tournement rules

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:39 pm

bigs348 wrote:
deaddisc wrote:putt has to hit and stop moving in chains before you can fall w/in 30 meters (about 35 feet).

that's not true actually. it doesn't matter whether the putt hits or misses or is still moving in the air, the only stipulation when putting within 10 meters is that you must demonstrate full balance before stepping over your mini marker.

I think anywhere within 10 meters is close enough for the disc to be in the chains before youve been there long enough to demonstate balance.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby bigs348 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:00 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:
bigs348 wrote:
deaddisc wrote:putt has to hit and stop moving in chains before you can fall w/in 30 meters (about 35 feet).

that's not true actually. it doesn't matter whether the putt hits or misses or is still moving in the air, the only stipulation when putting within 10 meters is that you must demonstrate full balance before stepping over your mini marker.

I think anywhere within 10 meters is close enough for the disc to be in the chains before youve been there long enough to demonstate balance.

This is true, but you could be in the process of falling over and be trying to catch yourself, but if your putt hits and comes to rest, and then you fall over...that's still not legal. Demonstrating balance is the key...the disc's position in the air, basket, whatever has nothing to do with a falling putt -- it's only your stance that matters.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fritz » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:27 am

Intresting about hte pie, I understand what you are saying now. No closer but there is a radius around the basket of for instance 30feet. So as long as you aren't at 29.5' then you would be fine being "in front" of your marker but you really aren't in front it jsut appears that way. hmmm that could come in very handy when near a tree :)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:33 am

How do you guys measure the 30 feet? I've been working on learning jump putts and have had a few ppl tell me that I am within 30 feet, but how do they know? I actually think i have a good perception of this distance from target shooting as 30 feet is where I like to practice my pistols.

I saw someone jump putt yesterday and it looked more like 20 feet, not that it really mattered to me other than reciprocal calls, but how would I go about demonstrating this?

I now carry a tape measure for when discs are stuck in trees (from previous calls...), but I don't know what to do about getting called for jump putting. Incidentally, I'm just trying to learn to do so right now.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:49 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:How do you guys measure the 30 feet? I've been working on learning jump putts and have had a few ppl tell me that I am within 30 feet, but how do they know? I actually think i have a good perception of this distance from target shooting as 30 feet is where I like to practice my pistols.
What I have to say may not be that useful, but here goes...

If you are inside the circle, you shouldn't need to be jump putting anyway. If I understand correctly, the jump is a result of additional weight transfer, rather than the cause of it. Within a minimum of 10ft outside the circle, an adult male should easily be able to get enough power to push a putt into the chains firmly without having to fall forward on the follow through.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand it.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:38 am

For me, I'm 5' 8" tall and I take 11 paces to the basket = 33feet around that. If you are within 11 paces you aren't outside 33 feet for the jump putt. Best way to do it is get a tape, measure out so you can see how far 33 feet really is. It's not as big as people think.

In a tournament, ask your group if you think you are outside. Or jsut count off 11 paces.

For the record 1 pace is about 3 feet.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:47 pm

Good to know. I'm actually still developing my jump putt, so I practice it as much as I can. I really don't intend to play tournaments, but I know I have to follow tournament rules when players with others.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion