I just don't understand

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:03 pm

i think counting a DROT would be pretty lame (although it is harder than getting in he basket) i would rather disallow wedgies than go the other direction
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:30 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Any disc supported by the basket is in. So discs hanging on the nubs like the photo are good.

Thanks Chuck! It's a toss up to me as far as counting a putt if it's on top. I guess I'd rather have the wedgy & the topper be the same, good or not good.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:35 pm

Since we're in the process of updating the target specs, one of the possibilities is that a recommendation will be made for new designs to reduce or eliminate the chance for a disc to stick in the side of the basket. But there are many baskets already out there that will take 20 years to replace.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rehder » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:48 pm

well then dont outlaw them outright. Just make all future targets comply to a certain spec, (and while you are at it, reduce the width of the deflection device, like it has been talked about on the pdga forum)

Then you can allow all existing baskets for the next 10-20 years or longer for normal play. But Majors and NT's for example need to have them by 2009/2010 or 2001 and then from there on down give more time before the baskets have to be changed/modified.

But as someone on the pdga board pointed out, the longer we wait the more baskets will have to be changed at some point.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fullbag » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:24 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:There's growing support but it's still a minority that think that way. There may be more support the other direction to disallow wedgies. But many seem to like the occasional comedy routine of a player sprinting to the basket to retrieve it before it pops out... :lol:

Doesn't the rule about a disc coming to a rest apply to this? I don't have my rule book here at the moment so I can't check it out myself.
Fullbag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Aviar

Postby jeremy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:14 am

Fullbag wrote:
Chuck Kennedy wrote:There's growing support but it's still a minority that think that way. There may be more support the other direction to disallow wedgies. But many seem to like the occasional comedy routine of a player sprinting to the basket to retrieve it before it pops out... :lol:

Doesn't the rule about a disc coming to a rest apply to this? I don't have my rule book here at the moment so I can't check it out myself.

A wedgie is at rest until it falls out before you retreive it.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:01 am

If a player throws a wedgie and asks the group to call the disc at rest, then the player doesn't have to move quickly to retrieve it. However, some groups may not do so. In which case, the player needs to move quickly to retrieve the wedgie before it possibly pops out. The rulebook has no independent method for determining when a disc is at rest. It's entirely up to the group or an official to make the call.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jeremy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:41 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:If a player throws a wedgie and asks the group to call the disc at rest, then the player doesn't have to move quickly to retrieve it. However, some groups may not do so. In which case, the player needs to move quickly to retrieve the wedgie before it possibly pops out. The rulebook has no independent method for determining when a disc is at rest. It's entirely up to the group or an official to make the call.

Very interesting, I was under the understanding that it had to be removed by the thrower before it fell out. That if it did fall out it wasn't counted as an ace. That does make since if it is wedged it is no longer moving.

What about if one player makes his putt and the other player putts and somehow knocks the origional players disc out of the basket somehow. Can the group say well you were in the basket and the disc was at rest we will call it good?
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:55 am

The position of any disc on the playing surface or supported by the target gets replaced if moved by the action of another disc. Since you're not supposed to throw until the previous player's throw is completed, i.e. disc is at rest, if another shot is taken, the previous one is presumed to be 'at rest' by default.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Rules Discussion