need some critique on these

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

need some critique on these

Postby djext1 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:14 pm

I have a couple videos, one of my friend and then myself. Then another video of two of my friends and then myself. Both videos are on the same hole. It's a small downhill shot.

First video is of Jon (black guy), who can average about 300-350 pretty easily and accurately. Then after he throws, it's me Chris (white guy), which I tend to throw about 220-250 backhand accurately and 300 forehand very accurately. We both want to increase our distance, but I just can't seem to get much further than 250 with a power grip and putting my all behind it without the throw going haywire. So here's video 1:

Jon/Chris

Now this second video, is the same hole, different day. First up is Rob, who has distance trouble, tends to throw up on occasion and only gets about 200-225 at max. Then it's Jon, then it's me.

Rob/Jon/Chris
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kzhEZpzhJE

We all would like some advice on what we are and aren't doing and should and shouldn't be doing. Thanks to all that give it a shot.

Chris
djext1
Noob

Re: need some critique on these

Postby JR » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:24 pm

djext1 wrote:I have a couple videos, one of my friend and then myself. Then another video of two of my friends and then myself. Both videos are on the same hole. It's a small downhill shot.

First video is of Jon (black guy), who can average about 300-350 pretty easily and accurately. Then after he throws, it's me Chris (white guy), which I tend to throw about 220-250 backhand accurately and 300 forehand very accurately. We both want to increase our distance, but I just can't seem to get much further than 250 with a power grip and putting my all behind it without the throw going haywire. So here's video 1:

Jon/Chris

Now this second video, is the same hole, different day. First up is Rob, who has distance trouble, tends to throw up on occasion and only gets about 200-225 at max. Then it's Jon, then it's me.

Rob/Jon/Chris
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kzhEZpzhJE

We all would like some advice on what we are and aren't doing and should and shouldn't be doing. Thanks to all that give it a shot.

Chris

Hi and welcome.

Hope you didn't offend anyone with DGR inside joke there :-)

I only saw the link for all of you guys in the post. In that video Jon doesn't pivot on the plant step with the right leg. That's the thrid step of the x step. He falls forward towards the target. Compare what Chris did and you should ass more spin to the disc.

Each of you accelerated the arm pull at full speed right in the beginning. The arm should be limp in the upper arm and loosish in the forearm until the rear of the disc passes the right pec and you should accelerate even harder when the disc is 12" from the arm being straight and the hardest acceleration should happen when the disc has just left your hand.

Since you have video equipment and buddies you could learn quickly to bend your waists even more forward so that your heart is exactly on top of your right knee back to front, not necessarily sideways, as the disc leaves the hand.

I'd work on these first and post another video when you're satisfied with these. It's not a good idea to tackle too many things simultaneously because these things will take months for many people without videoing at least. Depending also how hard old habits have been ingrained in memory.

Remember to try keeping the disc as close to the chest as possible always because it helps immensely later on in developing. If it can't be performed it'll put a serious limit to your possible throwing distance.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Star Shark » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:40 pm

for chris, you don't get your shoulders/hips turned away from the target much... work on getting the rest of your body into the thow.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby djext1 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:50 pm

JR: What DGR inside joke?? :?

Also, I should add that the first video is older, and I have since tweaked my form a bit more since then, and I throw a lot closer to the second video.

I'll try to get out tomorrow and get some video, from both the side and from behind at just throwing for distance with a normal run up. I think the hole we are throwing off of in this video isn't the best representation of how we throw on flat neutral ground. Plus it's not a long hole, so we aren't really opening up on it.

Thanks for the advice so far though. Hopefully the newer vids I put up will help the community to see better what it is we are doing right/wrong.

:)
djext1
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:04 pm

djext1 wrote:JR: What DGR inside joke?? :?

It rhymes with Aviars and Cheetahs and I'm not gonna write it :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby black udder » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:36 pm

Read my posts in the Technique section - Wrist Position and Timing posts.

I've said it all several times recently. Understand the concept of throwing and you'll get where you want.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby SkaBob » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:03 pm

I only watched the first video...but the one thing that stood out is your friend hardly uses his torso at all, and doesn't really turn away from the target. His throw is possibly the only one I've seen that's more based on the arm itself than mine heh

Yours is a little better in that respect, but you're not turning away from your target all that much more...
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Return to Video Critique