Out of Bounds?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Out of Bounds?

Postby Smoke » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:38 am

I played in small league tournament yesterday and we came to Hole #17, being that I was the last on the box and still had a decent lead I wanted to try something as an experiment. However as soon as I threw the shot, most of the people in the group started complaining that it was out of bounds, 1 stroke penalty, etc etc you get the idea. Two other guys and myself said that it was legal because my disc did not come to rest in the OB. Here is the break down of the hole and the shot. ( please excuse the crappy pics, I didn't take any so I had to make due)

This is the hole. The red rectangle at the bottom is the teepad, the red X at the top is the basket. The black circle is a bunch of concrete slabs laying on the ground and standing up. Most are laying down, making them only about 2ft high, but 2 of them are standing upright making them aprox 8ft high. If you land behind them it's a pain to get out.

This is of the shot that I took. All the same as above, and the black line is the shot. It was an air roller, it touched down in the road and rolled up the road and came to rest in the bottom corner of the grass. Completely surrounded by in bounds grass on all sides as well as sitting on grass.

It's not the shot that I normally take, but it just looked interesting and I figured that there was no harm in trying..well I didn't expect that kind of a response from the group.

In case it's needed there is this as well

PDGA Rule: 803.09 Out of Bounds
A. A disc shall be considered out-of-bounds only when it comes to rest and it is clearly and completely surrounded by the out-of-bounds area. A disc thrown in water shall be deemed to be at rest once it is floating or is moving only by the action of the water or the wind on the water. See section 803.03 F. The out-of-bounds line itself is considered out-of-bounds. In order to consider the disc as out-of-bounds, there must be reasonable evidence that the disc came to rest within the out-of-bounds area. In the absence of such evidence, the disc will be considered lost and the player will proceed according to rule 803.11B.

B. A player whose disc is considered out-of-bounds shall receive one penalty throw. The player may elect to play the next shot from:
(1) The previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker disc has been moved from an approximate lie, as agreed to by the majority of the group or an official; or (2) A lie that is up to one meter away from and perpendicular to the point where the disc last crossed into out-of-bounds, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. This holds true even if the direction takes the lie closer to the hole; or
(3) Within the designated Drop Zone, if provided. These options may be limited by the tournament director as a special condition (see 804.01).

C. The Rule of Verticality. The out-of-bounds line represents a vertical plane. Where a player’s lie is marked from a particular point within one meter of the out-of-bounds line pursuant to the rules, the one-meter relief may be taken from the particular point upward or downward along the vertical plane.

D. If the in-bounds status of a disc is uncertain, either a majority of the group or an official shall make the determination. If the thrower moves the disc before a determination has been made, the disc shall be considered out-of-bounds, and he or she shall proceed in accordance with 803.09 B counting all throws made prior to the determination of the in-bounds status of the original lie. If a player other than the thrower moves the disc before a determination has been made, the disc shall be considered in-bounds, and play for the thrower and the mover of the disc shall proceed under the rules of interference, 803.07 B and C.
Last edited by Smoke on Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm neither a bear, nor a cheetah..I'm a WOLVERINE!

"Must get past the first tree....um the second one too." - Bill
"Start the lawnmower..smack the midget." - D, when talking about how to throw
"No Low Putts!" - Hell if I know
Smoke
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Mike-S » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:48 am

Your second picture doesnt load.

Regardless, if the shot comes to rest IB then it's IB. Doesnt matter if it touches OB or not on the way there. It doesnt even have to be completely surrounded by grass to be IB. As long as your disc was touching grass once it came to a stop, its fine.
Mike-S
Tree Magnet

Re: Out of Bounds?

Postby mark12b » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:29 pm

Smoke wrote:However as soon as I threw the shot, most of the people in the group started complaining that it was out of bounds

[...]

A. A disc shall be considered out-of-bounds only when it comes to rest

if they were calling it out of bounds before it came to rest, they were clearly in the wrong.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smoke » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:03 pm

mark12b wrote:
Smoke wrote:However as soon as I threw the shot, most of the people in the group started complaining that it was out of bounds

[...]

A. A disc shall be considered out-of-bounds only when it comes to rest

if they were calling it out of bounds before it came to rest, they were clearly in the wrong.

I figured as much, but wanted to make sure I was not reading the rules wrong or that I missed something simple.

Smoke
Tree Magnet

Postby jnecessary » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:13 pm

nice shot!

unless there is a mando that says you gotta stay left of that road...they are wrong.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Smoke » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:54 pm

jnecessary wrote:nice shot!

unless there is a mando that says you gotta stay left of that road...they are wrong.

Thank you, to be honest I didn't think it would work. I am borderline inconsistent with my rollers.

Smoke
Tree Magnet

Postby rKp » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:50 pm

Looks like a great shot to me.
rKp
Tree Magnet

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:53 pm

That hole looks like #17 at MSU. If so then the crossing roads are generally not considered OB only the roads on the left and right. As a general ruleon that course if the disc has o cross a road to get from tee to basket the road is not OB. And clearly that was a great shot and not OB
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby JKP » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:00 pm

sweet shot, what kind of distance was it?
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby Smoke » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:47 pm

MIdiscgolfer wrote:That hole looks like #17 at MSU. If so then the crossing roads are generally not considered OB only the roads on the left and right. As a general ruleon that course if the disc has o cross a road to get from tee to basket the road is not OB. And clearly that was a great shot and not OB

That is exactly right. We played MSU when Grand Woods was flooded out and I am actually starting to like MSU more now that I play it more often. Only thing is, that course is way to easy with no wind.

patterson21 wrote:sweet shot, what kind of distance was it?

It's marked at I believe 495 ft. That shot left me approximately a 35ft putt ( I know I was outside the circle, but not but alot) so I would guess about a 450ft-460ft shot?

Smoke
Tree Magnet

Re:

Postby chunk » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:48 am

rKp wrote:Looks like a great shot to me.

ditto and sounds legal to me.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Dig It » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:56 am

Not only is it not OB, it's a nice bird leave.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Return to Rules Discussion