tournement rules

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

tournement rules

Postby swel304 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:10 pm

The local disc club for my course has a doubles game every wed. Guys keep asking my to join in and since my scores are staying pretty consitant and my game isnt quite so embarassing anymore I figure I may attend this week. I assume they are using standard rules so I was looking at them to find out anything I may not know (like how exactly to mark with mini's as ive never used em). Im sure they wont be too strict and will help me learn as we go but i'd like to have an idea what to expect. one rule I came across that I dont quite understand is this..
Falling putts are not permitted within a 10 meter circle of the target. Full balance on the putt within 10 meters must be attained.

If anyone can explain that one to me and any other pointers would be appriciated too.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby zealot » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:19 pm

you cant step forward when you putt until it hits
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby deaddisc » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:48 am

putt has to hit and stop moving in chains before you can fall w/in 30 meters (about 35 feet). other general OB rules apply, the strictness of mini usage will vary w/each league. Not sure what else, but prob so more general curtisy rules.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zealot » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:07 am

dont smoke upwind of people
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby swel304 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:57 am

Havent had a cig in over 6 months :D
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:31 pm

deaddisc wrote:putt has to hit and stop moving in chains before you can fall w/in 30 meters (about 35 feet). other general OB rules apply, the strictness of mini usage will vary w/each league. Not sure what else, but prob so more general curtisy rules.

10 meters = 32.808399 feet
And you only get one falling putt per round before it becomes a stroke penalty each time thereafter.

IMO you should always follow the Mini rules set forth by the PDGA.
Your thrown disc can act as a marker and your foot or hand must be directly behind the center line from the pole of the target thru the center of your maker. Not a little right or left or in front of. Or you can use a mini marker. Same rules apply. Also you can put your foot in a direct line behind your marker disc 11.75inches as well, which can come in handy if you are under a tree or next to a tree, that 11.75 inches can save your ass. It's a little known rule that people often forget about. It's not an 11.75 radius circle, it's a direct line, that's the part people get confused on. A direct line from the pole of the basket thru the center of your marker.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby swel304 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:35 pm

so if my foot is behind the marker or disc, what about the other foot? can it be in front of the disc? and could someone post a link to the official pdga mini rules? i cant seem to find it.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby steezo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:51 pm

here is the link to the marker rule http://pdga.com/rules/index.php The rest of the rules can be found here as well
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby Fritz » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:56 am

swel304 wrote:so if my foot is behind the marker or disc, what about the other foot? can it be in front of the disc? and could someone post a link to the official pdga mini rules? i cant seem to find it.

No. Here is a diagram (not to scale of course and it took like 2 minutes to make so it's a little rough):

So basically as long as your disc/body is behind the line drawn behind the marker disc, you can put your other foot as far as you can stretch.
Hope this makes sense.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby steezo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:46 am

The diagram is misleading. You can have one foot that appears to be ahead of the mini marker, as in a straddle putt but it is actually the same distance from the mini marker to the basket. The diagram should be shown in a radius rather than perpendicular. Think of the basket as the center of a pie and the mini marker the outer pie(rounded).
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Postby presidio hills » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:33 pm

true, steezo. i like that diagram, though... grimey.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fritz » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:34 pm

steezo wrote:The diagram is misleading. You can have one foot that appears to be ahead of the mini marker, as in a straddle putt but it is actually the same distance from the mini marker to the basket. The diagram should be shown in a radius rather than perpendicular. Think of the basket as the center of a pie and the mini marker the outer pie(rounded).

But if you straddle putt, your other foot must be behind the line the is perpendicular to the mini/marker and the basket it can not be in a radius, at least that's how it has been explained to me by the local tournament directors. One foot must be directly behind the center of the marker and with in 11.75" directly behind the marker. At no point can your other foot be ahead of the line that follows perpendicular to the back of your marker and the basket.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby steezo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:57 pm

One foot has to be directly behind the mini marker or disc, this is true. So if your mini marker or disc is 30ft from the basket than one foot would have to be behind the mini (30 ft) and the other can be anywhere but not closer than 30 ft to the basket. If your diagram was true than each point to the left or right of the mini would be farther than 30 ft from the basket. But if you think of a radius (pie) than you can understand that a radius of 30 ft to the basket is the ruling.
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bigs348 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:58 pm

deaddisc wrote:putt has to hit and stop moving in chains before you can fall w/in 30 meters (about 35 feet).

that's not true actually. it doesn't matter whether the putt hits or misses or is still moving in the air, the only stipulation when putting within 10 meters is that you must demonstrate full balance before stepping over your mini marker.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby steezo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:13 pm

bigs348 is correct. 803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off C. Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation . The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the hole.
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to General Discussion