a few questions.

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

a few questions.

Postby redspexxx » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:35 am

just a couple of quick questions:
1. i am getting a calous or something on my right index finger(grip finger), i've seen some people wearing tape and stuff on their fingers, does this affect your snap or anything and are there better kinds to use as opposed to others.

2. im playing in a tourny where rain might be a factor. what kinds of discs are best for rain play(wet grip, strong winds etc)

3 follow through on a drive , where can i find a video or article?
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:38 am

1) tape affects feel more than it affects snap.

2) rain = dx plastic. wind = overstable plastic.

3) player throw analysis.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby zealot » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:45 am

dx plastic in the rain for sure. try to relax your power on your drive just a tiny bit if its soaked. i would use an overstable disc in the wind unless its blowing left (assuming you are RHBH) then reach for something slightly understable like a leopard or sidewinder.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:53 am

also I reccomend trying to keep your discs dry anyways ;-) (towel, closed bag, holding the disc under your shirt/jacket until its your turn to throw) I know you cant always do this (like when your towel is wet or its POURING) also rub your fingers on the disc where you plan to grip, the friction warms the plastic up evaporates some moisture and will give you a really good grip.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby redspexxx » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:10 pm

thanks. 1 more question. i usually putt with a kc aviar, but if the wind is bad i was wondering if i should go with a bulldog. think tropical storm weather
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Rooster » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:17 pm

prolly shouldn't be playing in a tropical storm. that may be the one time "that tree came outta nowhere" might actually be true.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby redspexxx » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:31 pm

not actually in the storm, just the messy stuff that follows, gulf weather. but still yea like possible 30-40 mph winds. so im thinking teerex's and star rocs...
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Amateur » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:41 pm

Star plastic is the most slick plastic when raining in my experience.

Whenever it's raining here I do not do a full runup, just the x step. Seems to keep me from slipping and sliding.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Solty » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:53 pm

i played yesterday in the NE PA rains. I took my time throwing an dried off every disc as much as i could before throwing. Yes...Star = UberSlick....luckily i was on a shorter course and didnt any of my bomber discs other than my teebirds and a dx wraith that i use for hyzer flips. Used my KC Pro Roc for my majority of drives...

innova dry towels rock!
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby BHW » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:27 pm

Just a quick towel thought, those towels Innova sells, you can buy an 8 pack of those same micro-fiber towels only without the eyelet for a hook, for about $5. I think the Innova $7.99 price tag is simply ridiculous. Hit WalMart or Target for a bundle, in the car-care department.
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby jgarcia9102 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:58 pm

i got mine free in a tourny and they are great. i dont really carry mine though because there is only one local course that dosent go into the woods (out of 7, and it happens to be the farthest one from me) and in the woods it gets covered in leaves and those tiny little green balls. it becomes more of a nussiance than anything else, considering if worse comes to worse and my shot goes into the pond, ill wipe it on my shirt. at that point im probably in the water up to my waist anyways, so for me, a towel isnt all that necesary. i have carried it in the rain before, but again, the thing is a leaf magnet no matter what the weather,...
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:51 pm

BHW wrote:Just a quick towel thought, those towels Innova sells, you can buy an 8 pack of those same micro-fiber towels only without the eyelet for a hook, for about $5. I think the Innova $7.99 price tag is simply ridiculous. Hit WalMart or Target for a bundle, in the car-care department.

yeah they are a rip, I carry towels in my bag anyways, if it is accually raining a towel hanging off your bag is useless, even if it drags in wet grass its less dosnt help, much less setting the bag down in the grass . the only completely helpful use i can think of would be if you throw your disc in the drink on a dry day...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:57 pm

Blake summarized it all.

In rain stay away from star, esp, champion, and elite z plastic. Pro d or dx is the best here.

For tape, it works okay. I quit carrying because everyone was borrowing it and I was going through it too quick.

Follow through, is there anyone in your course that is a decent player? Play with them and watch.

Hope this helps without being redundant!
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby redspexxx » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:47 pm

could you tape a piece of sandpaper to your thumb and pointer finger? is this illegal? would this help at all?
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Terrence » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:52 am

The best disc golf towel I've found are plain food service bar mops. They're large, absorbent, and most importantly, cheap! I work at a restaruant so I acquired these easily. You may have to go to a kitchen supply store.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/ ... 13_1006996
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Return to General Discussion