banzai7 drives.

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

banzai7 drives.

Postby Banzai » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:53 am

I've been playing for just over a year now, and I've just decided to revamp my form, building my throw from the hit back. Just got a new camcorder too, so I thought I'd post video of each step along the way.

Here is a link to some video of my current form: http://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/acotnoir/?action=view&current=Drives09-05-08.flv

I threw Valks, Teebirds, and a Wraith (possibly a Firebird in there too). There is a 15' fence 305' from home plate. All these drives were hitting the fence or going over. The longest was the Valk which went beyond the fence roughly 30'. The 'two thumbs up' is for my Wraith smacking the score board (about 20' high, and about 10' beyond the fence). My guess is that drive would have been the furthest, although it may have been a bit nose up.

Anyway, I obviously need some work; but it'd be nice to know just where my problems are. Two things I know I've gotta work on:

1.) being more consistent about nose angle.
2.) utilizing power from my hips.

Proceed to tear me apart. :?

[EDIT: Sorry for the quality -- Photobucket did some serious compressing. I've gotta tweak a bit. And I haven't figured out slow-motion yet, so bear with me.]
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby black udder » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:53 am

Looks like you're all arm. Your arm and torso all seem to rotate at the same time. You pivot on your plant foot instead of pivoting your hips.

Looks like you're getting over on the disc and bending your plant leg which is good.

I suspect if you can add a good hip pivot and shoudler rotation that you could add some distance. I can't see how close to your chest the disc is, but you should see where that is - might increase your snap which would help with distance.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JR » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:12 am

Even more waist bend forward. Heart over the right knee. I'm not sure but I think that your arm may not be moving in a perfectly straight line. There might be some round action going on that you'd do well to get rid off. If I saw correctly puling closer to the chest will rectify that. More sit ups with twisting to the side as you sit up should help with hip twist. I think you'd benefit from starting the arm pull more relaxed and really adding power after the disc has passed your right pec. You're missing acceleration where it loads the tendons in the forearm. Add to that the possible similar result from not pulling close to the chest.

Were you intentionally releasing anhyzer? Your leg work is for an anny and you were tilted to the right when throwing.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: banzai7 drives.

Postby presidio hills » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:34 pm

banzai7 wrote:1.) being more consistent about nose angle.

it seems you're attempting to throw all of your discs flat. have you read blake's telegraphing the shot article? i would work on trying to hit some big hyzers and big annies to help you to learn how to control nose angles better.

i think your form looks pretty good. i see aaron's point about using the hips more. your rhythm is nice... smooth during the runnup and pull and accelerating through the hit. not overpowering it either.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Banzai » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks everyone.

This is the first video I've taken of myself. The first thing I noticed was "wow, no leg power!" That's why I mentioned utilizing my hips in the original post. Both Black Udder and JR have confirm that, and so here is a question. What drills will teach this? Standstill from left pec, focusing on hip pivot?

I have a feeling, after I start incorporating more hip pivot, the problem will become timing shoulder turn with arm speed. But that comes later.

As far as keeping close to my chest, I suspect I'm pretty close. I'll accidently slice my nipples with my disc about once or twice a round. Maybe I'll video from rear 3/4 angle and post soon. That'd probably help more.

As far as anny footwork goes, I don't think I usually do this, so it must have been because I was lining up oddly. You mean that I am basically starting at the back right and x-stepping to the top left, correct? I do see this slightly on the video, so I'll have to watch for that.

I have read the telegraphing article, (many times!). As far as always releasing flat, I was trying to do that. I suppose I could post a few vids of my hyzer and anhyzer form too. But I'm basically just looking to see how I can break into the 350 range consistently.

There was a time about 2-3 weeks back when I was really crushing it, I mean like 350 or so on most drives. I was really focusing on accelerating late into the hit. But it has seemed like I've gone back down to around 300 - 325 on most drives. Perhaps I was utilizing my hips more? Or maybe the late acceleration was improving my timing with my shoulders? I dunno.
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:15 pm

Just so it's no surprise, I'll confirm for you that every time you adjust your form, you'll throw it out of whack and have to adjust your timing :)

There is no "exercise" to use your hips. You just need to do it. I'd advise standing throws just to simplify things. Turn your right need into the back of your left knee, then pivot the other way - turn your left knee into the back of your right knee (as your right knee turns from inside back to outside with your movement).

Also, feel the difference in speed/power when you pull then pivot your hips vs pivot your hips and as your arm is pulled, accelerate the pull. Your hips will give you a kind of jump start so you won't have to pull your arm as far. You'll be starting your pull from around your pecs, so you can just krank it from there through the finish.

If you add some torso/shoulder rotation, it gets crazy how much speed you can build just by using your larger muscle groups.

Easy test is to stand still with your arms relaxed at your side (no discs) and just pivot your hips, then shoulders and see how your arms whips out. That's the idea of what you're going for, you'll just be controlling that arm and giving it some help to really heave the disc.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JR » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:32 am

banzai7 wrote:There was a time about 2-3 weeks back when I was really crushing it, I mean like 350 or so on most drives. I was really focusing on accelerating late into the hit. But it has seemed like I've gone back down to around 300 - 325 on most drives. Perhaps I was utilizing my hips more? Or maybe the late acceleration was improving my timing with my shoulders? I dunno.

Another possible candidate for distance loss is the mentality that ha! now I can throw that far with this improved form. Let's add powerrrrrrr!!!! AAAARGGHHHH! Popping a vein and throwing 50' shorter. What happened? Kicking bags etc.

I think most have made the mistake of adding more power in the wrong time and possibly tensing up muscles so much that you're about as stiff as wearing a full plate medieval armor suite. Stiff means slow motions and a tired thrower in the end of the session where the distances remained at old form levels or dropped below those. An unforgiving teacher this sport is.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Banzai » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:24 am

JR wrote:
banzai7 wrote:There was a time about 2-3 weeks back when I was really crushing it, I mean like 350 or so on most drives. I was really focusing on accelerating late into the hit. But it has seemed like I've gone back down to around 300 - 325 on most drives. Perhaps I was utilizing my hips more? Or maybe the late acceleration was improving my timing with my shoulders? I dunno.

Another possible candidate for distance loss is the mentality that ha! now I can throw that far with this improved form. Let's add powerrrrrrr!!!! AAAARGGHHHH! Popping a vein and throwing 50' shorter.

Well put. I think this is exactly what was going on. Adding powerrrrrrr = add arm speed = early pull through with arm = lose what little hip/shoulder power I was utilizing to get out to 350.

Arg. Back to the drawing board. Black udder, I tried what you suggested and it's pretty easy to see how hip generate power. Now I'm gonna try it in the field.
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Video Critique