drives. Thats probably from the long last step.
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Aaron_D » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:38 pm

try this...

think to yourself "im going to put my weight into the throw"

Like...lean into the hit.

Also, ill tell you something straight from masterbeato that has really helped me and I think will help you:

true power is effortless power. try and relax your whole throw a lot more. next time youre out in the field try throw as relaxed as you possibly can and dont worry about D. I bet you can get 330-350 with this ultra relaxed throw. really loosen everything up. try and learn something from that and when you go back to your normal form see if your relaxed form...informs your normal form.

more specifically your plant step is WAY too long, your followthrough is REALLY good, your acceleration is not good at all. you could really benefit from the advice of starting the pull much slower and not reaching full armspeed until after the hit.

it looks like your wrist extension and elbow chop arent "on plane" with your shoulder swing / disc swing.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Pironix » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:05 pm

Aaron_D wrote:try this...
true power is effortless power. try and relax your whole throw a lot more. next time youre out in the field try throw as relaxed as you possibly can and dont worry about D. I bet you can get 330-350 with this ultra relaxed throw. really loosen everything up. try and learn something from that and when you go back to your normal form see if your relaxed form...informs your normal form.

I agree with you.... think I was trying too hard/thinking too much about my form...

Glad I edited out the few times I tripped over my own damn feet, lol
Pironix
Noob

Postby black udder » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:37 pm

When you run up, the last thing you do is lean back. I know you're thinking "really cranking up", but you're killing the majority of the momentum you've built up.

Imagine if you were running up to jump over an obstacle. You wouldn't lean back at the last second. same principle. Keep your body centered and then when you reach back and pivot/pull through, you keep the momentum and speed.

Also, pivot your hips first before you start your pull through. Get the disc closer to your chest before you pull. That way, you'll be able to maximize your speed. If you think about it, it's much easier to move really fast for a short period (say from a bent elbow at your right pec past to just past the rip point) rather than a long period (say from your furthest reach back all the way to your finish).

This is akin to the motion ice skaters use when they spin. They put the arms out and then pull them in as they begin to rotate. What you're doing is you have your arms out, you begin your pivot and then pull your arms in tight to increase your rotational speed. As you rotate, you'll let your throwing arm out the back side with the disc and it will be ejected towards (hopefully) your target.

You also need to sync your timing of pull through and upper body rotation. Your upper body is rotating too fast and the disc is way away from your chest. You're getting some good wrist snap, but you'll get much more if you can pull that arm across and release in front of you.

Good distance, but now is the hard part - fine tuning everything for maximum distance.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JR » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:47 pm

What they said. Also try keeping your head straight up. It helps with balance and pivoting quicker. Then try throwing flat releases. Now you're two thirds anhyzer. Your reach back is at times a hyzer but mostly anhyzer. your run up steps are for an anhyzer and you release hyzer which probably flips with anything but the beefiest of discs. Try running straight at the target with the disc hyzered from reach back to release. Everything needs to be the same. When throwing hyzer keep the run up straight or slightly from the rear left of the tee to the center of the tee and the disc hyzered throughout the arm pull. When you punch the arm back as quickly as you do you're messing up the disc orientation by using so much force that your wrist rolls between a hyzer and anhyzer. Easy does it. You need to use arm and hip plus shoulder turn power going forwards not as much reaching back unless you wanna throw backwards with a very funky style :-D

You're leaning back quite a bit during the x step. It can be a good learning tool for form and the timing of different body movements. It gives you more time to perform the throws and consciously concentrating on guiding your motions. It makes your weight shift slower and less power generating. Most importantly it will require a lot of left leg push into the pivot plus initial momentum and sucking up your gut by pulling your upper body forwards from the waist up to get you weight forward. Which is a must for combating nose up.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby masterbeato » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:36 am

yeah just like what Aaron D wrote, just slow everything up. You will get more work done this way. Your run up is too fast. Slow everything down until you get to hit, then you can start throwing with your body as hard as you can get.

I told Aaron to slow everything down even if it goes like 10 feet. The key is to feel every ounce of power your body can generate into energy.

Feel is everything.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby mothrows » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:46 am

The best advice I can give you is to just quit playing :) That way you'll stop whooping up on me in tournaments. Seriously though, it sounds like people are giving you some good advice on here. I'd try to offer some advice, but you're already better then me anyway.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby CJ1998 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:20 pm

Pironix wrote:. . .
Glad I edited out the few times I tripped over my own damn feet, lol

You ever tried to start pulling before your plant foot hits the ground? (Don't try it) I hate to admit it, but I've done that a couple times.

I agree about effortless power. It's tough to let yourself buy into it, but If you remind yourself that the whole point of the game is control, I think it'll help. I spend so much time throwing in the field that I forget that the most important shot is 200' straight ahead.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Pironix » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:14 pm

mothrows wrote:The best advice I can give you is to just quit playing :) That way you'll stop whooping up on me in tournaments. Seriously though, it sounds like people are giving you some good advice on here. I'd try to offer some advice, but you're already better then me anyway.

That's just thanks to my putting :lol:
Pironix
Noob

Return to Video Critique