Chopping your Elbow

A spot where people can post questions on the Instructional Articles from the site.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Chopping your Elbow

Postby alerik » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:38 am

I understand that to throw with this style, and to throw putters & midrange for power and accuracy, you may need to chop your elbow. What does chop your elbow mean in average Joe terms.
If I can't beat you now, I will practice until I can.
alerik
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:48 pm

think karate chop.

quick, striking motion that involves the unbending of the elbow.

this happens in all throws, but generally part of a longer fluid motion.

key is to be strong at the end of the chop to bring yourself into and through the finish.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

elbow chop

Postby Toney » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:31 pm

Is an elbow chop more important to think about when throw mid-ranges shorter distances? I would think if you really want to wind out a roc, wouldn't you use more of a conventional long distance style, just backed off 20 percent or so? My maximum distance with a rock is about 240 feet. If I want to throw it 200 feet, then I start thinking about elbow choping and concentrating on a strong follow through. Or should I be elbow chopping all of my mid-range length?
Toney
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:23 am

it depends... what i would recommend trying is to throw a roc as hard as you can with an elbow chop and full x-step. if it aids you in timing the finish, you may find you get MORE power that way.

rocs can handle snap well but cannot handle off-axis torque well nor excessive speed with huge amounts of nose down which which is why many players throw bent elbow with mids/putters.
Blake_T

Postby discmonkey42 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:15 am

Blake,

Any vids in the trow analysis section that illustrate this form for throwing mids???
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:03 pm

not particularly... but everyone has some elbow chop, for most it is not a focal point.

timmy gill and walter haney are two that have very evident elbow chops.
Blake_T

Postby CJ1998 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:59 pm

The idea of elbow chop while attempting to propel 170 or so grams of plastic to distances in excess of 350 feet scares me to death. I'm just afraid that in attempting to throw far, that I'll somehow tear a ligament or develop tendinitis.

I can remember trying to throw a catch disc far and feeling some considerable pain in my inner elbow. Fortunately, that was 8 years ago and I haven't experienced it in throwing discs yet (I've only been doing that for 6 months, if that)
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Jsw » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:48 pm

In my experience(limited as it may be), less elbow 'chop' = more control, but a sacrifice of distance.

So I tend to chop the elbow on big open drives. And for control mid/puts I tend to keep my elbow a bit more locked up. Maybe its just my throwing style but thats how it works for me.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Return to Questions About Articles on Disc Golf Review