A couple new vids

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby dgdave » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:00 pm

Heres a new one. This is an x-out Champ Boss. You can't see the disc, but this was a good pull. It hit the tree line that is 400-410 away about 10-15 ft high and it was just coming out of its turn. I'd say it would have ended up in the 450-460 range if it wasn't for the trees. I've really been concentrating on accelereating late in the pull

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z25m7Woy8bA

Any critiques would be great
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby dgdave » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:12 pm

thats the wrong video. i'll ask my friend to post the right one
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:01 pm

-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby black udder » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:18 pm

You've got pretty good arm speed and you really get around (finish) well, too. It's crazy the kind of distance you're getting without fully utilizing your body...

Wouldn't mind hearing some of what you have to say about what you do re: wrist extension.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby dgdave » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:38 pm

I try to keep everything back as long as possible, then explode. I learned this throwing shot and discus in HS. Its funny you say I don't use my whole body. Mt throwing coach always used you yell at me, "Poe! You've got some damn child bearin hips on you! USE THEM!" I could still out shot putt my team.

As for wrist extension, I don't really think about it. I feel like I push my elbow forward(towards the target) and my arm follows. I think this leads to extension. If I think about it, I usually roll my wrist
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby felixtibs » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:38 pm

You get god push off to initiate your forward drive with a small side-hop rather than an X. BU is right, little of the power is generated through explosive motions but rather froma really fluid chain of events that doesnt lose its power to jerky motions.

Couldnt follow the frisbee for shit though!
felixtibs
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Swift Fox

Postby black udder » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:17 pm

DGDAVE wrote:I try to keep everything back as long as possible, then explode. I learned this throwing shot and discus in HS. Its funny you say I don't use my whole body. Mt throwing coach always used you yell at me, "Poe! You've got some damn child bearin hips on you! USE THEM!" I could still out shot putt my team.

As for wrist extension, I don't really think about it. I feel like I push my elbow forward(towards the target) and my arm follows. I think this leads to extension. If I think about it, I usually roll my wrist

It's funny - you mention shot & discus, seems like a lot of the players with distance have some other sport that relates somehow - even if it's just what Blake calls "coachability". Knowing how hard you have to practice and understanding fundamentals.

Unfortunately, my past was soccer, which Blake says is worthless. It was fun though :)

Glad to hear your comment about wrist extension. That's what I'm doing and would like to continue.

In order for me to get distance, I really do have to combine hips, then torso to reach a max rotational power. Interesting how it's looking like you can achieve super distance from what appears to be several different variations.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby black udder » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:21 pm

And the more I watch it, the less it looks like a hyzer flip. Look how upright you are and where you finish. If that's hyzer, you should be lower, no? Even for a hyzer flip, unless you're talking about using OAT.

Just what it looks like.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby dgdave » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:27 pm

I guess hyzer flip was a bad choice. It goes from a slight hyzer and flips over a bit, not from a steep hyzer to flat. It always feel like I'm putting more hyzer on it than I actually do. Most of my releases are from a slight hyzer to pretty flat.

Thanks for calling it "super distance" :)
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby JR » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:09 am

Felix it's called a shuffle step. Many top players have migrated to it and when I nail it down in form I get the best distance I've ever had with it.

Dave you're very Jarvis upright. Yet the due to the mild hyzer and probably great wrist down and/or nice drop of the nose of the disc thanks to great stopping of the wrist opening and stiffening the fingers and holding on to the disc late in the throw the disc pivots with added spin and dropping nose late in the throw.

By the way does anyone know what causes the nose to drop during disc pivot? Is it because the finger tips are round and when the disc pivots between the index and the thumb the profile of the index fingers tip doesn't support the disc upright? If one manages to hold on to the disc long enough for the gravity to do it's thing in dropping the unsupported nose while the rear of the disc is still held up by the index..
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dgdave » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:07 am

DGDAVE wrote:Heres a new one. This is an x-out Champ Boss. You can't see the disc, but this was a good pull. It hit the tree line that is 400-410 away about 10-15 ft high and it was just coming out of its turn. I'd say it would have ended up in the 450-460 range if it wasn't for the trees. I've really been concentrating on accelereating late in the pull

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z25m7Woy8bA

Any critiques would be great

I remember this shot now. This is a roll curve with a beat to hell DX Eagle L I had found a few holes before. This was in the 360 range. I left it for some karma.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:27 am

Any tips on how to effectivly add the hips besides a bigger X Step? Should I try to change my throw that much? Any other small things I could do to help out?
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby JR » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:01 am

DGDAVE wrote:Any tips on how to effectivly add the hips besides a bigger X Step? Should I try to change my throw that much? Any other small things I could do to help out?

More momentum and generated force before the hip explosion should help. One or two run up steps could help or accelerating faster in the shuffle step. Or x step. Wouldn't try to go x step route just yet because I think it's more difficult to control the late acceleration that way and accuracy may suffer from having less eye contact with the target.

One way to increase momentum is to push harder with the left leg and you're lacking in distance of acceleration with the left leg. Your knee straightens up too early lacking in speed and generated power. Something like 3-5" of lower stance and pushing the left leg straight form there would give you noticeably more momentum and power after which you're already moving the right way. Anything you do with the hips after that is both gonna be easier to start and time plus more powerful.

For non throwing practice of getting a feel for accelerating with horizontal turning of the hips ask a friend to try to hold your right shoulder in place when you try to move him back by just turning with the hips. Add more power and see how the pressure of his hands gets more intense as you increase power. Also check the difference between max power whenever it's gonna happen and an easy start and quick late finish of the rotation.

Alternatively standing with shoulder blade to a wall or a tree see how fast and far you can push yourself from the wall/tree by twisting the hips.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby black udder » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:15 am

DGDAVE wrote:Any tips on how to effectivly add the hips besides a bigger X Step? Should I try to change my throw that much? Any other small things I could do to help out?

If you have any accuracy and satisfaction with your game, I wouldn't change anything. Trying to add your hips will just screw up your timing.

Now, if you want to, by all means, join the club :)

What you're doing though is starting your throw with all upper body. To incorporate your hips, you'd start there to begin the throw and then let the rest of the body build off that initial burst of power.

You'll see when you x-step, your plant foot lands 90 degrees from your target. To utilize your hips, you'd have to pivot that plant knee into your left knee and then pivot it out. That'd mess you up, I'm pretty sure because you're not pivoting on the ball of your foot, you pivot on your heel.

Considering the distance you're getting, I wouldn't mess with it.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby rehder » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:15 am

I have lately gotten convinced that what separates the long throwers from the ones that absolutely bomb, is that these throwers have a much more explosive hipturn.

Check Källstrom, Brinster and Karl Johan Nybo.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... php?t=6844

Now as to what can be done to getting a faster hipturn I have no idea, even though I have been trying to give it some thought.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique