Throws from left pec no hips.

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Throws from left pec no hips.

Postby bcsst26 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:24 pm

So I have decided to go back to the basics and start over again. I am now throwing from the left pec with a reach back with no hips involved. Blackudder has suggested doing this and I agree. I am trying to get a smooth throw with upper body rotation then after practicing this for a while I will try to use the hips to drive it all. It still looks like I am dipping some. When I throw I do not feel this so any suggestions on how to stop or what to concentrate on to avoid dipping so much? Also any other feedback on how to get this step down before proceeding would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3068120950101767097Jivhdr?vhost=good-times
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:09 pm

Just woke up and can't figure out what you mean by dipping :-( Your form ain't bad. Getting the late acceleration even later is definitely gonna help more. I'd like to see two inches more chest forward at the hit. A little more waist bend forward. Also try tensing up the forearm muscles a bit with concentrating on gripping tighter with the thumb and index finger against each other all throughout the throw tightening up even more in the final quick acceleration. This helps in keeping the wrist down so that you won't throw nose up.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby black udder » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:13 pm

If I didn't say it, I will now. Stop the throw from the left pec. Just reach straight back and don't throw so hard.

Your main goal with this standing throw is to find snap, learn to recognize when you hit it and when you don't and to hit it repeatedly.

By trying to throw hard, you'll just end up losing the concentration you need.

The disc is coming out early, some nose up, so you're not keeping the disc in close to your chest long enough.

Try this - Stand still - shoulder to your target and just to a reach back and pull through. No shoulder, torso or hip rotation. See if you can keep the nose down and find some snap. Keep that disc close to your chest all the way and then when the disc passes your chest, keep the disc against your forearm until it's down near your wrist, then let it flick out.

Once you get that snap you should be able to throw the same distances as in that video with ease.

Remember - focus on straight pull, close to the chest and nose down. That's it.

Oh, you don't need to bend your knees so much. Just a tad. Stand straight, lean forward until your chin is over your toes, then bend your knees until you feel balanced. Then throw :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:01 pm

1. you are using hips.

but...
your upper body is coming through too early. pure strong arm throw. if this is intentional it's counter productive.

2. your peak velocity occurs about 1' before you release the disc. this should be at or immediately after the point the disc leaves.

basically, you're muscling it. seems like some confusion between finish power and strong arming.

try some relaxed throws and feel when you should be throwing hard. you really don't need to "try to throw hard" until after the disc is out in front of your body.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Craig Smolin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:47 am

biggest critique I can offer is your balance. you look like all your weight is dipping to the front of your body. this could be the cause of the late release. I know I sometimes have the opposite problem on my standstill throws - namely leaning backwards a touch to far and getting slightly early releases or early fade.

definitely shorten the reach back, maybe drop your elbow a bit in relation to your hand, this might help you get through the "pull" a bit easier. I know it helped me. basically, when I used to throw with my elbow and entire arm in the same "plane" I had a lot of difficulty getting consistent, straight pull "throughs." Once I dropped my elbow (think of your arm looking like a very wide "v" I had a much easier time pulling straight.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:24 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Relaxing and not throwing so hard is a concept I still haven't grasped for some reason. I think I do better at this on the course but when I hit that practice field it is balls to the walls. Anyways I will work on a more relaxed throw, keep the disc closer to the chest, and try to feel things more. I will work on these things and post another video in hopefully a week or so. Keep up the great coaching.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby mark12b » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:46 pm

one exercise that was an eye-opener for me was to try to make the disc fly as slow as possible. it will go surprisingly far..
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:13 pm

mark12b wrote:one exercise that was an eye-opener for me was to try to make the disc fly as slow as possible. it will go surprisingly far..

Good idea. That is something I will have to try out.
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Return to Video Critique