Hi guys! A few questions...

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Hightower » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:10 pm

[quote="superq"]might try a slipstream, roadrunner, scream dt...

I usually recomend a stingray or cobra for new players, most people are still strugeling with distance and height problems if you are throwing the disc flat and hard you may skip that and go to a longer driver instead.[/quote]

What do you mean by struggling with "height"? Am I supposed to be getting a lot of elevation on my throws? Or is it better to keep them low? Right now my throws hardly rise at all, due to modifying my throw to swing my arm downward just after release (the intent being to keep the nose down). It doesn't happen very much anymore, but I can tell when I fail to do this because the disc flies high, doesn't go very far, and then falls hard to the left.

If I am supposed to be getting a lot of elevation, how do I go about doing that while keeping the nose down? Somebody mentioned using the wrist, but I'm not sure I understand.

HT
Hightower
Noob

Postby swel304 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:41 pm

I think he means if you are haveing trouble keeping it low as most people do when they are first starting out. Im guessing that the way your adjusting your throw to get nose down could lead to some hard to break bad habits in the long run. you may want to check out the nose angle/flight path article here
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... gles.shtml
in fact i would highly reccomend reading all the instruction/tech repair/throw analysis articles on the site, and dont be afraid to reread them until you feel you understand it fully.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Eric O » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Hightower » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:13 pm

Alright, I took your advice and went out and bought a few discs today. I have an aviar, a shark, a leopard (came in a pack - I hear the leopard and aviar are great discs, anyway and I've never used a "mid-range" disc before like the shark). I also bought a valkyrie in the champion plastic. I'm not sure if I'll be able to use this disc effectively yet, but I'll give it a shot and see how it goes - I'm hoping it works out so I can use this tougher plastic for my drives and stop breaking discs all the time!

Unfortunately, before I could get a chance to go out and play a round or two, a storm blew in. Figures, huh?

HT
Hightower
Noob

Postby krusen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:21 am

Hightower wrote:Alright, I took your advice and went out and bought a few discs today. I have an aviar, a shark, a leopard (came in a pack - I hear the leopard and aviar are great discs, anyway and I've never used a "mid-range" disc before like the shark). I also bought a valkyrie in the champion plastic. I'm not sure if I'll be able to use this disc effectively yet, but I'll give it a shot and see how it goes - I'm hoping it works out so I can use this tougher plastic for my drives and stop breaking discs all the time!
HT

Good purchase. Yes, the Aviar is a good putter and the shark is a great midrange for a beginner. You will probably be able to throw it nearly as far as your drivers until you really get your form down. What weight is the Valk? That makes a big difference also. If nothin else it will work well for you in headwinds until it gets broken in some. The leopard should also be a good disc for you.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Rooster » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:40 am

if he bought the three pack set the lep shark and aviar are all 150 class.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Hightower » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:09 am

Not sure the weight on the Valkyrie. As for the others, if they're 150 that'll be interesting. I'm curious to see what difference it makes for me. But until this stupid storm passes I won't get a chance to try any of them.

HT
Hightower
Noob

Previous

Return to General Discussion