Blisters

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Blisters

Postby Weebl » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:07 pm

I developed a blister on my index finger after I got 2 new drivers in pro plastic, even if I wrap the finger tip in tape, 3 throws later the tape is torn and my blister is exposed again. I will just have to settle for waiting till it heals while practicing putting. Is the result of this blister because I have bad form? or is it possible the reason is the grippy plastic is just grabbing the skin too much? (I also have the biggest hand, I have yet to meet a person who has bigger hands, could this be a factor?)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:13 pm

sounds like you are getting a lot of slide friction. ideally the disc will overpower the joint and "rip" out as once the joint is powered open the disc should leave on its own.

chances are you are pulling into the rip with more strength than you are finishing the rip, causing the disc to slide out early before the force transfer happens that occurs w/ dg snap.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby mkpowers » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:03 pm

I throw 1-2 finger sidearm, and when I started throwing I got a blister which developed into a callous. I figured out that I got the blister because of a really rough edge on my Valkyrie. I smoothed down the edge, and it stopped hurting.
mkpowers
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:41 pm

Not sure if this helps, but some local players used to tape their first 2 fingers. They said it had to do with grip.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:26 am

Blake_T wrote:sounds like you are getting a lot of slide friction. ideally the disc will overpower the joint and "rip" out as once the joint is powered open the disc should leave on its own.

chances are you are pulling into the rip with more strength than you are finishing the rip, causing the disc to slide out early before the force transfer happens that occurs w/ dg snap.

So, to correct this should I not have as far of a reachback? While this blister is healing, I'm also working on my x-step, to get my hip-snap up to potential, I'm guessing this will help some of that early release problems I'm having, is there anything else I should focus on, or for the fact of the matter, be focusing on not doing?

Now, off to re-read your instructional articles.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:36 am

it's more of a focus... to "learn" the feel of it it is easier to do without much of a reach back, or even just throwing some while starting at the 3/4 through your throw mark.

you may want to go for tape in the long run. i have a problem with callouses that crack due to dryness and i tape up during every round.
Blake_T

Postby Weebl » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:56 pm

What type of tape do you use? Electrical Tape, Gaff Tape, Duct Tape, Packing Tape?
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:25 pm

the people that have the worst problem with this generally use duct tape.

i personally only have problems in a few spots so i generally use johnson & johnson waterproof medical tape as it's fairly smooth on the outside and quite thick.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:32 am

Blake_T wrote:the people that have the worst problem with this generally use duct tape.

i personally only have problems in a few spots so i generally use johnson & johnson waterproof medical tape as it's fairly smooth on the outside and quite thick.

I carry the tape you use to tape an ankle or knee, and the players that tape their fingers were borrowing it and splitting it down the middle to make it thinner.

I don't think I ever replaced my last roll.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to General Discussion