Technique Primer - Look here first!

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Technique Primer - Look here first!

Postby black udder » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:10 am

We've talked about getting a sticky thread for some of our most productive topics, so I've put some of what I believe are some of our best topics with the most revealing technique discussion this year.

Masterbeato's form
viewtopic.php?t=6175&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Dan driving regular & slo-mo - from Blue Ribbon round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoOi2Cg0dk8

Driving with Dan (Masterbeato) - A driving clinic
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9959

Drive Analysis #1 (Dan Beto)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoOi2Cg0dk8

Drive Analysis #2 (Dan Beto)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOMbSi_-3-k

Drive Analysis #3 (Dan Beto)

Hip Power - pivoting the Hip with Dan (Masterbeato)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDcrO7wPXxU

Putting with Dan (Masterbeato)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9990

Lakewood Hills round with Dan
http://discgolfreview.com/forums/viewto ... 17&t=11727

Blue Ribbon Pines round with Dan
http://discgolfreview.com/forums/viewto ... 17&t=12354

Timing
viewtopic.php?t=8594

Discraft Training Video - Distance NOW!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uHMoYJ6Q

Looks like you don't need much of a "run up"
viewtopic.php?t=7708

Standstill question
viewtopic.php?t=7858

More Wrist Stuff
viewtopic.php?t=7546

Seth Project and the Crippled Old Man (wrist extension)
viewtopic.php?t=6760

Grip Technique
viewtopic.php?t=6148

Working From the Hit Backwards
viewtopic.php?t=6693

Ken Climo grip
viewtopic.php?t=6152

Shoulder angle, plant foot, and pull though.
viewtopic.php?t=6473

Short approaches
viewtopic.php?t=6338

Video footage: Iowa pro Mike Robinson
viewtopic.php?t=6323

What's really so bad about OAT's?
viewtopic.php?t=5792

Driving primer with video links:
viewtopic.php?t=8964&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Snap 2009 - more discussion about obtaining snap - some great comments from Blake
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13291

Kel's Video on Hip rotation/hip twist
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14245&p=202926#p202926

Maxing out @ 300'? Check out this thread with a knowledge bomb from Blake on page 4
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Last edited by black udder on Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:03 am, edited 16 times in total.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Eric O » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:11 am

awesome! Now let's get this stickied.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bcsst26 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:13 am

Nice work blackudder. Now can you work some more magic and get this stuff into my form :roll:
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:26 am

Give it time, grasshopper :)

It's hard to beat somebody looking at you throw and giving comments - if you have video, you can do it yourself.

If you don't have video - make a list of the few things you're focusing on - you'll feel wrist snap, but stuff like hip pivot, shoulder rotation - disc releasing in front vs to the left or right, release angle, etc.

You can then have somebody watch you throw some shots and ask them to check for specific things (i.e. hey - tell me if I'm pivoting my hips (like this - show them) or rotating around my plant foot (like this - show them), then throw a shot or two focusing on what you want to do. See what they see. When they know what to look for, it won't be too hard to see it.

One thing I'm learning is that I need to trust my aim - so many times, I line everything up, then go through my throw and focus on where the disc is going when really, I need to focus on my throw instead. I've already lined myself up for the shot, I just have to execute properly and it will go where I intend. However, if I line up right, but don't execute right, then who knows where it's going. Seems to help some and take my mind off the shot consequence phobias.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby bcsst26 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:40 am

black udder wrote:Give it time, grasshopper :)

It's hard to beat somebody looking at you throw and giving comments - if you have video, you can do it yourself.

If you don't have video - make a list of the few things you're focusing on - you'll feel wrist snap, but stuff like hip pivot, shoulder rotation - disc releasing in front vs to the left or right, release angle, etc.

You can then have somebody watch you throw some shots and ask them to check for specific things (i.e. hey - tell me if I'm pivoting my hips (like this - show them) or rotating around my plant foot (like this - show them), then throw a shot or two focusing on what you want to do. See what they see. When they know what to look for, it won't be too hard to see it.

One thing I'm learning is that I need to trust my aim - so many times, I line everything up, then go through my throw and focus on where the disc is going when really, I need to focus on my throw instead. I've already lined myself up for the shot, I just have to execute properly and it will go where I intend. However, if I line up right, but don't execute right, then who knows where it's going. Seems to help some and take my mind off the shot consequence phobias.

Hehe...yeah I know. This site rocks thats for sure. Nothing better than people willing to analyze your videos. Anyways I went out last night and worked on throwing relaxed, close to the body, straight pull and it felt pretty good. I will work on this for a while and post another video probably next week. I know I have it in me, it will just take time to harness it(assuming I know what it is).
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby RoomTenONine » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:13 pm

This is awesome, but it would be nice if the links were made so they had descriptions instead of just HTML addresses.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Sanny Q-Sentinel

Postby Parks » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:17 pm

RoomTenONine wrote:This is awesome, but it would be nice if the links were made so they had descriptions instead of just HTML addresses.

Agreed. It would make it much easier to use for a new person.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:31 pm

Heh, I was gonna say the same thing...thanks for compiling these though, BU.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:19 pm

damn it - you can just read them all? LOL I thought about it though, too.

Some don't mean much "Masterbeato's form", etc. But I'll see if I can edit.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby sunspot » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:08 pm

Thanks for the sticky. I'm going to be working on the stationary position to get the idea of snap, acceleration, weight transfer, etc.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Re: Technique Primer - Look here first!

Postby koffee » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:52 pm

First off this technique section is awesome there is a lot of stuff to go through but I am treating it like an elephant, I am just plowing slowly through this information. I truly appreciated the time it took to put this stuff together and it has helped me a ton.

As I read different tip and technique articles there were lots of references of going to a field. So that is what I started today, going to a field measuring out distances and see how my work has progressed with using just a mid and a putter. For this last week I played 18 holes using only those discs.

I still have not added a full x-step in my delivery. As I have changed so many things in 6 days my thinking was that this would add unwanted complications on what I am currently working on.

Max distance with a jk aviar-x 170 putter was 200 ft straight shot with good accuracy. If I pushed it any more I would become very inconsistent. I did the same distance with a hyzer. With the anhyzer I was still all over the place about 30 percent of the shots hitting the ground hard and rolling. I am thinking I have just never really used this shot as I always used my forehand. So I might just be having distance issues and how to adjust the angle of the disc in my hand.

With the Buzz I am able to hit 250 with control and the same with the hyzer. The anhyzer is pretty scary but I will just keep grinding that out.

I am pretty jazzed as I have picked up shots that I was never able to utilize. The biggest one is throwing the disc straight and not having to look for some kind of crazy hyzer or forehand shot. My score has not suffered much either. I am about even or one stroke behind where I was just using my putter and a buzz. I do lack a lot of distance but with the increased control I don’t find myself having a 200 upshot from behind crazy cover after driving 350 and that was pretty standard in my old game.

Thanks again for the help

CHEERS - Koffee
koffee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby BrotherDave » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Question, there was a thread on here somewhere that was about line-shaping drills, broken into regiments like sweeping hyzers one day, annys the next day or whatever. I can't find it. Can anybody help me out? Thanks.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Whiz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:47 pm

It is in the assignments section. Line shaping drills I believe it was called. Very useful exercise.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby pdiddy71 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:19 am

is there a overhand throw technique thread? I can throw tomahawks fine, it is the thumber that want to get more info on.
pdiddy71
Noob

Favorite Disc: valkyrie / wasp

Return to Technique