chunk's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

chunk's bag

Postby chunk » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:36 am

drivers:
150 dx gazelle
168 dx leopord
171 champ roadrunner

mids:
172 dx roc (really beat)
172 dx roc (new)
180 dx roc (new for windy days)
171 dx stingray (really beat)
171 dx stingray (new)

putter
(2) 171 dx avairs

thoughts? i'm still a noob and get my putters out ~ 200' and my drivers 250 - 300' on a good day.
Last edited by chunk on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby mark12b » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:43 am

i don't see anything really predictable in the driver lineup -- when it's windy do you just throw the 180 roc? if you like the gazelle, you might want to pick up a few around 170-172g and eventually you'd have a broken-in one for turnovers, a straight one for distance and controllability, and a new one that is more predictable (i.e. finishes left reliably) than any of the drivers you're carrying now. those three gazelles could replace all three of the current drivers and is a really sweet setup.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby PRES 10 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:23 pm

I'd drop some mids. 3 drivers and 5 mids with 300ish feet power? Maybe drop ur beat roc or ur new stingray. and for a driver a gazelle is a good choice maybe a teebird it would be good for wind if ur looking for a little bit more distance a lighter driver such as a 165g gazelle,tbird, or even a valk should do nicely
Ion|Vector|Leopard|Firebird|Valkyrie|Katana
Soon the MVP Axis!
PRES 10
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ION

Postby chunk » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:26 pm

mark12b wrote:i don't see anything really predictable in the driver lineup -- when it's windy do you just throw the 180 roc? if you like the gazelle, you might want to pick up a few around 170-172g and eventually you'd have a broken-in one for turnovers, a straight one for distance and controllability, and a new one that is more predictable (i.e. finishes left reliably) than any of the drivers you're carrying now. those three gazelles could replace all three of the current drivers and is a really sweet setup.

i guess i'm a little confused. i throw the gazelle when i want the disc to go left, the leopard straight, and the roadrunner right.

are the gazelle and leopard the same mold?
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:51 pm

chunk wrote:
mark12b wrote:are the gazelle and leopard the same mold?

Not even close.

I think what mark was getting at is that the Gazelle will beat-in from being a left turner to being straight and eventually to turning right. He's suggesting that you carry one in each stage of wear.

These 3 Gazelles in various stages of wear will duplicate your current setup of Gazelle, Leopard, and Roadrunner.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby mark12b » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:01 pm

they're not the same mold, but when a gazelle gets broken in, it will fly straight. and when it gets broken in even more, it will make a really nice turnover driver.

since the leopard and sidewinder don't have stabilizers (notch or bead or concave wing), they're not good into a headwind, and since the gazelle is so light, it's not that great either (it does have a notched wing, which helps). so, that's the reason for recommending a heavier gazelle.

once that starts finishing more straight than left, you could drop the leopard and get a new gazelle for the somewhat-overstable slot (and you *will* want to, because that broken-in gazelle will be your favorite disc :D ).
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby chunk » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:47 am

thanks. what about teebirds? they seem similar to gazelles, just a little bit faster.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Postby mark12b » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:25 am

teebirds are faster than gazelles, and are more nose-angle sensitive. they're great at teaching proper form (if you don't throw them well they won't fly well), and great at shots in the "straight" family -- straight with a gradual left finish, straight with a straight finish, and straight with a gradual turnover that doesn't come back. it's like the roc of drivers -- controllable but nothing fancy flight-wise.

discs like the gazelle and eagle-x are generally considered more versatile because once they break in a bit they have some high-speed right turn but still come out of it and finish left at the end. this can give you a lot of shots that aren't really possible with a teebird.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Re: chunk's noob bag

Postby chunk » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:20 pm

here's an update on my bag. i also have a 150 dx teebird i just bought that i'm going to try out during field practice.

commments?

drivers:
stable control
- 166 dx gazelle (worn)

moderately overstable
- 166 dx gazelle (new)

very overstable
- 172 champ teebird (high wind - fh rollers)

distance
- 171 champ roadrunner

understable
- 150 dx gazelle (beat)
- 168 dx leopard (worn)

mids:
- 171 dx roc (beat)
- 172 dx roc (new)
- 171 dx stingray (bh rollers - beat)

putters:
- 170 star idye bb aviar (new)
- 170 dx aviar p&a (new)
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Re: chunk's bag

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:36 pm

looks good, id bounce those stingrays out though, you should be able to do anything those can do (but better) with a beat roc
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby black udder » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:36 pm

if that roadrunner is going right, you have some form issues. It takes more than 300' of power to make it go right (especially at 170g+). The leopard should also be a turnover disc with more power/better form.

I think the stingray is actually an old driver, too. It would take the slot of your road runner (should you choose).
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby chunk » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:09 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:looks good, id bounce those stingrays out though, you should be able to do anything those can do (but better) with a beat roc

i dunno... i've had a stingray in by bag since the first day i played dg. i'm just used to seeing it in there.

black udder wrote:if that roadrunner is going right, you have some form issues. It takes more than 300' of power to make it go right (especially at 170g+). The leopard should also be a turnover disc with more power/better form.

I think the stingray is actually an old driver, too. It would take the slot of your road runner (should you choose).

the roadrunner isn't turning over, but it does go right with a nice fade left at the end when i throw it on an anny line.

innova did call the stingray a driver when it first came out, but now they call it a mid. the one currently in my bag is so beat it easily turns over. that's why i use it primarily for rollers.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Postby chunk » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:43 am

12/30 update: this bag is working great for me. i had dropped the stingray but i'm thinking of adding it back in since i lost my beat roc on sunday. :(

the only disc i think needs replacing is my overstable driver slot. the champ teebird is starting to beat in a bit and is beginning to fly more like a typical teebird. anyone have any suggestions? i was thinking of adding an eagle or something.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:51 am

I never noticed a significant enough difference to warrant carry Teebirds and Eagles. If you like the Teebird, add another new Champ. If you're looking for more stability, try a lighter Predator or Firebird.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby chunk » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:55 am

i was going to post my bag for comments in a new thread until i found one of my original posts on this board and thought it'd be cool to see some progression. anyway he's what my bag looks like now. i think it's a solid bag so let me know what you think.

a little about me... 45 y/o throwing rhbh with the occational flick. i've been playing 3.5 years and throw 350' on a good rip but usually in the neighborhood of 325'. people who see me throw say my form is really smooth.

putters:
175g jk x 2 (1 beat for putting and 1 newish for drives)

mids:
172g dx roc (beat to snot for turnovers)
175g dx roc (beat straight)
180g dx roc (flat and overstable)

fairway: i'm in the process of transitioning back to t-birds and didn't like how hard new eagles finish left
168g dx eagle x (beat to snot used for bh rollers and hyzer flips i need to finish right)
170g star eagle x (beat, used for straight hyzer flips and turnovers)
167g star TL (still pretty new, used for straight shots finishing left)
171g star t-bird (new, fills overstable slot for now)

distance:
167g star FL (headwind and forehand shots)
175g champ cfr glow firebird (thanks biscoe! same as above)
164g star RR (turnover, big hyzer flips)
175g star RR (straight and turnovers i still want to finish left)
164g star beast (stable distance driver)
170g pro orc (overstable distance driver)
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion